****POST YOUR TFT (THYROID FUNCTION TESTS HERE)*****

I found this in the musclechatroom post by anonn1. I haven’t reviewed it for accuracy but if someone’s interested here’s the start.

http://www.musclechatroom.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2666&page=5

Converting values:

To convert Thyroxine, free (T4) readings:-
Divide pmol/L by 12.87 to get ng/dL (nanograms per decilitre)
Multiply ng/dL by 12.87 to get pmol/L (picomoles per litre)

To convert Thyroxine, total (T4) readings:-
Divide nmol/L by 12.87 to get µg/dL
Multiply µg/dL by 12.87 to get nmol/L

To convert Triiodothyronine free (T3) readings:-
Divide pmol/L by 0.0154 to get pg/dL
Multiply pg/dL by 0.0154 to get pmol/L

To convert Triiodothyronine total (T3) readings:-
Divide nmol/L by 0.0154 to get ng/dL
Multiply ng/dL by 0.0154 to get nmol/L

I’m very impressed with this doctor…The more I research him, the more I like what he has to say. Read the last paragaph I highlighted in bold. This doctor covers everything…

definitivemind.com/2010/07/2 … ss-of-tsh/

Effect of Exogenous Thyroid Hormone Intake on the Interpretation of Serum TSH Test Results:

thyroidscience.com/ hypotheses/ warmingham.2010 /warmingham.intro.7.2010.htm

Here is the free PDF: thyroidscience.com/ hypotheses/ warmingham.2010/ warmingham.7.18.10.pdf

I prefer monitoring actual thyroid hormone levels in addition to TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) for assessment and treatment, rather than relying on TSH alone.

One major factor is that there are two separate compartments for thyroid hormone: The brain compartment and the body compartment. These are separated by the blood brain barrier. Thyroid hormone cannot pass through the blood brain barrier without active transport. This is controlled by astroglial metabolism and signaling.

The astroglia are non-electrical signaling, mobile brain cells which, among their numerous functions, maintain the integrity of the blood brain barrier, maintain brain metabolic activity, control neuron growth, control synaptic connections and signaling activity, network neurons and other glial cells, and participate in information processing. They are the most numerous cells in the brain. They also are the brain cells that convert T4 to T3. A large number of astroglial cells are also the stem cells of the brain (approximately 55 billion of them). The number of neuroglial cells determines one’s intelligence. Einstein’s cerebral cortex, for example, had twice as many neuroglial cells than normal. He had about the same number of neurons as a normal person.

TSH is a brain signal to the pituitary gland that more thyroid hormone needs to be produced. Given that TSH is made by the brain, TSH actually represents the brain’s need for thyroid hormone since the brain is in a different compartment than the body.

TSH production depends significantly on brain health / mental health. If one has metabolic problems, for example (and mental illnesses often have metabolic problems as part of their pathophysiology), then the brain may not be capable of either measuring thyroid hormone signaling adequately or may not be capable of producing adequate TSH. Thus, TSH may be low relative to the actual blood levels of Thyroid Hormone (T4, T3, Free T4, and Free T3). In this case, TSH can be low and blood thyroid levels can be low. Such a person will be physiologically hypothyroid yet TSH falsely indicates adequate or high thyroid levels.

Given the two thyroid compartments, another problem may arise: If the body’s activation of thyroid hormone (T4 to T3 conversion) is greater than the brain’s activation of thyroid hormone or if active transport of thyroid hormone across the blood brain barrier is impaired (such as in conditions where ATP production is slowed), then one can have high Free T3 (representing active thyroid hormone) yet also high TSH. The body may be in a state of hyperthyroidism (there are only T3 receptors and no T4 receptors) yet the brain is hypothyroid.

The above are examples of non-thyroid illnesses - where the may be nothing wrong with the thyroid gland yet thyroid signaling is affected.

