(17) I took a single pill of finasteride 4 months ago and I'm going through hell

Welcome to our community. Please fill in the following template as a way of introducing yourself, and helping others to understand your background and situation.

Where are you from (country)? Western Europe

How did you find this forum (Google search – if so, what search terms? Via link from a forum or website – if so, what page? Other?) /

What is your current age, height, weight? 17, /, /

What specific drug did you use (finasteride, dutasteride, saw palmetto, isotretinoin/Accutane, fluoxetine, sertraline, citalopram, leuprorelin, etc…)? Finasteride

What dose did you take (eg. 1 mg/day, 1 mg every other day etc.)? single 1.25 mg pill of proscar

What condition was being treated with the drug? MPB

For how long did you take the drug (weeks/months/years)? 1 day

How old were you, and WHEN (date) did you start the drug? 17, May 19th 2019 8 p.m.

How old were you when you quit, and WHEN (date) did you quit? 17

How did you quit (cold turkey or taper off)? Cold turkey

How long into your usage did you notice the onset of side effects? After 2 hours testicular pain for 5 days, 1 week later sexual, mental issues

What side effects did you experience that have yet to resolve since discontinuation? Libido, sensitivity, depression, skin issues (perhaps lipoatrophy), maybe gynecomastia, after 3 1/2 months facial changes along with skin issues

Check the boxes that apply. You can save your post first, then interactively check/uncheck the boxes by clicking on them. If your symptoms change, please update your list.

Sexual
[/] Loss of Libido / Sex Drive
Erectile Dysfunction
Complete Impotence
Loss of Morning Erections
[/ ] Loss of Spontaneous Erections
[/ ] Loss of Nocturnal Erections
Watery Ejaculate
Reduced Ejaculate
[/ ] Inability or Difficulty to Ejaculate / Orgasm
Reduced Sperm Count / Motility

Mental
[/ ] Emotional Blunting / Emotionally Flat
Difficulty Focusing / Concentrating
[ /] Confusion
Memory Loss / Forgetfulness
Stumbling over Words / Losing Train of Thought
Slurring of Speech
[ /] Lack of Motivation / Feeling Passive / Complacency
[ /] Extreme Anxiety / Panic Attacks
[/ ] Severe Depression / Melancholy
[ /] Suicidal Thoughts

Physical
[maybe] Penile Tissue Changes (narrowing, shrinkage, wrinkled)
Penis curvature / rotation on axis
[// ] Testicular Pain
[ maybe] Testicular Shrinkage / Loss of Fullness
[ /] Genital numbness / sensitivity decrease
[not attributable] Weight Gain
[ maybe] Gynecomastia (male breasts)
[maybe ] Muscle Wastage
[maybe ] Muscle Weakness
Joint Pain
[perhaps worsened] Dry / Dark Circles under eyes

Misc
Prostate pain
[ /] Persistent Fatigue / Exhaustion
Stomach Pains / Digestion Problems
Constipation / “Poo Pellets”
Vision - Acuity Decrease / Blurriness
Tinnitus (ringing or high pitched sound in ears)
Hearing loss
[/ ] Increased hair loss
Frequent urination
Lowered body temperature

[/] Other (please explain)
Depersonalization, skin issues ie lipoatrophy, drastic increase in body hair, testosterone increased by 62% (24nmol in April > 39nmol in July), breathing problems (feeling as if oxygen doesn’t reach sides of head)

What (if any) treatments have you undertaken to recover from your side effects since discontinuation of the drug? Vitamin D supplements, headache pills

If you have pre or post-drug blood tests, what hormonal changes have you encountered since discontinuing the drug (please post your test results in the “Blood Tests” section and link to them in your post)? Current bloodwork still being done, testosterone rose by 62% in a mere 3 months

Anything not listed in the above questions you’d like to share about your experience?

Tell us your story, in your own words, about your usage and side effects experienced while on/off the drug.
Hi, I took a single pill of finasteride at 17 after a quack of a dermatologist prescribed it to me. I had 5 days of testicular pain which appeared almost immediately. Following that were depersonalization, emotional bluntness, genital numbness, breathing issues and headache, shitty libido, etc. Too many to count, really. I’d had such high libido before that I’d masturbate twice per day, so my libido loss and sudden loss of sensitivity in my corpus spongiosum really hit me. Those probably aren’t all of the symptoms. My testosterone prior to the fin was 24nmol, which is already high, and turned into 39nmol 3 months later. That’s 9 nmol above the upper range of Tanner V. Until I get a more comprehensive blood check result tomorrow, that’s the only clue I have.

