*** Post your VITAMIN D (25-OH / 25-hydroxyvitamin D) result

What jumps out at me here is cdnuts, the man who done the fast, eats really well and so on has the best result.
VDR Receptors…Gimmie a break.

Me : 25 (30-100)

Are all the people with low Vit D levels now taking Vit D supps?
If so please get retested after a month or 2 of use if possible and post your results…

I just had a blood test and my Vit D was 67 nmol/L (51-200). I had been taking 15,000 IU daily for around 2 months i think prior to the test.
I am going to increase to at least 20,000IU daily, or maybe more if people think it is safe to do so.

What is the highest safe daily intake of Vit D these days?

Im up to about 20,000 iu’s daily. No changes felt.

My latest results: 04/08/10: 60 nmol / L, range 51 - 163

My Vitamin D 25 (OH): 6.0 ug/l 20-58

Hey I guess I can say “welcome to the family” :open_mouth:

Fuck I have the lowest Vitamin D value of all here

by the way Test was made at around 11 o’clock in the morning

11/09/2010 on the testpaper it says that the test was made two days later on the 11/11/2010

now taking fucking Merks “Vigantoletten 1000”

Off the drug in 2 Days exactly 2 years

Can i just ask - did the people who have so far got their Vit D tested inform Dr Irwig of this?

Or did the tests happen after you took part in the study?

It is obviously very important.

I have not yet got my Vit D results back, I also forgot to ask Dr Irwig about this anyway. especially since he is also some sort of Vit D expert too ->

voanews.com/english/news/health/Studies-Find-Increasing-Health-Benefits-From-Vitamin-D-95116054.html [VIDEO :slight_smile: :open_mouth: ]

I was taking up to 8000 iu/day, figuring it could help.

1,25 HYDROXY VITAMIN D 173 range 30-120 pmol/L

I found the vitamin D helped my testicles - don’t really want to stop taking it altogether. 2000 i.u. maybe? I’m confused.

Mods, go ahead and delete this post if you don’t want out of range high results here.

Nice find, Oscar. I would have to think he’s aware that we are all out of range low vit d. Couldnt hurt to mention to this to him whoever has the next interview. Kinda scary considering what that means for our overall health according to the video.

24 nmol/L (range 80 - 150) not good
As I have every possible symptom so it is not surprising. Endo mentioned possibility of VitD injections as a treatment and possible development of osteopenia/osteoperosis if levels remain. Im now going to start with 10,000 iu daily if not more.

Take the injections

Typical, none of us can get in range.

Were you taking any vit d supps prior to this test??

Oscar, you’re in England right? Do you get sun? Have you tried the solarium? You need to ask them for full spectrum bulbs, or the ones that are most balanced like the sun. It’s usually only the high end beds that have this and they are the ones that don’t leave you with an orange color. Then start small, only a few minutes at a time, and build up. Do this for a month or two then retest. Much better than injections IMHO…

http://www.jurology.com/article/S0022-5347(05)63489-1/abstract

Regulation of Androgen and Vitamin D Receptors by 1,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D3 in Human Prostate Epithelial and Stromal Cells

EDDY S. LEMAN, FERNANDO DeMIGUEL, ALLEN C. GAO, ROBERT H. GETZENBERG
Accepted 17 January 2003.

ABSTRACT
Purpose

The mechanisms of the interaction between 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 (1,25 D) and androgens, and their respective receptors in their action on the prostate are not completely understood. We examined the interplay of 1,25 D and androgens on the epithelial and stromal cells of the prostate.

Materials and Methods

The human neonatal prostatic epithelial cell line 267B-1 (BRFF, Inc., Ijamsville, Maryland) and primary cultures of human prostate stromal cells were treated with medium containing 5 or 10 μM 1,25 D or ethanol (control) in the presence or absence of 10 nM dihydrotestosterone (DHT) (Sigma Chemical Co., St. Louis, Missouri). Protein levels of androgen receptor (AR) and vitamin D receptor (VDR) were determined by immunoblot analysis of whole cell extracts. Electrophoresis mobility shift assays were used to determine AR and VDR DNA binding activities.

Results

The VDR protein level of 267B-1 cells was increased in the presence of 1,25 D (with the maximum effects seen at 24 hours) regardless of the presence or absence of DHT. In addition, exogenous DHT increased the AR and VDR DNA binding activities of 267B-1 and stromal cells in the presence of 1,25 D.

Conclusions

ARs in the normal prostate are regulated by androgens, whereas VDRs in the normal prostate can be regulated by 1,25 D as well as by other androgens such as testosterone. This finding further supports the concept that 1,25 D as a steroid hormone, in addition to other androgens such as DHT, may have a role in the growth and differentiation of normal prostate.

Is there a way to test the precursor (25-hydroxyvitamin D) of 1,25 Hydroxyvitamin D?

