So I’m a disability-retired 50yo lawyer residing in Charlotte NC USA. I’m intelligent/normal/rational, definitely not confused/deluded/mendacious etc.
See my earlier posts for my detailed history - these are highlights/tips.
I’m posting SOLELY to benefit/encourage you, not to brag etc. I’ve handled 20+ difficult non-jury trials and can easily prove my “PFS story” via 50+ “conventional” medical experts I’ve consulted since 2014, countless medical documents, my ex-GF, family/friends etc.
Yes, I truly have 100% recovered from ALL “POST” FS maladies as follows:
I took 1.25 mgs finasteride daily for 15 years. I discontinued it early Dec. 2014. The PFS “grenade” exploded in my brain in mid-Dec 2014, instantly transporting me to the PFS “Twilight Zone.”
I instantly transformed into an emotionless/sexless robot. Zero emotions, zero libido, sexual plumbing entirely ceased functioning. My very last erection felt awful, like a foreign object attached to my body.
All minor PFS maladies – body-feminization, breast development, black/green eye skin area, penis pain - 100% resolved in four months. I have no tips/explanation for this unfortunately, other than Tylenol for penis pain.
Full emotionality returned mid-2005. I have no tips/explanation for this unfortunately.
I had ZERO erections for at least a year. However, to my surprise, one morning a full “morning wood” erection appeared but I still had no libido and it was not sexually responsive at all.
In early 2017 an “insatiable lust demon” reappeared in my head and I’ve had normal libido since then.
TIP: Peruse visual erotica weekly to perhaps reawaken your sexual desire.
- I still believed PFS had permanently/irreparably severed the brain-penis connection. I never had the slightest trace of a sexual erection or any hint that my sexual plumbing was working. However, “for the hell of it” I resubscribed to Playboy and downloaded some erotic videos but never attempted masturbation (to avoid “failure frustration”). In June 2017, I watched a video and felt an intense physical sexual desire for the first time in 2.5 years. Without any trace of an erection, I experienced an intense orgasm and very weak ejaculation. The next day I experimented and discovered EVERYTHING worked normally again – intense sexual desire, masturbation (20-30 minutes full erection), explosive orgasm, normal ejaculation. Since then I’ve daily masturbated 2+ times, no problems.
TIP: Try masturbating weekly, with or without erotica.
NOTE: I won’t answer Qs about sex/masturbation/sexual plumbing. Don’t ask. It’s all good.
- I was suicidally-depressed from Dec 2014 – Jan 2017. (I’ll spare you details of my thoughts/irrational actions.)
My thoughts on surviving PFS:
+ Don’t buy a gun or pre-arrange suicidal techniques/suicide notes, to avoid acting rashly.
+ Take boatloads of anti-depressants prescribed by doctors. (I did for 1.5 years but have forgotten names).
+ See a psychiatrist/psychologist regularly (I did).
+ Socialize and exercise as much as possible.
+ Don’t overshare your PFS story; refer everybody to pfsfoundation.org for more info.
+ Don’t read suicidal forum posts or interact with suicidal types.
- I have NOT recovered at all from “spectacularly awful” sleep dysfunction that began in June 2014 and certainly caused by 15 years of finasteride use (but not POST-FS). I rarely achieve unconscious sleep and instead “rest nap” randomly.
+ Belsomra helps considerably to make me sleepy for extended periods although it rarely renders unconscious sleep. It is RIDICULOUSLY expensive - $15 a pill – so expect resistance from your insurer! www.belsomra.com
+ I exercise intensely late at night, which thoroughly exhausts me and sometimes renders unconscious sleep.
+ Two cheap prescription drugs taken nightly perfectly restored normal sleep from April 2015 – Dec 2016 but thereafter ceased helping at all. (I’ve forgotten exact dosages.)
- Mirtazapine (Remeron), prescribed off - label to induce REM sleep
- Doctors will ignore and/or not understand your references to PFS. Refer them to the published medical literature: www.pfsfoundation.org/publications/. However, there is no medical treatment for PFS, so docs cannot solve your PFS issues.
- Avoid alternative medicine like the plague! (I wasted moola bucks on truckloads of mysterious pills prescribed by an alternative doc – he had a medical degree so I took a chance.)