Thyroid hormone levels in the brain and in the body can be very different. This has been shown in studies measuring blood thyroid hormone levels and Cerebrospinal Fluid thyroid levels. This can lead to misinterpretations of thyroid function - particularly when it comes to brain and body function. This is why I prefer to monitor actual thyroid hormone levels (Total T4, Free T3 at least, and Total T3, Free T4) and TSH to help get the bigger picture of thyroid signaling activity and thus function. Since thyroid signaling is also affected by other factors (e.g. nervous system, endocrine system, immune system function, metabolism and nutritional status), these other factors may be also highly important to assess how a certain thyroid signaling state was created.

ithyroid.com/prolactin.htm

Very interesting and mentions connections with copper.

Also, spells out that hypothryoidism causes high prolactin in rats based on the study.

My symptoms are indicative of hypothyroidism, I have high prolactin. I guess doing a copper test and finding an endo who won’t resist me and do all the gamut of thyroid tests could be the missing pieces to my puzzle.

As an addendum to my post above. If the connection seems to be hypothyroid causing high prolactin causing low testosterone sexual messes, then why are we not strongly recommending getting the prolactin test done along with thyroid tests.

I know prolactin is a test recommended in the short list, but I’m not sure I’ve seen a whole lot of prolactin results overall in this forum. Correct me if I’m wrong please.

Prolactin was one of the first test my endo did, and is a sign of whether or not you have a good endocrinologist. I beleive in fact one person (this is from memory) was cured from bringing prolactin down after running this test, but it was a rarity that it was out of range high. It is also done to find a prolactinoma, or prolactin secreting tumor.

Anyway, it is in range for many of the people who check it, including myself.

My prolactin was mid-low. There was a member ‘onni’ or ‘namechange’ as his posts are now entitled who had the classic crash and had really high prolactin coming off, he seems kind of an exception.

These last string of posts are off topic. Please take discussion to the thyroid discussion thread, this is for posting test results.

What does one’s body temperature have to do with this? My temps were:

Morning(8am)- 95.8
afternoon(3pm) 97.5
Evening (8pm) 98.1

My thyroid hormones at the end of a 5 months clomid treatment:

TSH 0.83 (0.50-5.00)
T4 Total 7.66 (5.10-14.10)
T3 Free 3.2 (2.4-4.2)
T3 Uptake 37% (28-41)
Reverse T3 339 (90-350)

RT3 is highish, right?

it tis

read this its pretty interesting

a hypothyroid condition (high TSH and low T4) can cause a deficiency of testosterone and DHT. This, combined with excessive prostaglandin E2, will result in a weak erection and premature ejaculation. At the same time, a low level of testosterone and DHT will increase prostaglandin E2 production in the prostate, seminal vesicles and testicles in an attempt to stimulate the testicular function and seminal production. The resulting semen is very watery and thin.

sorry mike but can you give a source and use quotes when posting that type of thing

Is this better golf :smiley:

Department of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism (G.E.K., K.T., F.P., N.P.), Panagia General Hospital, 55132 Thessaloniki, Greece; and Endocrine Unit (P.P.), Freeman Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne NE7 7DN, United Kingdom

That describes mine problem very well. and many others… very intersting…

Low body temps are a sign of hypothyroidism. Search the forum there are posts on this as well as googling.

to all: to keep this thread on track, please only post blood test with ranges in this thread from now on (not temperature measurements or discussion) i will make a new thread for this.

Thanks!
Golf

Ok , i’ve already tested it in march and wrote it under the bloodtest section but here is my thyroid test

FSH 6,8 : 0 -6,0

LH 5,2: 1,70 - 8,60

TSH Basal 2,54: 0,27-2,5

17-ohp 2,6 :0,9- 3,1

Prolaktin:8,6 :4,04-15,20

FT3: 4,00 :2.00 -4,40

FT4 13.00 : 9,30 - 17,00

ACTH 16,4 : 4,7 -48.8

cortisol basal 177.8 : 23-194

iod in Urin 92,0 :11,0-403,0

Krea/morning urin 2,00: 0,00-0,00

03/18/10 at about 8.50 o’clock

Hope, many of those things are not thyroid test: but one that is is tsh - and its over the top limit.

Golf,

He listed FT3 and FT4 which is thyroid test.

Your TSH is suboptimal it seems…Mine is between 2.35-2.55 range last couple of tests. You might want to get your Thyroid antibodies tested and test for Hashimoto’s disease. Basically, Hasimoto’s eats at your thyroid…