Muscle twitches are driving me crazy

They went away on their own for me at about the 3 month mark.

I still have mine, but they are improving.

They peaked about 6-8 weeks post-crash and were so incessant and pronounced that I couldn’t sleep. I was getting big spasms too, not just small fasciculations.

I know it’s not a big deal compared to other side effects but I still have them. It’s been 6 months with them. All over my body. They move around all over, finding new places. This week my fingers started to twitch. Everyday. Fucking unbelievable.

I really wish there was a solution for this! I have mostly recovered, but this is the one thing that keeps getting progressively worse over the last 5 years since quitting. It is the thing that makes me most depressed anxious and lose sleep.

It is to the point where I get major cramps, numbness, tingling and weakness in my legs that can put me in bed for days. The twitches are now all over my body and easily visible. Whats worse is that in the last month I also get burning and stinging sensations along with it. Almost every second night I wake up with a dead arm or leg with pins and needles that can take up to 30 minutes to get the sensation back in. I also have raw nerves in my arms.

Doctors and neurologists cannot explain it, my bloods, liver function and brain scans appear to be fine. I have been tested for multiple sclerosis and celiac. Have tried magnesium and vitamin D supplements as prescribed and it makes zero difference.

I was there during year-1 post-crash. Almost the exact same symptoms. Saw a neuro, had an MRi, everything normal. By year 2 post-crash, the twitches, pins and needles, etc. pretty much subsided, although I do get some random reoccurrences from time to time. Hang in there and hope that time will win out.

1 Like

I am having fasciculations as well, mostly in my calves, but sometimes in other areas. Apparently, glycine and taurine are good supplements for this.

Have any of you experienced any closure from doctors? I am seeing a neurologist on Thursday.

Do you recover?

Muscle twitches are among the symptoms that can rapidly develop after taking Propecia, Accutane or an SSRI.

I developed frequent muscle spasms throughout my body after taking Accutane. The spasms were not painful, however they were irritating and often disrupted sleep onset. I resolved the spasms through taking magnesium citrate - a practice I continue daily.

Magnesium intake had no improvement for the rest of my symptoms - such as libido loss, erectile dysfunction, and all the usual.

2 Likes

All that have muscle twitch should try magnesium?
This is not super harmful,but I hate the sensitives badly.
I want to erase full of them.

Is this the best form of magnesium? Isn’t Magnesium threonate the best for absorption?

1 Like

Magnesium L Threonate (MagTein) I think I can safely say that is the best for absorbtion and also actively crosses BBB, also from my understanding it is kind of supperior because of the way it interacts within the cell and mitochondria. Only downside may be the maximum recommended dose 2000mg of Magnesium L Threonate (this equals approx. 150mg of elemental magnesium). So, if You are e.g. active in sports or simply feel that Your body needs supplement beyond the 150mg elemental Mg - then adding also the form of e.g. Mg Citrate may be useful. Another different option to add to MgT for example may be - if You have trouble with falling asleep - adding Mg Glycinate

3 Likes

The twitches mostly resolved but then came back recently. Were pretty severe off and on for the past couple months. So no, not much long term improvement, unfortunately.

If mitochondria are really related to twitch,we have to take taurine.
Perhaps taurine has a power to keep mitochondria level normal.

I don’t know - I’ve used the varieties available in mainstream health food stores - citrate has worked best for me. I’ll take a look at sourcing Threonate online. Looks like it might be worth trying.

Have you been taking magnesium or taurine since then?
I watched it had to "cycle"by about an week.So,if it does not work well,you should cycle.It’s just my opinion.

And that, I heard baking soda might make twitch less. I have no idea whether it is true or not.

Yes I take magnesium and taurine regularly. I don’t believe it correlates with less twitches. I am not twitching at the moment but a month ago I was taking taurine regularly and got very bad twitches. I was not on magnesium back then though.

Then why do you think twitch could stop?
Did you take something good?
or just up downs?

Probably just ups and downs. Typically could be influenced by weather or stress or sunlight, Im guessing.

Low levels of Gaba or DHT deprived muscles