All significantly changed genes after 8 weeks isotretinoin therapy

Pretty detailed paper here from Penn State. I posted some of this quite a while back on Acne.org
Yes this list is absolutely ridiculous. That’s the point.

In comparing the gene array data from the pre-treatment biopsies to the 8-week
treatment biopsies, 197 genes were significantly up-regulated and 587 genes were significantly
down regulated as determined by using a false discovery rate (FDR) of 0.05, that corresponds
to a 5% chance of false positive genes among those genes considered significantly changed.
Select genes that were up-regulated by approximately 2-fold or greater and genes that were
down-regulated greater than 4-fold are listed in Table 6. For a complete listing of all significantly
changed genes at 8-weeks, see A.1. Many of the down-regulated genes at 8-weeks are
involved in the metabolism of steroids, cholesterol and fatty acids, which is consistent with the
known decreases in sebaceous gland lipid production induced by 13-cis RA

All significantly changed genes after 8 weeks isotretinoin therapy
Choose one.
You’ll find this if you do a search,
steroid-5-alpha-reductase

https://etda.libraries.psu.edu/files/final_submissions/284

3 Likes

Shows how complicated the mess can be. Lots of genes both up and downregulated throughout the entire body.

3 Likes

Is it possible to experience changes only with 2 days of usage?

WTF At this point I can shoot myself

Yes, if ur predisposed, definitly.

I suspect Baylor will find something similar. It will then be a question of ‘where to from here?’

2 Likes

You can change gene expression just by what you choose to eat from day to day. In turn the microbiome also changes.
With these gene changes in the skin what also changed?

Acne: How common drug changes skin microbiome
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com › articles
](https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/324076.php)

Alot of these genes from this study probably revert back to normal after stopping the drug.
Some dont obviously. So they found some evidence of long term changes in Androgen expression from a Fin study, maybe that stays true with Accutane too.
You see the possibility of a lot more then just this.
This also barely touches on immune modulation and antimicrobial effects as well.

With this excerpt, you got a whole lot going on here alone,
Many of the down-regulated genes at 8-weeks are
involved in the metabolism of steroids, cholesterol and fatty acids

So: we know what genes have been messed up.

And we know that certain genes are an on/off switch for sexual function.

Why is no one trying to match this information?

“At the Kaiser Permanente Division of Research in northern California, a group of scientists have identified a genetic switch which is thought to be unique to sexual function”

So this has been ruled out?

But even Futura’s scientists admit that Eroxon is unlikely to help the severest cases of erectile dysfunction, which affect around 20-30% of patients, typically due to nerve damage in the lower abdomen.