Flynn - Possible Theory of PAS and Progesterone

Interesting, it seems that HPA over-activity is likely to be a common effect of Isotretinoin.

1 Like

M. Cappel, D. Mauger, and D. Thiboutot, “Correlation Between Serum Levels of Insulin-like Growth Factor 1, Dehydroepiandrosterone Sulfate, and Dihydrotestosterone and Acne Lesion Counts in Adult Women,” Arch Dermatol , vol. 141, no. 3, pp. 333–338, Mar. 2005

M.-J. Chen et al. , “High serum dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate is associated with phenotypic acne and a reduced risk of abdominal obesity in women with polycystic ovary syndrome,” Human Reproduction , vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 227–234, Jan. 2011.

High levels of adrenal androgens appears to also be associated with acne. Interesting that their levels actually rose during treatment.

The question of whether similar changes are present in symptomatic post-Accutane patients remains.

1 Like

@Dubya_B and anyone else with contacts.

Can we get in touch with a doctor who can advise a dose for men? And inform us of the effects mifepristone will have on men.

Do you know anyone who can help us with these points ASAP?

Likewise I am interested in hearing about the potential for mifepristone. There are bound to be some risks involved, so this needs to be a carefully-explored thing.

I already have mifepristone ready since last night, thats why i wrote ASAP. If anyone knows any endocrinologist, lets get these points clarified.

I browsed a bit of pubmed and mifepristone is also used for type 2 diabetes in men at 600mg (in trials afaik). So it should be okay, but a bit of advice will go a long way.

Anybody?

2 Likes

Hello PAS,

Where did you get the mifepristone? I am still waiting to get some.

I don’t want to give medical advice, some on this forum have warned about being careful with mifepristone.

I personally think, taking mifepristone at a dose of around 750mg daily for a week shouldn’t pose any serious harm or threat. You will likely get some side effects such as water retention etc. towards the end of the week but these will subside when you finish.

Others have taken similar dosages and have been fine.

Hey man

Waiting means you’ve ordered it? I got it OTC as abortion pills. But it’s tough to get a good quantity, one pill is 200mg and they don’t stock much. I got a lot of shady looks yesterday

How did you arrive to 750mg as the dosage? Who are these others? It would be good to know their thoughts.

Do you know any endocrinologist? Even a phone call with them would help. Especially if they know your history.

1 Like

Hello, which post is this referring to?

@flynn Do you have any updates? Tried mifepristone yet?

1 Like

Has anyone except Ronnie taken Mifepristone? @flynn you got any updates?

1 Like

Hi there,

I haven’t been able to get any yet nor have I had a good opportunity to take some as I plan to use when I have 1-2 weeks with no responsibilities. I will post when I if I do though. I think someone on the other thread mentioned they took some.

1 Like

I had a retrogade ejaculation at the 3rd day of taking Accutane that day still haunts me after 7.5 years. Retrogade thing healed back a day after but my PAS ( low semen) didn’t. I also probably had numb orgasms but i didn’t realize it, years later when it got worsened and worsened i joined this site, 2018 i think. I was 18 i think when i joined here.

No mental symptoms except self driven anxiety and OCD.

Weird, i also had very dry and white, falling out skin and back pain on the second day. These symptoms occur in people after months of treatment. These two also went away after a week. Im a hell of an interesting case for sure. Lmao. I wish i could find what is my issue. Seems like prostate. I want to do that Gene test @Gord shared.

Please check out that test and do it immediately if you PAS guys in are UK we need to see our gene predisposition! This is very important.

Might be useful as a note, I have had dheas tested it came back too low.

So might be just me or maybe things go south for some.

Check these affected genes by isotretinoin. Upregulated and downregulated.

Where did you find this? Damn… This test must be done on healthy people who don’t experience side effects like us ! So what the hell!

It’s taken from this study.

1 Like

Thanks. Hey man, can you tell me, do you have skind and scalp insensivity too? When i run my fingers on my scalp, or scratch it with my fingernails, i can’t feel as good and as sensitive as before.

I think Accutane, just like Finasteride, causes AR damage on the whole skin and epithelial tissues.

Please examine carefully. Try to remember the pre-pas sensivity. Thanks.

It is no secret that retinoids affect a multitude of genes around the body. However only a small number of these genes are of interest as they only a small number have real biological plausibility for causing PAS and specifically sexual side effects. Hence although it may seem overwhelming when you see the vast number of genes, it is important to note that this number could be drastically reduced in a research capacity.

1 Like

How’s is going for you? I read through this thread and realized we both have the same progesterone levels. I’m pretty sure this is one of the main culprits to my sexual disorder.

I used Fin and not Accutane though.

1 Like

I have a very hectic lifestyle and I haven’t had the opportunity to source high quality mifepristone nor have I had a good period of time to experiment with it. So I haven’t made any progress but I have been living with these side effects for a very long period of time now.

I posted this theory just to get my thoughts out there and to try to bring together various bits of information. I don’t know if this theory is correct at all, it might not be but only time will tell. When we are in a position to investigate these things, it could be worth looking into.