If that precursor is in range, then Parathyroid Hormone could be affected. From wikipedia:

“Calcitriol is produced in the cells of the proximal tubule of the nephron in the kidneys by the action of 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 1-alpha-hydroxylase, a mitochondrial oxygenase and an enzyme which catalyzes the hydroxylation of 25-hydroxycholecalciferol (calcifediol). The activity of the enzyme is stimulated by PTH. The reaction is an important control point in Ca2+ homeostasis.[2]
The production of calcitriol is also increased by prolactin, a hormone which stimulates lactogenesis (the formation of breast milk), a process which requires large amounts of calcium. It is decreased by high levels of serum phosphate and by an increase in the production of the hormone FGF-23 by osteocyte cells in bone.[citation needed]”

If not, we could work backward in this chain until we find a normalized hormone. Then we would know where the break in the chain is at least.

Also, does anyone know which enzyme they are talking about? “an enzyme which catalyzes the hydroxylation of 25-hydroxycholecalciferol (calcifediol)”

A 14 member expert committee convened by the Institute for Medicine to examine evidence on vitamin D has just reported. It’s the biggest, most comprehensive statement on the evidence on vitamin D for years.

The idea that many people need vitamin D supps - i.e that many of us are “deficient” in vitamin D - has gained traction across the last decade.

But the committee concludes that there is no good evidence that vitamin D supplements do any good in the vast majority of cases.

Here is the really important part for PFS people. The committee note that many laboratories have started to set the minimum end of the normal range for vitamin D at 30ng/ml. But by that standard, 80% of healthy people are deficient in vitamin D. Most healthy people have a vitamin D level between 20ng/ml and 30ng/ml. Crucially, there is no evidence that a level of vitamin D any higher than this is of any benefit for bone health, or anything else. People with a vitamin D level of 60ng/ml fracture bones, die of heart attacks, etc, just as often as people with a vitamin D level of 25ng/ml.

I think this conclusively puts to an end the idea that there is a special relationship between PFS and low vitamin D. Most of you guys started with vit D levels between 20ng/ml and 30ng/ml: that is completely normal when set against most other healthy, non-PFS people. You don’t have low vitamin D.

Read more here: nytimes.com/2010/11/30/health/30vitamin.html.

Yes, I saw that today.

But, if there was absolutely NO connection between PFS and low Vite D scores then why is everyone at the same level - Just low out of range? You would think the results would lie on a bell curve - few very high, a few very low and alot in the middle. Thats not what we are seeing. We almost all have identical levels.

The study is food for thought, but I wouldnt put the vite D connection to bed just yet…

martinM, at the moment I get almost no sunlight, so sunbeds are a good idea and I will do as you suggest. Boston332, I was not supplementing before the test, I wanted to see if it would come up low - and it did. I think the fact that many members here, even in hot countries, have low VitD points to a common symptom. Prehaps the best way to tell if we have problems is with a Bone Mineral Density Test en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_energy_X-ray_absorptiometry

Why is this? Lack of absorbtion, liver problem, receptor downregulation? If receptors where not working surely this would mean more VitD in the blood as it is not being used? Unless the body ‘knows’ it has a receptor problem so produces less? I am also now considering that some of my visual problems are related to a deficiency in Vitamin A.

Oscar i was low on e and k also. Another member that i have talked to about this was low on fat soluable vitamins as well. This is not isolated to vitamin d.

Hi Boston332

I see where you’re coming from, but I think that your argument only holds if you accept the ranges that the laboratories are presenting people with, i.e something like around 30ng/ml to 100ng/ml. Given this range, it does appear that all PFS guys are reporting v similar, just under range levels.

But the key point made in the recent report is that these ranges are way off. In fact, few people have a vitamin D level above 30ng/ml. The scientist leading the report states that most people have to take supplements to get above that level.

It sounds as though the true normal range for vitamin D is pretty tight when measured in ng/ml. That is, it’s something like 15ng/ml to 32ng/ml. Given that range, we see a pretty even spread of results across the PFS guys who have had vit D tested before they started supplementation. Results ranged across the low 20s to the high 20s, with the odd one more or less than this, which is what you’d expect.

The idea that there is a special relationship between PFS and vitamin D made sense, given the relationship between the androgen receptor and the vit D receptor, etc. I was all in for it. But it seems to me, pretty conclusively, that it turns out that the lab ranges are way off, and that guys here are presenting with completely normal vit D levels of the kind you’d find in a group of healthy young men.

This seems to be the case. Have a look at the link below, in particular where the Vit D levels of Hawaiian surfers were analysed. The modal Vit D level was 20 or 30 ng/ml.

Further on in the link, there is an assessment of mortality associated with Vitamin D levels. Too little or too much is linked with increased mortality.

courses.washington.edu/bonephys/opvitD.html

I guess the ideal is to supplement with as few a pure vitamins as possible. In my case, I have noticed a significant improvement with Vit B12 in terms of energy and mood, but I am hoping to wean off B12 when I have made a full recovery. I stopped taking Vitamin D a few weeks ago.

I take many natural suppplements in addition to hormonal agents (which, in sensible replacement doses, can be life optimising). I take Maca, bee pollen, turmeric, fish oils, colostrum, and 2 litres of vegetable juice a day (I juice myself) and feel great. In addition; lots of exercise, regular jogs on the beach, fresh air, surfing etc etc… I think nature is our best healer.

Not too keen on pure vitamins…

JN