Why do I have no emotions?

Joetz:

Recently I purchased an Alpha Stim SCS (Cranial Electrotherapy Stimulator) It’s a bit pricey, but I’ve been using it here while fasting for the past seven days, and while it is recommended to be used for a period of three weeks before passing judgement, I can already tell there is something to it.

I wanted something to help get my sleep a little better without resorting to drugs. Once I finished doing my research, I was very impressed with the documented results on brain damaged patients. IMO, that’s exactly what we are to some degree.

In all honesty, if you hadn’t posted this, I wouldn’t have even brought it up on this site. The negativity here is too much. It’s no wonder why people are going to remain sick forever.

You may be able to use this device. I’d contact the manufacturer and find out if I were you. If your sleep is a bit off and you still have anxiety once in awhile and are depressed, this thing will make a huge difference.

There is a high level of negativity here because we have all read countless threads where people say something like “I’M CURED!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!” and then three days later we find out that they are still sick

I’m going to look into picking up one of these gizmos and report my findings. It’s a little tricky because you need a doctor’s prescription and it is a bit expensive.

I got myself an alpha-stim scs without a prescription by finding a used one. I’m really hoping it helps my anhedonic flat moods. Maybe if I see some progress I’ll start a new thread on the subject.

I used to react strongly to music and art. I was romantic. I wrote poetry.

Now I’m much more blunted emotionally. I feel no joy. Neutral is a good word (used above).

Same here, exactly. Numbed, indifferent. Flatlined. Loss of pleasureable feelings or emotional reactions to things which once gave feelings of joy.

I can totally relate here. Before fin, i had grand plans to travel the world, used to love music and feel a full spectrum of emotions. I find it hard to keep in contact with people now as it’s hard to portray a positive attitude. The idea of living alone in a cabin in the woods actually seems pretty appealing.

Welcome to the land of misfit and sickened toys…I can certainly relate to this as well. I’m an artist and used to love interacting with people. Now, living away from anyone and everyone i know seems a good idea. Yep, we have old guy disease…exercise is a must, being around nice & positive people, and reading positive literature helps.

I used to be able to stand the company of cynics, intellectuals and thinkers, but now i seem to only gravitate towards the extremely humble, nice and shy and or misfit type’s. I also think of only pursuing woman who are sickened or maimed in some way. I feel that they will be the only ones to understand me and put up with me in the end.

Besides this depressing forum, we need more support as a community, because that’s what we are, like it or not.

We are brothers or a fraternity with a common illness. We should look out for one another. A positive suggestion (negative and weird to some here) down the road, and maybe even now, might be to have a roommate/housing posting for post fin. sufferers. We are a community of suffering men. Get over it and face the truth. I know I’m not the only mother fucker with this problem, but most of us have a hard time functioning in the real world, and making a living. So sticking together and helping one another out, is a must and a good thing in my book.

Also, if I had the cash and time, I would establish some form of free support group for post fin. sufferers. I noticed alot of guys on here, also want to talk to someone going through the same problem or whatever. Someone to relate to. No offense to mew or the forum, but this shit on here, is strictly informative and not a therapeutic outlet and can depress, frustrate, and baffle the shit out of you.

To begin for support, how about a weekly/monthly Skype conference? If interested, PM me. I’ve set up a Skype account as “Former” for anyone who would want to add me.

If I see that 2 or 3 people are interested, I’ll work to coordinate a time for discussion.

Take care,

Former

So many things have gotten me my emotions back for a day or 2 then it always levels out back to nothing…

I was on the raw food diet for a month( nothing changed and i continued to feel like a zombie)
I ate at an all you can eat chinese resteraunt and stuffed up on all kinds of meat and cooked stuff and my emotions came back for 2 days! Now today im back to nothing… so frusterated.

Quite interested. PM sent.

Every day this week I have had 1-2 hours of all my emotions coming back. I think I might be on the road to recovery. It started out a hour of recovery a week and then an hour recovery twice a week and now every day something amazing happens every day even though it is short lived. Another thing I have noticed is that my skin has become very oily since this has started. I think some of my hormones are coming back online.

I watched some movies this weekend which were hyped as emotional, moving, sad, etc., and while watching the movies, each time I found myself completely detached and unaffected. My enjoyment of the movies was nil. I watched the events unfold on the screen but there was no visceral reaction.

This is a stark contrast to the past: I used to be deeply moved by poignant movies and such. Even teared up at the end of Wrath of Khan (hehe).

Post-fin, I havent had such an experience.

I can really identify with those who don’t get the same experience from listening to music anymore. Very bizarre experience when I first noticed it. I can still feel something when I listen to certain music but its just not the same…

Here’s an interview with a GQ journalist who suffered a few months of testosterone deficiency. He explains the feelings I’ve experienced much better than I could myself.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/220/testosterone
(Listen from 4:50 onwards).

He seems quite sanguine about the experience, but that’s easy when you’ve recovered.

Yeah i get that too, i don’t think my emotions are completely gone, but definitely numbed. I always feel more normal when talking tot other people. I think noone would ever suspect that something is up with me. It’s when i’m alone that i’m most aware of it all. I a weird way tho it’s like the body’s way of protecting me. Apathy is better than depression… right?

This is one of the biggest symptoms that makes living difficult. Not happy, not depressed just numb and blunted. Nothing excites me, there is no sense of pleasure. The ability to feel pleasure, or love, or any sort of… rush is gone.

Absolutely nothing feels the same. Like others have posted previously, who aren’t able to cry about this… I can’t either? Very strange feeling.

Ya, I was always a big crybaby in the old days. Overflowing with enthusiasm and laughter too, maybe to an extreme. My family chocked it up to me being a hormonal teenager. I feel like a complete robot a majority of the time now.

Is anyone familiar with the Vulcans from Star Trek…? I could pass for one.

Yea man I miss the feeling of just waking up, drinking some coffee and enjoying the weather. Or a favorite song on the radio. I hope this isnt forever its no way to live at 23. Just before fin my best friend/ ex girlfiend passed, and I cried for like a week but it felt healthy to let it out. Now when I think of her I feel very little emotion. Very disturbing to me. That was only three months ago… ive been off fin for 2 1/2 months…

I can relate…I took that damn saw palmetto and I lost all my emotions for months…then they came back and I was able to cry when someone died in a movie for example…but more than a year off the drug I still have trouble feeling sorry for people when they die or something traumatic happens to them I dont cry… im definately not myself anymore in the emotional department… I was a cry baby before even at age 23 now I kinda feel like a serial killer like a psycophat…sucks like hell