Voice - back from Dr Shippen, updates

Did you spell his name correctly? Does he have a website? What is his background/specialty?

Can’t seem to locate him in Google, there are many Dr. Pearlman/Perelman/Perlman

This is him:

therapists.psychologytoday.com/r … York_26994

I think I might check him out too…

Voice please let me know how this goes…

I actually spoke with Dr. Perelman today on the phone, seems really cool and interested. He’s expensive but I believe I will see him and see how much my out of network coverage will cover…

mike

I’m sure you already know this, but Dr. Perelman’s web site states that he is a psychologist, not a physician. In all likelihood he won’t be able to prescribe medicine for you.

ya i saw doctor perelman and he is having me do some behavor treatment. Which i would rather there be a mircle pill but what can you do. He thinks it is definatley physcial to begin with but that i might be still carring out the problem psychologically. Which to me does not sound any more crazy then being on a drug for 2 and half months and having side effects for 3 years.

the method is i go without masturbating for 7 to 10 days then i almost climax but i stop then i do this again and again then i climax and i am supposed see if this feels pleasurable.

That technique is called edging, and it is a good way to raise test levels when you don’t let yourself climax. When you finally do, it’s pretty intense. (or it’s supposed to be anyway)

Voice,

I may go see him. Can he prescribe meds? Was he helpful and understanding?

Voice, did you look into the Midodrine from my previous post? The docs doing the work are pretty local to NYC - kazman

i have not tried any drugs as of recent i am doing the behavior method and there might be something to it i will need more time to make any opinion what so ever

Voice, originally in this thread, when you said Dr Shippen says that 20 -25% of Fin guys dont respond to treatment, is this ALL treatment including hormone replacement (TRT etc)?

Or is this just the ones that dont respond to naturally healing?

I think I know what the answer is, but just want to make sure im reading this right. I know Shippen is very hesitant on prescribing TRT before everything else has been exhausted.

Voice, He is certainly entitled to his opinion regarding a lawsuit, but there are dozens of different strategies that could be used against Merck in a lawsuit. The point being I don’t think we need to have all men experiencing the same hormonal problems to have a strong case against them.

I have always felt the base case against them for a lawsuit would be their statement included in with the drug, that side effects would subside after 6 months of discontinued use. They did have the long-term tests done to that would be required to validate that statement. There is a well known dr that was opposed to the finasteride used for hair loss for this very reason. I can’t recall his name. Maybe someone can chime in and add it.

ya i have tried Dht and testosterione but i have not done any hormone replacement that seems like that would be last option

hey i have just got back from the mayo clinic they ran some test on me including ultrasound, they said every thing looks normal except i have a very small cyst on my ejaculatory duct. I asked the doctor since i have an ejaculatory problem if that could be it. He told me no but he wants to do another ultrasound in a year he said i should see a psychologist in that time. Maybe its in my head maybe its not. I dont know i suppose it is the mayo clinic and he knows what he is talking about. I was just curious if anyone had an opinion on this cyst thing.

It was some time ago, but I talked to one of the urologists at the “prestigeous” Mayo Clinic. After I told him about my circumstances, he told me there is no “cure” for ed, I was like wtf, no point in continuing this conversation.

That was a long time ago and hopefully things work out better for you. Keep us informed.

It could be a sex chord stromal tumor. These often secrete hormones or hormone like substances such as inhibin. Any chance they checked your inhibin B level?

I went to the doctor the other day to see if he could recommend a neurologist for my problem. I told him about propecia and he said he just read a medical journal the other day about persistent side effects. He could not find it when i was there so i dont know who wrote it, but it must be Dr. Irwig. Its just cool to here that in my small little my family practice doctor has heard of persistent side effects with propecia. NO MORE RECOMMENDATIONS TO SEE A PSYCHOLOGIST

Voice, I haven’t seen you here for a really long time. I hope you are feeling better. Dr. Irwig has done a great thing for us, but in doing so he has also gone out on a limb and taken a huge risk by challenging big pharma. I have already seen other doctors (who have a vested interest in keeping this quiet) attack his research or him personally.

i was reading the medical journal Dr. Irwig wrote, and it says:

The mean
duration of the persistent sexual side effects was at
least 40 months, with 20% of subjects reporting
durations of over 6 years.

I have had this problem for 4.5 years is there maybe an end in site?

I’ve just past the 4 year mark too :frowning:

There is a way out - the question is can our bodies do it themselves? I’m in a terrible shape at the moment. We need to have research done. It is the only way.

Our bodies don’t respond to androgens the way they should. Some pathways are still intact others aren’t. The mechanism of why some of them are silenced needs to be found out so we can make treatments.

The theories on this board:

1. the androgen insensitivity idea due to androgen receptor hypersensitivity whilst on fin followed by a downregulation after stopping fin as an influx of DHT floods the receptors - this is the strongest theory. Explains why symptoms get worse after stopping. Explains why TRT doesn’t help and can make things worse. It is by far the best idea. Even explains why xyrem has helped a couple people and why antibiotics can help.

2. Oscars - increased metabolism idea - this says that the liver is basically deactivating the hormones before they can work - however, as part of the theory all hormones need to be metabolised too quickly. Not convinced about this as thyroid axis is fine and due to negative sides of increased estrogen. Oscar will deny this but people have complained of issues.

3. Others - dolichol idea (not overly convincing but tntw has improved somewhat on it)
    - prostate - inflamed - perhaps infected - again not very convincing as systemic symptoms too severe

One thing is clear we suffer from an androgen deprivation syndrome - the extent of which varies. We need to figure out where along the chain the problem is and whether it is an epigenetic issue or a protein post translational modification. I know awor is trying to figure this out. The receptor could be messed up or the signal after the hormone binds to the receptor is. My money is on the signal. Then its about figuring out the mechanism whether it be DNA methylation, or histone acetylation and where it is - for example on an AR co-regulator or the receptor itself.

Let us hope we have the tools to figure this out soon. We may need to put some money towards it to figure it out. We know what to do. We just need someone to do it.

This just means 20% of the sample were long term sufferers. Undoubtedly there are thousands of guys who have been suffering for 8-10 yrs who most likely have no idea what happened to them. Their doctors told them there were crazy, etc. There is no pattern showing you tend to improve after any particular time frame.