Differential Gene Expression in Post-Finasteride Syndrome Patients - Dr. Khera - Baylor

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1743609521005130

The Baylor epigenetic Abstract is online.

8 Likes

So this is the famous ā€œBaylor Studyā€ the community has been waiting for?

1 Like

1400 genes over expressed and 2400 under expressedā€¦

This is the abstractā€¦need detailsā€¦

1 Like

I just logged in through the university where I work to download the entire pdf but it says they donā€™t sub to the content so I guess somebodyā€™s gonna have to pay for it

It doesnā€™t sound like good news.

Iā€™ll wait for someone more knowledgeable to chime and possibly explain it to us, but from what I understand we can probably say goodbye to the perspective of a one-fits-all ā€œtherapyā€.

Sounds bad to me even if it were a few hundred genes it would be harder to find a therapeutic target but Iā€™m not that knowledgeable and what I can see of it is says cannot establish causalityā€¦

3.800 total genes with significantly altered expression.

Donā€™t humans have just 25-30.000?

1 Like

I believe you are correct but they are saying they donā€™t have test of the subjects ā€œbeforeā€ they took finasteride to compareā€¦

What do u need then? 100 people and run this complete gene expression analysis on them allā€¦Then give them all finasteride and see how many developers pfs and then run the same test on the all to compare again? My guess is about 8 to 10 people will develop the disease out of 100.

1 Like

Iā€™m no expert by any means, but what are the chances we had all these alteration even before taking Fin?

Doesnā€™t sound very realistic.

Youā€™re telling meā€¦no difference in trinucletide repeats or serum levels between themā€¦

Sounds like the entire symptomolgy depends on which and how many genes are altered.

ā€¦meaning? Is it good news?

I would think so but most have known that blood levels of hormones were not a factor much.

Iā€™d love to know more about the variance in gene over/underexpression among patients.

Treatment with Accutane read similar. Hard to believe its already been two years since I posted this.

All significantly changed genes after 8 weeks isotretinoin therapy

I remember this post,
ā€œI suspect Baylor will find something similar. It will then be a question of ā€˜where to from here?ā€

1 Like

Yepā€¦funny thing is I also took Accutane almost 30 years ago but not for long and had blood test monitoringā€¦

I didnā€™t have problems nor the first time on finasteride I guess it went back to normal.

Wait a second ā€¦

So the alteration in gene expression doesnā€™t necessarily lead to the development of symptoms, right?

Thatā€™s where the epigenetic theory comes inā€¦why wonā€™t it go back to normal?

1 Like

Regardless of genes expression going back to normal or not ā€¦

I mean, from what @guitarman01 posted it doesnā€™t seem like a gene alteration necessarily leads to symptoms.

It would depend on which onesā€¦

1 Like

Why is the rest of the information hidden behind a paywall?