Zulresso (IV Allopregnanolone)

Looks like you can just buy it right from that website.

Yup, as long as you’re a researcher

Someone on here must have a connection to be able to trial some. Its described as a GABA A agonist. Thats not what I thought it is supposed to be. I thought its upstream from GABA… creates GABA and modulates other hormones.

It acts on GABA receptors and influences sexual behavior, memory, many things.

Something interesting about allopreg is that too much of it induces aggression, anxiety, and unrest. I read that somewhere but I can’t freaking find it. There is a definite sweet spot to it. If someone finds a link to what I’m talking about, can you post it and tag me?

It’s just something to consider when and if we dose ourselves.

Found it! - it’s under the “biological function” heading.

It’s on Wikipedia I think :wink:

1 Like

I spoke to my niece who is a pharmacist about this. She said it’s not possible to use the active ingredient by itself, it would be useless even if we bought it because normally other ingredients are added to drugs to make them have the desired effect.

Do you think I could get support from the foundation if I volunteer to have the Zulresso treatment? I’m willing to pay half the cost myself, I’d have to travel to USA but I don’t mind. Should I send the foundation an e-mail about this?

1 Like

How do you know it’s only the active ingredient? Looks to me like it’s the actual Sage 217 drug.

I work in Biotech and have a colleague who was very high up at Sage about 10 years ago. He actually wants me to do some work for him. I am considering probing him for some contacts to get some inside information on this treatment. I’ll ping of couple of the very high level PHDs. I know in the industry to see what intel they have. I have not used any of my contacts out of fear of alienating myself or my company with my condition. Its a weird situation to be in but I cant risk my career at this point. Merk is not one of our clients and never will be. But you never know who knows who.

4 Likes

I myself do not know. I asked my niece about it and this is what she told me. Also I think it makes sense that they aren’t selling a drug prepared and ready to use that isn’t on the market yet.

My guess is that Sage licensed the science from somewhere else that shelved it years ago when it didnt pan out in old research or trials. Companies relicense old research all the time. Sage probably added some proprietary delivery method and then started trials. Remember… stuff like this has to cross the blood brain barrier and the half life has to be reasonable. It cant just be a GABA agonist. It MUST have some ability to kick start neurosteroid levels in a long term and meaningful way. Otherwise… what is the point. Your directly competing with SSRIs which are cheap. So the science / cost basis must be substantial when compaired to treating with cheap SSRIs SNRIs, etc…

A worry of mine is that we might have to regularly dose ourselves with allopregnanolone since it is low in our bodies. Perhaps a single zulresso session wouldn’t be enough to stave off symptoms forever.

On an offshoot about allopreg, I just read that GABA-A receptors, which are worked on by allopreg, are found in Leydig cells in the testicles. Interesting! (Under the distribution tab in the Wiki)

I just read the whole data sheet on the Sage drugs this morning. I “think” that the drug actually breaks some type of negative feedback loop and fixes a broken balance of things. It doesnt sound like the intention is to take the stuff forever. The trials in women only ran 6 weeks or something and results seemed to last. Sage is also trialing 217 for insomnia and has had very good results. Looks like it could be a wonder drug for broken brains. Fingers crossed. I still have yet to hunt down someone who knows more than what is published.

2 Likes

Is this the same thing?

Yes thats the one… its like the mother ship of all neurosterdoids and regulates thousands of things. If its broken or depleted… everything suffers downstream (as I understand it). I think the idea is that you jump start your brain with the parent of all of these hormones and neurosteroids (GABA being a BIG one) , that it will break a negative feedback loop and things will start to come back online and reach a new normal homeostasis.

1 Like

Yes thats the one… its like the mother ship of all neurosterdoids and regulates thousands of things. If its broken or depleted… everything suffers downstream (as I understand it). I think the idea is that you jump start your brain with the parent of all of these hormones and neurosteroids (GABA being a BIG one) , that it will break a negative feedback loop and things will start to come back online and reach a new normal homeostasis.

1 Like

Ganaxolone and Brexanaolone are both analogs of Allopregnanolone. Zulresso is IV Brexanolone and is currently available for PPD.

" Zulresso has a novel mechanism of action that is unlike any other approved antidepressant drug. When a woman is pregnant her body releases a compound called allopregnanolone, which is known to activate GABA receptors in the brain. In order to counteract this, a woman’s GABA receptors go dormant during pregnancy, but after a woman gives birth her allopregnanolone levels return to normal, and her GABA receptors reactivate.

It has been hypothesized that in some women those GABA receptors do not effectively, or quickly, reactivate, and this is what can trigger postpartum depression. Zulresso is a synthetic form of allopregnanolone designed to rapidly activate a woman’s GABA receptors and reduce acute symptoms of depression in the days after giving birth."

I think by taking Fin, we’ve replicated similar conditions in our brain, i.e., decreasing allopregnanolone. When we stop Fin, allopregnanolone comes back but GABA receptors aren’t working appropriately. Maybe IV Zulresso can knock our GABA receptors back into function.

1 Like

@dgreene No studies showed we have low neurosteroids including allopreg. After cessation of fin.

Maybe we had low allopregnanolone before fin and thats why we were susceptible to PFS. Maybe our levels came back but not as high as before fin. I don’t know. Either way, this is worth trying. Does anyone know how to set that up? I tried calling Goldstein office but I won’t be able to speak with him until 2nd week of July. Maybe we should start a designated fund for Zulresso trials so by the time we can get it we have funds available.

1 Like