AR upregulation

_

Since finasteride inhibits T conversion into DHT, which is responsible for most androgen activity, it is plausible that prolonged finasteride use in predisposed individuals could simulate the effects of aging in young men. Since some of the effects of androgen inhibition can not be reversed once local androgen levels are re-established, it is temping to speculate that patients could still suffer from adverse sexual effects several months or even permanently after finasteride discontinuation because of aging effects caused prematurely by androgens deprivation, namely by artificially reduced DHT concentrations. Indeed, 2 of our patients were found to have low DHT levels in the cerebrospinal fluids long after finasteride discontinuation by Melcangi et al.

This part is the scariest to me…

5 Likes

Is there a way to get more DHT across the blood brain barrier? Like by injection of DHT or a DHT precursor?

1 Like

Wait… but why does it happen in some men only?? Surely it means androgen receptors get activated in the others… strange

1 Like

We likely have a genetic predisposition, i.e. our genetic profile is different from those other that react “normally” to this medication. It’s one of the things that we need to find out. A recent community project collected 23andMe data from users for this purposes. Hopefully, the data will be sufficient to generate leads.

2 Likes

I have a 23&me profile and already got my results and everything. Can I still contribute to this?

2 Likes

Please check the first post here; Important Announcement: Two Community-Led Research Projects - Please Participate

As you can see there is also a second project going on with a survey categorising all known symptoms of “PFS” (as well as PAS, PSSD etc.). In the not so distant future all of you will be kindly asked to participate.

1 Like

That is the rumored epigenetic part…They stay in this state due to an unknown epigenetic mechanism…Now I also have a question that even if they did begin functioning in a normal state would the side effects even resolve then? Because remember most of these side effects I believe are due to the down stream effect on the endocrine system…I also think “how” you are effected is more genetic than “if” you are effected.

3 Likes

If they do find the area of methylation, is there any treatment for something like that?

1 Like

the genetic predisposition of autoimmune diseases and shifted the balance in our immune systems causing all the downstream hormonal side effects. Finding a way to balance the immune system should be a first approach.

1 Like

There are demethylation agents. The problem is that we need very specific demethylation of those areas involved in PFS (if this even proves to be the problem). We do not want to demethylate areas not involved PFS, afterall Methylation is not generally a bad thing. Since we do not know yet which areas are involved in PFS, it is impossible to say whether there will be helpful agents. There are also other things going on in science including epigenetic editing with CRISPR. These tools are not yet at a stage where they can be used in humans, but their development is advancing rapidly. Hopefully, one day they will become an option.

Anyway, before we have a clear idea what is wrong with us, it is all speculation. We just don’t know.

2 Likes

@axolotl Diethylamine Salicylate is Antiandrogen? If I had a loss of androgens on the penis due to the Reparil, and the body has modified the AR in my penis and brain as he says above? Could be? Let me know thanks…

how is demethylating agent good if the AR is overexpressed to start with?
demethylation agents target methylated/under expressed tumor suppressor genes,not overexpressed tumor suppressor genes?
U get me right?
Tell me ur opinion :DD

@zadig777, we don’t yet know why this is happening. You are correct that it is a bit presumptuous to assume non-specific demethylation will lead to positive results.

For instance, persistent overexpression of a protein that abolishes the androgen signalling pathway could be a component of this condition, and use of demethylating agents may worsen this scenario.

2 Likes

wait,is it confirmed that the AR receptor is overexpressed or AR genes are overexpressed?

there is difference between gene expression and receptor

do you know for certain the answer to this?
im assuming that AR gene expressions are silenced/methylated,but i read otherwise on this forum so im confused…

2 Likes

Well, the study of PFS patients linked in the opening post found twice the number of AR proteins in tissue samples taken from PFS patients compared to controls.

The AR protein is considered to be the expression of the AR gene in this context.

2 Likes

I too always thought there is a difference between Gene overexpression and AR overexpression. AR overexpression has different implications. I cited a paper in a different thread where men with cancer were given AR suppression therapy, and those men shared all of the same side effects that we have.

1 Like

Do you think we will ever have a cure?

Yes, but it will take time.

2 Likes

Yes I do think we will find a cure, or treatment at worst

2 Likes

It would be so beautiful, I miss women, happiness, my body, having sex, it would be heaven for all of us to come back as before! :blush::blush::blush:

7 Likes