Warning: Borage seed oil

In 2012 my doc prescribed me borage seed oil to treat seborrheic and atopic dermatitis.
This supplement didn’t have particularly effect so he prescribed me protopic 0,1% (tacrolimus).
Protopic worked greatly but after a while I developed sexual side effect like memory problems, completely impotence and zero sex drive.
At the time I attributed side effects to protopic but today I found out the prescription and I noticed that I started to use protopic about two weeks after stopped borage seed oil.
Borage seed oil contains high amounts of gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), a strong 5-alpha reductase inhibitor.

Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1132824/pdf/biochemj00131-0210.pdf

2 Likes

After that supplement and those shitty side effects (temporary, fortunately) I also developed very quickly a lot of eye floaters and photobia (without any apparent reason). My ophthalmologist said that eye floaters can occurred early in a subject with myopia like me. He said that one of the main causes is oxidative stress.
Unfortunately, only today I found out the root cause of this shitty vision issue.
GLA causes oxidative stress.

http://www.irjabs.com/files_site/paperlist/r_3030_171021094837.pdf

5a-reductase Inhibitors can also cause oxidative stress (is this the root cause of pfs?).
My vitreous humour is completely full of floaters, only surgery can reverse the situation but it’s very dangerous.
I hope that our bodies and minds can be able to clean this shit asap.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that you’ve got floaters, I have them too (had them before this).

You can have them Lasered away, without surgery. Maybe look into that for the future. I don’t know much of the process but I think it’s much less risky than the surgical method. Some people’s brains end up learning to deal with the floaters and don’t see the them after a while.

I know those aren’t the most positive things, but things are less bad than you thought. That’s got to be worth something!

1 Like