*** Post your VITAMIN D (25-OH / 25-hydroxyvitamin D) result

A number of members have had their Vitamin D levels tested and come out near or below range.

This could be another clue to our syndrome, considering Vitamin D is a member of the nuclear receptor superfamily, a group which the Androgen Receptor and Thyroid Receptor also belong to (and there are many more).

Further details on nuclear receptors, including tables showing some members of the superfamily (inc. Vitamin D):

books.google.ca/books?id=u8ivGiR … en&f=false

[b]If you have low Vitamin D test results (25-OH, also known as 25-hydroxyvitamin D), please post your results:

• In this thread, WITH RANGES
  • What date you got tested
  • How long you have been off drug
    [/b]

[Size=4]RESULTS:[/size]
Compiled from postings in this thread, member stories & hormone tests.

This test was taken in October, after a full summer in the sun. When I went back and checked it, it was in the low normal range.

Vit. D, 25 Hydroxy

20ng/ml Defincieny
20-32 ng/ml Insufficient
33-100 ng/ml Sufficient
101-150 ng/ml Excess
greater then 150 ng/ml Toxic

My Results: 36 ng/ml

After watching the interview that I posted, I believe even though I came within the sufficient reference range, I am inclined to believe that this is not good enough. The same people that came up with these tests are the ones recommending that 400 iu is good enough on a daily basis. That just can’t be. If are bodies produce 10,000-30,000 iu with 20 minutes of full summer time exposure, this can’t be right.

I’ve ordered super potent D3 and will begin supplementing 10,000 iu daily as soon as I receive them.

I think it is also important to get the 1,25 active metabolite tested, as their is literature suggesting that VDR receptor issues will cause too much 25 OH vitamin D to be transformed into the active metabolite. Will post a calculator on how to interpret 1,25 to 25 OH ratios, if 1,25 is too high it can be a sgn of autoimmune disease.

Apparently Quest in is the only company (in the U.S. anyway) that can accurately test 1,25. If the sample is not flash frozen immediately after being drawn then the 1,25 will be low.

I will dig through the pile of blood tests and post some of my readings.

Vit. D 26 Range:(20-100)-Jan 14th 2010

Off the drug for 7 years and 2 months.

Now taking a Vit D supplement since that last test.

I just had a blood test done a week ago and the dr said my Vit D was on the low side, but I don’t see it on the test results. Anyway here is my Vit D from Oct.

Vit D3 23 (25-80) tested 10/19/09

Off of the drug 13 months today (off 9 months when test was taken)

Test on October 16 2009, 14 months off Propecia.

Vitamin D3 23 ng/ml (Ref Range 32-100)

Vitamin D 23 ng/ml (Ref Range 32-100)

Tested on 8/19/09

Test performed 3-11-10 (full panel discussed on my updated bloodwork post, the link is in my signature)

Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy: 31.8 ng/mL Range: 32.0-100

I’ve been off fin for 1 1/2 years or so now

Off to the store now to purchase Vitamin D…

In May 2009 my 25(OH)D3 (25 Hydroxycholecalciferol; calcifediol) level (VIT D) and the value was 9 ug/L in a range of (19-57).

Taking during 3 months 10.000 UI every 2 days (last summer) recently I did blood test and I am waiting the results.

I took propecia from 1999 to December 2006.

I have osteoporosis too

I live in Spain, and the Sun is on my diet every day.

When I take the final results I will post them right here.

EDIT: EFFECTS OF HIGH DOSE SUPPLEMENTATION OF VIT D (15,000 - 20,000 IU) WERE INITIALLY SUCCESSFUL THEN TAPERED OFF. SEE UPDATED MEMBER STORY. LINK IN SIGNATURE.

9/27/08

Vitamin D 25-Hydroxy, total: 30; 20-100ng/mL
Vitamin D, 25-OH, D3: 30; ng/mL
Vitamin D, 25-OH D2: <4; ng/mL

Began supplementing with cod liver oil (400 IU vit d/day) in addition to lots of milk with vitamin D added.

10/05/09

Vitamin D 25-Hydroxy, total: 30; 20-100ng/mL
Vitamin D, 25-OH, D3: 30; ng/mL
Vitamin D, 25-OH D2: <4; ng/mL

So after a full year of the recommended amount of Vit D I had NO change in my tests.

I’m up to 3,000 - 12,000 IU daily

did your doctor think it was odd that your vd3 levels didnt raise even though your supplementing? any comments?

400 iu is a measely dose of this vitamin and it’s not surprising his results didn’t go up.

i would recommend bio d mulsion forte by biotics research

5 drops of 2000 ius equalling 10000 ius daily

this WILL get up your levels

No, the doc wasn’t on our side. She just said to take more.

As cdnuts said before, “400 iu is a measely dose”. My doctor does a lot of vitamin d supplementation for her patients, and she said 5,000 iu is a daily maintenance dose for people with healthy levels. She told me to get on at least 10,000 iu for like 6 months and then retest. I sometimes take 10,000, sometimes 15,000.

Vitamin D 21ng/ML Reference Range 32-100

Already started supplementing 10,000iu’s daily

25-Hydroxy-Vitamin D 23.2 ng/mL (30.0-60.0)

Penguin

Dont have the reference range for my test yet but my doctor said over the phone today that my vitamin D levels were 28! A good level would be around 70 he said.

He put med on 1600 iu/day and restesting in 2 months. Im also taking daily vitamin with another 800 totalling at 2400 starting tomorrow.
He also sent me back to the gastro doc and ordered him to do a full biopsy of my colon etc. He said its very odd that me as a messenger whos outside all day and drink 3 liters of filmjölk per day (sort of yougort) have low vitamin D. He belives my body is not absorbing nutrients properly.

Interesting we are all low on vitamin D. Lots of our symptoms also resemble those of vitamin D deficiencies. But why? Did propecia screw up our colons? Are we all celiaks? Can anyone still eat bread and pasta and feel well?

NEW RESULTS 17/03/2010
I have taken the last lab blood test and this is the new level. As I said above I was on a 16000UI every 2 days during 5 months and stopped taking it in October. As you can see I have no improve my low range…

25(OH)D3 (25 Hydroxycholecalciferol; calcifediol
21 ng/mL Range (32-80)

Although this is not the properly place to talk about, I would like to add that my Free Testosterone level is at the moment (without any TRT)

1,4 ng/L Range (8,8-27)

Insomnia, I think this article may be of interest here. It states that there was no improvement with oral Vit D replacement in subjects with fat malabsorption problems.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4050723