Finasteride and Neurological Damage

I used PROPECIA for over 10 years consistently and I cannot begin to tell you how many problems i have had after stopping in 2012. `Around beginning 2015 i started having speech issues and to date i am having serious issues communicating. I am the managing director of a retail pharmacy chain and let me tell you. RX companies care nothing about you if they did they would not sell you this drug.

Hi sorry to hear your news I had hoped that you where getting better from your previous posts. Do you still get those ‘neurological twitches’ you posted about? Are there any other changes since 2014. Thanks

Really appreciate this. I only took the pill for three days and stopped. I have been experiencing horrible brain fog since the day I stopped here is a log:
Day 1: took the drug
Day 2: skipped
Day 3: took the drug
Day 4: woke up feeling like I was in a bubble or under water. Stopped the drug.
Day 5: felt same as before
Day 6: felt the same
Day 7: still feel the same today.

I’m really hoping this goes away, but it feels to intense to just magically go away.

1 Like

How long did you take it for? Any relief? I feel the same way

Very interesting thread.

we should read this correctly

Well I took Propecia for 2 years and stopped because of obvious sexual side effects and now, 6 years later, had Transverse Myelitis. Something that happens in 2-4 ppl out of a million.

2 Likes

My neurologist was convinced that I had this a couple of months ago as my nervous system was going haywire that is until my spinal scan came back clear. As far as I know 5alpha reductase is important for the glial cells to function properly. Sorry to hear about your diagnosis man

Could you please post a member story about your experience with fin?

It would be appreciated.

2 Likes

Did you have a spinal tap?

Yes I did and the doctor hit my nerve going in sending my leg into a spasm definitely a very uncomfortable situation.

Can you describe your symptoms in relation to the diagnosis?

Has anyone here had a SPECT scan done it’s been recommend to me by a friend. MRI’s can only check for structural damage whereas this can look deep into the brain for any signs of damage.

My neurologist said that it is not recommended. The change or damage is on a biochemical level, even less than cellular. No scanning is able to capture which chemicals or substances are active or inactive in the brain. And unlike experiments done on mice, scientists do not put a tube directly into living brains of living humans and inject something through it or look through it. Ethics in research, and potential for damage on top of it. In vogue right now are all the uses of new scans, including FDG (radioactive glucose that is uptaken more or less of a degree in different brain regions). But each brain region is connected to the other regions by millions of neurons and connections, so this kind of scan too does not give us the true picture of what is happening with our condition.

The reason I talked about a SPECT scan is that a friend who I have become close with got one after MRI’s weren’t able to identify damage. He took Lexapro or whatever it’s called once and using this scan was able to identify brain damage as parts of his brain weren’t lighting up properly anymore and thus was able to get on disability.

Hello Papa can you elaborate this ? What kind of damage did he get ?

Brain damage from one pill, certain brain regions weren’t lighting up properly indicating severe dysfunction.

What do you guys think of this?

Myelin repair dug for MS in the pipeline.

1 Like

Dysfunction and damage aren’t always the same thing. I can give you a high dose of opiates or barbiturates and your brain will certainly display signs of dysfunction (areas not lighting up properly) but your brain hasn’t been damaged.

2 Likes

And if it lasts for many years it’s damage. PSSD guy has it had for 23 years. That’s damage.