I’ve had countless problems since but I seriously don’t know how to handle the latest one I’ve noticed. My skin has turned dry, lost elasticity (even my 50 year old mother’s skin feels healthier in that aspect). I can pull my skin at all areas much farther than before. Lipoatrophy seems to explain this and it’s apparently irreversible. Now, I don’t know if this came overnight or if I just noticed it 3 days ago, but either the former happened or it just got massively worse in a single day (leaning more towards this). If you’ve ever seen Matthew Johnson’s imgur album, my skin is similar to his when he started tracking its texture, though it doesn’t look as bad since I’m half his age. I look legitimately terrible, and it isn’t my hair. It was never my hair, actually. It’s my skin that looks and feels like fucking rubber. Whenever I took photos of my hair, it wouldn’t have even looked that bad if it was another guy. I just blamed my hair loss on my then bad appearance.

I should’ve never taken it to see if I’ll have side effects, I guess I’ll regret that for my entire life. My hair wasn’t even that bad, at most maybe a NW2.5 but definitely a NW2. It still had plenty of density and the corners hadn’t even receded that much. I fucking hate myself for even obsessing over it since January 2019 for no good reason. I had absolutely no good reason to take this kind of drug this young. What the fuck was I thinking? If anything, I loathe myself so much for that decision that I want to murder myself. This is absurd. I constantly contemplate suicide. But don’t get me wrong - I’m nowhere even close to seriously committing suicide,
and probably never will. But if I could die without any following consequences, I might consider it. Because I really want to die. Not only because of these ridiculous symptoms but because I can’t live with inflicting this shit upon myself and the regret. I just feel utterly hopeless because despite it just being a single dose as far back as May, my condition still seems to worsen every other week or so. I learned to cope with my mental or sexual issues but I doubt it’ll be as easy if my appearance also takes a hit. Fuck my life, fuck all of this, fuck my geriatric dermatologist. If only I’d just thrown away that pill right before I took it. Maybe I would’ve if I’d done just a bit more research. Just a bit more rather than some pro-finasteride ncbi article. Who even gives a shit about hair loss? I could’ve just gone to the gym instead, I still had years of hair anyway before going noticeably bald. Now however, my hair is thinning more rapidly than ever before, perhaps due to increased testosterone. But anyway, I couldn’t have ever imagined then what I’d be going through now. This is so fucking ridiculous that this might be divine punishment or karma, honestly. Seriously, why did this have to happen to me? What are the chances? I want to die. I really want to die. I had ambitions before. I had hobbies, I loved listening to music, literature, learning languages and politics, hell, even the kitschiest forms of escapist entertainment, but recently I hardly give a shit anymore about any of it. Back in early and mid-July, things seemed to improve, but then my penis lost sensitivity in another area. After going to the capital to meet a top private urologist and being told that I was fine, my situation has steadily worsened and I then began blaming the finasteride seriously, losing hope and mentally burdening my mother even more.

Please excuse my poor writing. Sorry if it seems pretentious and annoying. Most of it came spontaneously and this rambling is the result.

4 Likes

Hey man, the suicidal thoughts and “wanting to die” are themselves a symptom of pfs. They will pass, so don’t do anything stupid.

Hang in there.

2 Likes

Dear papajohns,

Welcome to our forum! I am sorry that you have to go through this. As you can see when browsing the forum, we have many, many people here who can relate to your suffering and who have similar symptoms after taking Finasteride, Accutane or antidepressants. You are not alone!

Nothing in your post is pretentious or annoying. Far from it! Many of us used to have or still have the same thoughts, the same regret, the same anger about making such a mistake. The truth is, it is not our fault. While one can always do more research, our condition is not even generally accepted in the medical or scientific community. And we shouldn’t have to do extensive research in the first place when being prescribed with a drug against a comparatively trivial cosmetic problems like male pattern baldness. The blame is with the authorities that have and are still letting us down.

Fortunately, on this forum we also have a dedicated team that is working to create more awareness of this condition and to initiate more research into the underlying cause that will, hopefully, one day lead to potential treatment options. For this we need everyone’s help here.

Please consider participating in our community projects, which are presented here: Important Announcement: Two Community-Led Research Projects - Please Participate

The Survey takes around one hour of your time and can be saved on every step if you want to go through it in multiple sittings. The results will be very helpful to present systematic data with regard to the numerous symptoms that people in our community suffer from. Please also see here for more help: Have you signed up to take the post drug syndrome survey? This topic is for you

The 23andme project will cost about a 100 bucks, depending on location, and will provide genome data that may help us to find genetic similarities between patients that may predispose us for this condition. Needless to say, this would be very helpful.

