23andme Patient Data Analysis

Does this gene test cover the whole gene sequence?

Unfortunately not, it is only a small percentage of the SNPs in the genome. However, considering the money spent by patients on repeated tests and treatments with no plausible benefit, we consider the low aggregate cost to be worth it for the potential benefit. This has the potential - even if it’s only a chance - to reveal information that could move us forward. It is worth taking that into account when considering if members can personally afford to take part.

Best

2 Likes

Thanks @axolotl
Don’t you think that this could be missleading as we don’t even know which genes are affected, and what if the affected genes are not covered by this test? This doesn’t mean we should not do it, the only thing is, it could be tricky…
Thanks

2 Likes

It’s a statistical frequency exercise vs control data, so no, I doubt there’s much chance for it to be misleading. It is possible that polymorphisms relevant to development of the condition are not in the selection. If that’s the case, then we just wont get a finding of significance. The cost is so low in aggregate it’s something we consider very worthwhile, and a project which offers the chance of a very important finding. Given the popularity of this test many members had it already. It isn’t the only iron we have in the fire - just an opportunity for patients who would like to help. We ideally need a fair few dozen more to have a data set of practical use, as GWAS is usually conducted with many more data sets than we have.

Best

1 Like

I see there are 2 tests, one is 79 quid, the other is 149, probably the second one is more comprehensive I guess…?

The more expensive test gives you additional “reports” based on your data. We just need the raw data. So for our purposes the cheaper test is sufficient.

2 Likes

Thanks

Hi there, is the “DNA icon” next to people’s usernames and indicator that they’ve submitted their 23andme results?

In that case, it looks like my submission is not counted (I don’t have an icon yet).

hi @M_C, we’re really busy with a lot of things for the shift to outreach and new projects in the new year, but rest assured it’ll show up. It needs to be manually done by @Greek and @awor needs to provide him with access to the list of users. Once this is done you should see them start appearing.

Best

axo

1 Like

Could anyone please tell me the specific 23andme kit to order? There seem to be several different options of varying prices. Cheers!

No worries - just wanted to make sure you have as many results as possible. I’ll stop pestering you about it now. :grinning:

3 Likes

23andMe have a special offer valid until Dec. 2:
This is a great opportunity to get your data for our 23andMe project!

4 Likes

Last call for 23andMe data!

…And thanks to all who submitted.

Remember that you can remove all references to your real name from the file you upload. Just remember to use your member name here and upload according to the instructions in the first post in this topic:

Please be sure to state in this thread if you upload a file so that it can be added to the current set of data to be analyzed.

3 Likes

Is it closing??

Will you be able to check with 23andme whether we have DNA methylation?

1 Like

Mr Dubya why it is last call? I thought there is no time limits

1 Like

The first round of analysis is beginning now. There was a TON of preparation preceding starting from scratch doing a GWAS to make sure it is being performed with minimal error.

@airforlife
It’s never too late to submit a 23andMe file.
Once complete, an option could be to repeat the steps annually to include the new data and increase the statistical power of the results.

Ideally, we would have around 1,000 genotypes to begin with. As of now, we have a little over 60.

10 Likes

1000? But where do we get so many samples from?

It would be best if everyone viewed every single submission as adding a little to the quality of the results and not despair about having relatively few at this point.

4 Likes