23andMe Results

Whole process will probably take 4-6 weeks. That’s ok though, during this time we will be working out kinks in the programming.

1 Like

Hey Ghost I just found out there’s a closer DNA company to me, Ancestry. I’m wondering would that provide the same data you guys could use? If so i might purchase their kit as it’s in the UK so close enough to me.

it’s unlikely the genetic dataset provided will be the same, so please use 23andme if you want to help provide data. As ghost says, the cheaper option is fine as we need the raw output, and it’ll take us a bit of time to set up the technical infrastructure for analysis so don’t worry about the speed of it.

2 Likes

23andme does not provide a full genomic sequencing, so potential genes involved in predisposing us to our variable degrees of PFS may not be in there, but likewise there could well be something very interesting. Considering many members already have this data and the low cost of the cheaper 23andme option, the sum total of the extra cost for interested individuals won’t be that huge to get us to the point where we have a useful dataset to work with. Because @awor, @ghost and I will be doing the work, that makes it a cheap and worthwhile project in my personal opinion. But it’s up to you whether you feel it’s something you’d feel is worthwhile to participate in.

3 Likes

Is anyone aware of a way to get 23andme in countries besides the ones listed on their website? If not, would the sample still be viable if I had someone order it in the US, ship it here and send it back?

Very good idea. Just do it! But send it back to your contact. I think you meant that…

1 Like

Yes and we in the US are willing to help if needed. However, it might be better to get it from someone closer to the UAE, that might save on shipping costs and hassle.

Plz use 23andMe. I’ve tried using Ancestry data and in the program that I’ve helped write it doesn’t work well. That’s the program that I’m using right now until @axolotl, @awor and I get PLINK going.

Done. Please let me know if you have any issues accessing my data.

Thank you guys again for doing this.

2 Likes

I have uploaded my data.

2 Likes

Thanks for the data which uploaded so far, we will need a LOT more though to achieve the required statistical power. So please keep on posting.

some thoughts

• there should be a collection of genetics data also from people who took finasteride/saw palmetto… and they had no sides from them.
    This set could be used to confirm the results on data of pfs users.
  • each genetic set should be linked with a description form of the user. we have common sides profile but different degree of pfs/sides.
  • there is a similar activity on pssd forum http://www.pssdforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1993&hilit=23andme
    perhaps could be useful share the knowledge and technical principles/methods/tools, perhaps data too
  • if the users data will grow consistently, perhaps a common database from where get data for the analysis, could be useful.
    I imagine a database where there are data of pfs, pssd, users, no pfs/pssd users …
  • pfs user mariovitali has data and knowledge about genetic analysis but I don’t think he would share his results/methods/data
    this is his blog http://algogenomics.blogspot.com/
2 Likes

Just uploaded my data. Thank you guys so much for your efforts and this great project!

2 Likes

Cool shit guys. Mine arrived in post today.

2 Likes

Hi bro
I want 23and me , plz sombody guide me which test to order and how

2 Likes

23andMe DNA Test Ancestry Personal Genetic Service - includes at-home saliva collection kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZ5K87Z/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_XHiCBbCPPXH2A

3 Likes

is https://www.propeciahelp.com/blog/research/genetic-community-research-project/
the link where upload now the data ?

1 Like

Hi mblu27, yes, the dropbox link on that page is the same as the one @awor linked above.

2 Likes

Hey,

I don’t believe they ship to India, so your best course of action would be to talk to someone who is in the states who can ship to you, or speak to an active forum member in the states who can do the same for you. Looking forward to the data.

1 Like

This might be of interest to some people here.

I a compiling a list of SNPs implicated in my PSSD Genome Study. The analysis will get better and better over time but for now it’s using a program that we developed ourselves at the PSSD Forum.

1 Like