Please also consider to report your adverse effects to the authorities to make them aware of the risks these drugs pose to the public. Country links can be found here: https://www.who.int/medicines/areas/quality_safety/regulation_legislation/list_mra_websites_nov2012.pdf

If you want to help raise awareness on social media, please volunteer in this thread: Are you interested in sharing your story for our Youtube project?

Welcome, thank you and good luck!

1 Like

Maybe, but I have many other reasons. I just regret taking fin so much. After looking at that thread with facial changes, I feel like my skin is just aging rapidly. Everyday I keep thinking how I’d feel if I’d never taken it.

I don’t know how to handle this. Mental and sexual issues are one thing. You can keep them to yourself and learn to cope with them and somehow blend into society. Appearance problems like lipoatrophy and rapid hair loss are fucking terrifying, easily the scariest thing I’ve felt in the past 4 months. My skin doesn’t feel bound to my face anymore. I feel as if I can pull it until it tears or forms wrinkles. Its texture is completely fucked and when pressing down on my cheeks, I feel nothing underneath. I imagine looking like Matthew Johnson in less than a year’s time and I’m so scared. I’m now also suspecting gyno, but even that’s preventable and reversible.

I keep thinking that I want to go back in time, afterwards I realize how fucked up I am and want to kill myself. How can this happen or why did I allow it to? I’ve never felt this desperate about any of the other symptoms. I felt as if they’d recover somewhat with time and that I could cope with them. This seems entirely different and the only genuine solution I can think of is suicide.

1 Like

Hey man, don’t think about suicide dude, as rough as it is right now, it’ll get better. My skin has taken a huge hit, and my hands look worse than my uncle who is 60… Although my face skin texture is still normal (thank god, please don’t let them take this away from me), my skin is extremely weird, especially when i wash it, feels so fucking different, and stretchy and loose. Worst case scenario, you can get a cosmetic, work on your mental sides, if you’re good mentally, you can easily get out of this.

Do I just order the regular 23andme test?

1 Like

@papajohns I can emphasize with the skin and physical changes man, I’ve had many changes to my body since taking the drug 11 months ago. We can’t change the fact that we took the medication. That much is already done. I always think of it in terms of this: if somebody invented a way to travel back in time, we wouldn’t be the only ones fighting to get in front of the line lol. Take a look at my video I posted under “photos of body changes” and let me know if you are facing similar issues with your skin and/or muscles.

Let’s talk if you want.

Yes!

1 Like

I find it crazy a kid so young would actually take Propecia

1 Like

I find it crazy why these mother fuckers are still selling this rat poison

4 Likes

Piece of shit doctors that are dumb and don’t know the dangers of it man, this kid should have never been given this shit

1 Like

Yeah I took it just twice at 17 and I’m still fucked up from it over a year later. Whoever still claims this poison is harmless needs to be physically castrated tbh.

2 Likes

How you doing in terms of recovery 1 year later?

I got pfs last November but the crash fucked me up pretty badly so I couldn’t really exercise or start any protocol until around February, which is when I started the cd protocol. I live a pretty normal life nowadays, with some depression, emotional blunting and sexual stuff that comes and goes. I also seem to have some sort of depersonalisation, as in I don’t really “feel” like my old self.

So, I’m doing much, much better but not back to normal, at least yet.

Oh shit, are you cycingTY on swolesourc? I’ve been trying to hear people on the “not feeling themselves” part - It’s a pretty scary experience, and i don’t know how it’ll last. My derealisation has become much better, but still not feeling myself aswell.

Luckily my depression has reduced substantially, still get down once in a while when i acknowledge the things that has happened in terms of skin and dick still feeling funky, and obviously the feeling of not completely being myself, but hopefully we’ll get there man.

I’m currently on my second cycle of androhard and my “zest” for life is pretty much back in full force, which is a strange feeling after not having it for almost a year. I look forward to things in my life again, and it feels great.

Yeah the depersonalisation sucks, but I’ve had moments during my recovery journey where I feel like myself again, but it always fades after a couple days. Maybe this is part of the “ups and downs” that cdnuts talks about.

EDIT: Jesus, is swole source really not allowed here anymore? I tried to write the words swole and source together and it wouldn’t let me post it. Guess all the improvements I’ve had are fake and “pseudo science”.

Dude, that’s great. I hear a few people mention not feeling themselves, but if you’ve had days where you’ve felt like yourself, that’s reassuring. Happy that you’re doing much better, and hope to see you back to baseline soon.

1 Like

Can’t open the link though.

Yeah the guys on swole source seem to recover in about 1.5 to 2 years. I’ve only been doing cd’s stuff for 7 months and I’m already much better. I’m feeling optimistic that I’ll eventually recover, but not trying to get my hopes up in case I don’t.

Good luck to you as well bro.