0) Where are you from (country)?
1) How did you find this forum (Google search – if so, what search terms? Via link from a forum or website – if so, what page? Other?)
Stumbled upon it while I was browsing through various hairloss related forums that had ongoing discussions about the side effects of finasteride.
2) What is your current age, height, weight?
Height: 6 ft 2
Weight: 180 lbs
3) Do you excercise regularly? If so, what type of excercise?
Every day. Weight lifting, running, thai boxing and mma training.
4) What type of diet do you eat (vegetarian, meat eater, raw, fast-food/organic healthy)?
I’d say I’m sticking to a pretty healthy diet as I try to eat a lot of proteins and carbohydrates.
5) Why did you take Finasteride (hair loss, BPH, other)?
6) For how long did you take Finasteride (weeks/months/years)?
(For a period of about a month, took 36 pills exactly. During this period I also took a couple of days off of taking finasteride due to side-effects but decided to continue taking it again anyway)
7) How old were you, and WHEN (date) did you start Finasteride?
22, started taking it around early or mid february 2011.
8) How old were you when you quit, and WHEN (date) did you quit?
22, stopped taking it march 20 2011.
9) How did you quit (cold turkey or taper off)?
10) What type of Finasteride did you use – Propecia, Proscar, Fincar or other generic?
11) What dose did you take (eg. 1 mg/day, 1 mg every other day etc.)?
12) How long into your use of Finasteride did you notice the onset of side effects?
Within the first weeks of using. Possibly days even.
13) What side effects did you experience while on the drug that have yet to resolve since discontinuation?
Loss of libido
Put an X beside all that apply:
[x] Loss of Libido / Sex Drive
[x] Erectile Dysfunction
[ ] Complete Impotence
[x] Loss of Morning Erections
[x] Loss of Spontaneous Erections
[ ] Loss of Nocturnal Erections
[ ] Watery Ejaculate
[x] Reduced Ejaculate
[ ] Inability to Ejaculate / Orgasm
[x] Reduced Sperm Count / Motility
[x] Emotional Blunting / Emotionally Flat
[x] Difficulty Focusing / Concentrating
[x] Memory Loss / Forgetfullness
[x] Stumbling over Words / Losing Train of Thought
[x] Slurring of Speech
[x] Lack of Motivation / Feeling Passive / Complacency
[x] Extreme Anxiety / Panic Attacks
[x] Depression / Melancholy
[x] Penile Tissue Changes (narrowing, shrinkage, wrinkled)
[x] Penis curvature / rotation on axis
[x] Testicular Pain
[x] Testicular Shrinkage / Loss of Fullness
[x] Genital numbness / sensitivity decrease
[ ] Weight Gain
[ ] Gynecomastia (male breasts)
[x] Muscle Wastage
[x] Muscle Weakness
[x] Joint Pain
[ ] Dry / Dark Circles under eyes
[ ] Prostate pain
[x] Persistent Fatigue / Exhaustion
[ ] Stomach Pains / Digestion Problems
[ ] Constipation / “Poo Pellets”
[x] Vision - Acuity Decrease / Blurriness
[ ] Increased hair loss
[x] Frequent urination
[ ] Lowered body temperature
[x] Other (please explain)
Dry mouth and difficulty swallowing
Dry itchy skin and occasional rash
Difficulty using hands
14) What (if any) treatments have you undertaken to recover from your side effects since discontinuation of the drug?
None. Besides just keeping up training and working out hoping it will aid in recovering from this situation.
15) If you have pre or post-Finasteride bloodtests, what hormonal changes have you encountered since discontinuing the drug (pls post your test results in the “Blood Tests” section and link to them in your post)?
Still to come.
16) Anything not listed in the above questions you’d like to share about your experience with Finasteride?
17) Tell us your story, in your own words, about your Finasteride usage and side effects experienced while on/off the drug.
I guess my story is not much different from everyone else’s on this forum. I started taking finasteride back somewhere in February 2011. It’s amazing how 36 of such small pills have managed to have such a huge and devastating impact on my life. I’m guessing this story is going to be a long read so I’m apologizing for this beforehand. I’ll try to keep it as organized and readable as possible though.
I can’t really pin point exactly at what moment the side effects started occurring due to the fact I have such problems remembering things since taking this drug. Plus I feel I’ve been misinformed by my medical professionals and the inadequate side-effects labeling by Merck. At the time of taking Propecia I just wasn’t aware of all the side-effects so I haven’t been able to pay enough attention to it and judge it on it’s worth. Side-effects I did experience for a fact though have been:
- A decrease in libido.
- Watery ejaculate .
- Weaker orgasms.
- Pain in both testicles and chest.
- Emotional blunting, brain fog and concentration problems.
