Differential Gene Expression in Post-Finasteride Syndrome Patients - Dr. Khera - Baylor

I’m no expert by any means, but what are the chances we had all these alteration even before taking Fin?

Doesn’t sound very realistic.

You’re telling me…no difference in trinucletide repeats or serum levels between them…

Sounds like the entire symptomolgy depends on which and how many genes are altered.

…meaning? Is it good news?

I would think so but most have known that blood levels of hormones were not a factor much.

I’d love to know more about the variance in gene over/underexpression among patients.

Treatment with Accutane read similar. Hard to believe its already been two years since I posted this.

All significantly changed genes after 8 weeks isotretinoin therapy

I remember this post,
“I suspect Baylor will find something similar. It will then be a question of ‘where to from here?”

1 Like

Yep…funny thing is I also took Accutane almost 30 years ago but not for long and had blood test monitoring…

I didn’t have problems nor the first time on finasteride I guess it went back to normal.

Wait a second …

So the alteration in gene expression doesn’t necessarily lead to the development of symptoms, right?

That’s where the epigenetic theory comes in…why won’t it go back to normal?

1 Like

Regardless of genes expression going back to normal or not …

I mean, from what @guitarman01 posted it doesn’t seem like a gene alteration necessarily leads to symptoms.

It would depend on which ones…

1 Like

Why is the rest of the information hidden behind a paywall?

I dont see the option to pay…it said available through my university but I couldn’t get to it either that way but am on phone browsing…

I also see it was posted to Twitter 12hrs ago so I assume some here are already looking at the complete pdf.

Is this what you are looking for?

P.s. click on the link, it’s not the same OP posted.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1743609521005130?casa_token=Q_YQs-Br2CoAAAAA:F0EKN_lmJ5QMw9uvriiQWW1v8XsNpqKgLnUG3uiIyk1rMILBg6Zpofh-Z8b57CevoRwN7w6caQ

EDIT: Sorry, wrong link.

That’s the abstract click the little outline bar there and it shows the complete study with details buts not highlighted

CONCLUSION

This study is the first to consider gene expression differences in men with PFS in explaining the etiology of this condition. Given gene expression per se is not mechanistic and does not imply causality, experiments with downstream processes of protein expression and activity should be undertaken to provide mechanistic data and clarify the results of this work. Further investigation should also explore upstream processes including the mechanisms regulating gene expression in the setting of PFS and identify risk factors for individuals, with a potential focus on genetic risk factors. At this time, patients should be informed regarding possible side effects of 5ARI that may persist even following discontinuation of treatment as part of their counseling.

3 Likes

The mircro array and pathway analysis is what we need to see…

Thoughts?

I can’t access any of it…its not highlighted…all the nitty gritty shit is not accessible