Differential Gene Expression in Post-Finasteride Syndrome Patients - Dr. Khera - Baylor

I dont see the option to pay…it said available through my university but I couldn’t get to it either that way but am on phone browsing…

I also see it was posted to Twitter 12hrs ago so I assume some here are already looking at the complete pdf.

Is this what you are looking for?

P.s. click on the link, it’s not the same OP posted.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1743609521005130?casa_token=Q_YQs-Br2CoAAAAA:F0EKN_lmJ5QMw9uvriiQWW1v8XsNpqKgLnUG3uiIyk1rMILBg6Zpofh-Z8b57CevoRwN7w6caQ

EDIT: Sorry, wrong link.

That’s the abstract click the little outline bar there and it shows the complete study with details buts not highlighted

CONCLUSION

This study is the first to consider gene expression differences in men with PFS in explaining the etiology of this condition. Given gene expression per se is not mechanistic and does not imply causality, experiments with downstream processes of protein expression and activity should be undertaken to provide mechanistic data and clarify the results of this work. Further investigation should also explore upstream processes including the mechanisms regulating gene expression in the setting of PFS and identify risk factors for individuals, with a potential focus on genetic risk factors. At this time, patients should be informed regarding possible side effects of 5ARI that may persist even following discontinuation of treatment as part of their counseling.

3 Likes

The mircro array and pathway analysis is what we need to see…

Thoughts?

I can’t access any of it…its not highlighted…all the nitty gritty shit is not accessible

Protein expression changed by gene expression is what I was alluring to earlier in refractory resistant prostate cancer…I believe so from what I can tell u are gonnachave to wait until all the segments are available in a full pdf…Then of course there would have to be more studies designed and carried out to prove down stream effects of gene expression changes such as in making proteins…

Give khera a few million and 20 more years then maybe he could prove causality when we’re all 70

3 Likes

Has it ever been demonstrated that there is an increased risk for refractory resistant prostate cancer in PFS? That’s scary af if true.

Also, this article is in-press so that is probably why we can’t get access through institutions. I will add it when it is officially published.

I dont think so and with my limited understanding it’s a related process that when androgens are ablated the cancer still grows with little to no andrgens…through a change in this gene expression proteins…

I believe a similar process was discussed as the same mechanism could be causing the opposite effect in pfs in that no matter how much androgens you increase it does nothing…same genes could be controlling both these processes

1 Like

In other words you become extremely more sensitive to androgens in terms of the cancer and extremely less sensitive to androgens in pfs bt these same genes controlling the adaptability

1 Like

Oh ok, so just a similar mechanism but not that this syndrome necessarily leads to cancer.

Right…this is what awor talked about they had spent billions already trying to understand this mechanism in prostate cancer how its able to do that…They still don’t know…highly complicated

The irony is that as I’ve alluded to the the past, much to the fury of other members, that ‘bro-science’ is likely to provide a deeper practical insight into our condition and possible treatments as opposed to multifactorial gene studies where the level of complexity prevents anything practical and actionable being drawn.

6 Likes

It’s always like this.

Harsh as it may sound, trial and errors is the heart of progress.

2 Likes

Is this Baylor’s study?

Yes it is.

2 Likes

Undoubtedly, it’s just unethical to encourage it.

Can you read the full text?