I don’t know exactly if I would qualify for erectile dysfunction while I was on the drug. Getting an erection surely turned more into a task though rather than being a response to erotic stimulance. Getting an orgasm also got harder. I linked this all to my decrease in libido though. If I would get an erection it would still be as strong as it was pre-fin.
I stopped taking propecia cold turkey after I discovered an article in the news paper stating there were numerous incoming reports by American psychiatrists of patients complaining about persistent erectile dysfunction even after stopping medication. This was march 20, 2011.
This article woke me up and I just didn’t want to risk being one of the sufferers from this condition. I figured stopping medication would bring back my libido to normal and all side-effects would disappear.
As days progressed things seem to have gotten back to normal, or so I thought. It wasn’t until around april 13 that I started noticing differences in experiencing music. It was like listening to my favourite music didn’t bring me the same enjoyable feelings anymore. And I can recall exactly how, at april 15, it was a nice hot sunny day and I was walking down the street. All women were wearing dresses or any other kind of summery figure accentuating clothing and this just didn’t do anything for me at all anymore. Girls I know I would normally find attractive and would give me a hard time to not look at while going like “DAMN” in my head now just didn’t do anything for me whatsoever. I felt little to no sexual attraction whatsoever.
This was the point I saw things go to complete shit. The occurrence of symptoms didn’t happen over night but it has gradually gotten worse as each day passes. I’ll make a list of symptoms that have occurred after april 15 (a month after stopping medication):
- Loss of libido.
- Erectile dysfunction. Getting an erection has gotten extremely hard, maintaining it even harder. And even if I do get an erection it’s not what it used to be. Most of the times it’s still somewhat soft and at most (it seems to be different each day and also time of day is also a big factor)I can get it to like 95% of what it used to be. I also seem to have lost morning erections and spontaneous erections are out of the question too.
- Very weak orgasms. It’s like the sperm slowly drips out of the penis and the whole experience of it doesn’t give me a feeling of pleasure anymore.
- My ejaculate changed from being watery to now being very thick.
- The pain in my balls has also returned. It sort of feels like a dull pain that you can also feel in the stomach area. As if you’ve taken a kick to the balls.
- Chest pains returned too.
- I was also shocked to find out I was losing body hair in a lot of places. There is a significant decrease in facial, arm pit, butt, chest, leg and pubic hair.
- And I was even more shocked to find out the hair on my balls started going white. And it’s still getting worse, the rest of my pubic hair is starting graying too and it just feels very dead or something.
- I’ve also noticed how I am losing strength and muscle too it seems. Especially in the calves and forearms/wrists. I’ve been working out for quite some years now so I’ve always been pretty muscled. Over the past few weeks I’ve seen my body changing a lot, I look kind of disproportioned right now due to the weird muscle loss pattern in my opinion.
- Another thing I am noticing is how my joints are popping very often. Any sort of movement results in popping of my joints.
- Difficulty using my hands, especially my fingers. It’s like they are locked or something.
- My skin has turned very dry and itchy. Sometimes I also seem to get a sort of red rash or something.
- Decreased sweating.
- Dry mouth and difficulty swallowing.
- Hoarse voice.
- Twitching muscles.
- My balls have started to shrink, they also feel less full too. And my ball sack just feels very saggy.
- My penis seems to be changing form slowly too. It’s gotten wrinkly and it seems to be slightly curving to the left.
- I am suffering from all the symptoms mentioned on the site in the neurological part full force so I won’t be listing them all. I guess everyone’s familiar with it.
This is as detailed as I can possibly express the symptoms I’ve been experiencing.
I’ve already been to the doctor and told him I am experiencing these side-effects even after a month of stopping. He told me to give it a couple of more weeks and he predicts I’ll most likely see the symptoms disappear in this frame of time (This was 1,5 weeks ago). I also notified him on the possibility that I am suffering from post-finasteride syndrome. He told me there was no way to possibly prove my current state is caused by the use of finasteride and basically said everything I’ve read on Propeciahelp.com is total bs and only contributes to panic and fear that leads to my erectile dysfunction and low libido. He also said it’s too soon after stopping the use of finasteride to say if the side-effects are not to still go away and I am best off seeing a psychiatrist.
My dermatologist which prescribed me Propecia told me he never had any of his patients report any of the things I addressed and thought my story was very unlikely too (in other words, just complete bullshit). He advised me to go see a psychiatrist as well.
What do you guys think? Is it really too soon to say anything about it? Am I jumping to conclusions?
I just don’t know what to think anymore. At the moment I just feel really depressed and not taken seriously, as if I have no leg to stand on in this case. I’m getting my blood tested asap and see what that will bring to light. Other than that I’m just clueless right now. I don’t know where to go from here.
To anyone taking the time to read and be willing to respond to this ridiculously long story, I thank you in advance. It is much appreciated
I’d also like to express how very sorry I am for everyone suffering from this hell they’ve been put in by taking this medication. I just have no words for it.