TV drama pushes finasteride by name

FYI:
New TV drama named “9-1-1 Lone Star” mentioned (pushed) finasteride in its second episode.

The character played by Rob Lowe takes finasteride to prevent baldness. He also has cancer and his doctor is telling him he needs to stop taking finasteride as it will interfere with his cancer treatment. He was wrestling with the choice between keeping his hair or saving his life. The following is a screenshot of a recap of a pertinent part of the episode.

Slightly bizarre and of course a worry to have the drug brought into the mainstream consciousness in such a relatively uncritical way (“it’s also good for his prostate health”). Incidentally, it’s interesting that the character is being played by Rob Lowe; he was openly gushing about Finasteride last year in mainstream TV and news outlets

“Can we talk about William?” Prince William? “I mean the future king of your country let himself lose his own hair!"

Honestly, one of the great traumatic experiences of my life was [watching Prince William lose his hair.” Imagine what it must have been like for Wills. “But he’s going to be the f—ing King of England!” gawps Lowe, stuttering with disbelief now. “And… and there’s a pill! The first glimmer that a single hair of mine was going to fall out, I was having stuff mainlined into my f—ing veins. And that’s what I did for the next thirty years.” Perhaps the Duke of Cambridge doesn’t understand that hair loss isn’t something men have to put up with anymore, I venture. “No. But can’t someone make him?

Clarifying those comments, Lowe said on ITV’s ‘Good Morning Britain’

“That says more about me than him,”

“My point was here’s a guy who is fully comfortable in his own skin, then on the other side of the coin you have me, I can’t even watch another guy go bald without being even more narcissistic and wanting to plug in the propecia into a drip into my own [vein]."

1 Like