Zinc Oxide from Sunscreens

I would be happy if someone helps me with this. Does anyone living in a hot climate here applies Zinc Oxide (Physical) sunscreens everyday? Would this topical application aggravate the symptoms since Zinc is a 5ari and AI?

Thanks

i use zinc oxide sunscreen everyday

i dont think its the same as zinc

it comes from a mineral, but i could be wrong in saying its not the same

1 Like

Thanks for the reply

So it’s safe right? Could u tell me if that Zinc Oxide in ur sunscreen is in Nano or Non Nano form?

i cant tell you that its safe

all i can say is that it doesnt give me adverse effects

and my sunscreen doesnt specify nano or non nano form

I’m not familiar with this kind of sunscreen, tbh, I pretty much just avoid zinc supplements, but it’ll be present in some foods I eat, I’m sure.

Can anyone else offer an opinion or an alternative?

1 Like

That’s a good question. For what it’s worth I’ve used a titanium dioxide and zinc-oxide blend sunscreen without any adverse effects that I can remember. I found this though. Thankfully it looks like it’s no problem:

After using nano-particle ZnO sunscreen, the volunteers gave blood and urine samples, which were analysed to see if the isotopic composition of zinc in their bodies was altered. There was some evidence of absorption of soluble zinc in the beach trial, but the amounts were very small. The recommended daily dietary intake of zinc is 8 mg for women and 11 mg for men. The amounts absorbed from sunscreen, which amounted to 0.001 per cent of the applied dose, were between 100 and 1,000 times smaller than this.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply, that’s a great read.
Do u still use Zinc Oxide sunscreen everyday?

Actually i did some research and found that there’s no other alternative, these physical ones (zinc oxide ones) are the only ones considered safe by scientists… the other one being chemical ones which are made of Oxybenzone, Avobenzone, Octocrylene, Octyl Methoxycinnamate (Octinoxate), Octisalate, Homosalate and Benzophenone which are proven endocrine disruptors… everyone must check of these ingredients and be wary of it in their sunscreens.

I usually forget to use sunscreen whenever I get a chance to get some sun which is very rare now with my extremely shifted circadian rhythm.

On chemical sunscreens, yeah, that’s the same conclusion I’ve come to.

1 Like

I would still like to bump, no one in this forum who lives in tropical regions uses sunscreens? 99% sunscreens have proven endocrine disruptors like Oxybenzone and Octinoxate about which i have never seen anyone talking here, and the other alternative being nanoparticles of zinc oxide which is considered as a 5ari, what shall we do now? Avoid sunscreens altogether forever?

From my experience and from what I’ve posted, I personally feel safe using zinc oxide sunscreens.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply Mercked, I had read somewhere here that topical zinc can act as an antiandrogen, idk what to conclude from this. Is urs a non-nano one?

Well, the study I posted is on nano particle zinc oxide sunscreen which suggests only around a 100th to 1000th of the daily required amount of zinc would get absorbed in one application.

I think I use a non-nano one, but I feel assured using a nano one.

Have you found other studies that say otherwise?

1 Like

Can someone give conclusive data if zinc is bad for us or not? Or is it only dangerous in high quantities?

Because we actually need zinc for various functions in our body.

I would never take oral zinc, i am just asking about zinc oxide in sunscreens

Yes don’t take oral zinc, zinc from diet is enough

Should we really believe in their studies? They concluded Finasteride as a very safe drug in studies :neutral_face:

Zinc Oxide is insoluble in water.

Are there even reports of people crashing from zinc?

Yes there are many

But i wanted to know about topical zinc

Sounds very safe:

The amounts absorbed from sunscreen, which amounted to 0.001 per cent of the applied dose, were between 100 and 1,000 times smaller than this.

And again:

These findings suggest that topical applications of 40% zinc oxide ointment do not result in significant absorption. This study serves as a starting point for further investigations.

I wouldn’t use it

I felt like SHIT after using sunscreen with zinc and the other shit in there

There’s gotta be an alternative