Tribulus Terrestris may boost androgen levels, nitric oxide release

Sexual Effects of Puncturevine (Tribulus terrestris) Extract (Protodioscin): An Evaluation Using a Rat Model

liebertonline.com/doi/abs/10 … 0360623374

Objective: Apart from its claims for improvement of sexual functions in men, the puncturevine plant (Tribulus terrestris: TT) has long been considered as an energizer and vitalizer in the indigenous system of medicine. Sexual behavior and intracavernous pressure (ICP) measurements were taken in rats to scientifically validate the claim of TT [containing protodioscin (PTN)] as an aphrodisiac.

Materials and methods: Forty sexually mature male Sprague-Dawley rats were randomly divided into four groups of 10 each. Group I served as a control group and groups II, III, and IV were treated with three different doses of TT extract (2.5, 5 and 10 mg/kg body weight, respectively), orally, once daily for 8 weeks. Weight was recorded and the rats from all four groups were subjected to sexual behavior studies with primed females and various parameters namely mount and intromission frequencies (MF and IF, respectively), mount, intromission and ejaculation latencies (ML, IL, and EL, respectively) as well as postejaculatory interval (PEI) were recorded. In addition, blood pressure and ICP were recorded for all rats at the end of study.

Results: Increases in body weight (by 9, 23, and 18% for groups II, III & IV) and ICP (by 43% and 26% for groups III and IV) were statistically significant compared to the control group. Increases in MF (by 27% and 24%) and IF (by 19% and 22%) for the groups III and IV were statistically significant. Decreases in ML (by 16%, 23%, and 22% for groups II, III, and IV) and PEI (by 20% for group III) were statistically significant compared to the control.

Conclusions: The weight gain and improvement in sexual behavior parameters observed in rats could be secondary to the androgen increasing property of TT (PTN) that was observed in our earlier study on primates. The increase in ICP which confirms the proerectile aphrodisiac property of TT could possibly be the result of an increase in androgen and subsequent release of nitric oxide from the nerve endings innervating the corpus cavernosum.

So this confirms that it does indeed improve sexual function!!

so the weight gain they are reffering to is lean mass? or just fat

The study isn’t very clear about details, I just found it interesting that they correlated an improvement with regards to sexual functioning – likely due to increased androgens/nitric oxide.

Also, you have to consider there are other studies out there that says Tribulus doesn’t do anything… I’ll see if I can do more digging.

Herbs and Natural Supplements: An Evidence-Based Guide

books.google.ca/books?hl=en&lr=& … #PPA603,M1

Proerectile pharmacological effects of Tribulus terrestris extract on the rabbit corpus cavernosum.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10748960

INTRODUCTION: The objective of the present study was to investigate the effect of oral treatment of Tribulus terrestris (TT) extract on the isolated corpus cavernosal tissue of New Zealand white (NZW) rabbits and to determine the mechanism by which protodioscin (PTN), a constituent of the TT, exerts its pharmacological effects.

MATERIALS AND METHODS: Twenty-four NZW rabbits were randomly assigned to 4 experimental groups of 6 each. Group I served as control. Groups II to IV were treated with the extract at different dose levels, i.e. 2.5 mg/kg, 5 mg/kg and 10 mg/kg body weight, respectively. The TT extract was administered orally, once daily, for a period of 8 weeks. The rabbits were then sacrificed and their penile tissue isolated to evaluate the responses to both contracting and relaxing pharmacological agents and electrical field stimulation (EFS).

RESULTS: PTN on its own had no effect on the isolated corpus cavernosal strips. The relaxant responses to EFS, acetylcholine and nitroglycerin in noradrenaline precontracted tissues from treated groups showed an increase in relaxation of a concentration dependent nature compared to that of the tissues from control group. However, the contractile, anti-erectile response of corpus cavernosal tissue to noradrenaline and histamine showed no significant change between the treatment and the control groups.

CONCLUSIONS: The relaxant responses to acetylcholine, nitroglycerin and EFS by more than 10%, 24% and 10% respectively compared to their control values and the lack of such effect on the contractile response to noradrenaline and histamine indicate that PTN has a proerectile activity. The enhanced relaxant effect observed is probably due to increase in the release of nitric oxide from the endothelium and nitrergic nerve endings, which may account for its claims as an aphrodisiac. However, further study is needed to clarify the precise mechanism of its action.

Aphrodisiac properties of Tribulus Terrestris extract (Protodioscin) in normal and castrated rats

sciencedirect.com/science?_o … 95c44bdbb7

Tribulus terrestris (TT) has long been used in the traditional Chinese and Indian systems of medicine for the treatment of various ailments and is popularly claimed to improve sexual functions in man.

Sexual behaviour and intracavernous pressure (ICP) were studied in both normal and castrated rats to further understand the role of TT containing protodioscin (PTN) as an aphrodisiac.

Adult Sprague-Dawley rats were divided into five groups of 8 each that included distilled water treated (normal and castrated), testosterone treated (normal and castrated, 10 mg/kg body weight, subcutaneously, bi-weekly) and TT treated (castrated, 5 mg/kg body weight, orally once daily).

Decreases in body weight, prostate weight and ICP were observed among the castrated groups of rats compared to the intact group.

There was an overall reduction in the sexual behaviour parameters in the castrated groups of rats as reflected by decrease in mount and intromission frequencies (MF and IF) and increase in mount, intromission, ejaculation latencies (ML, IL, EL) as well as post-ejaculatory interval (PEI).

Compared to the castrated control, treatment of castrated rats (with either testosterone or TT extract) showed increase in prostate weight and ICP that were statistically significant.

There was also a mild to moderate improvement of the sexual behaviour parameters as evidenced by increase in MF and IF; decrease in ML, IL and PEI. These results were statistically significant.

It is concluded that TT extract appears to possess aphrodisiac activity probably due to androgen increasing property of TT (observed in our earlier study on primates).

The hormonal effects of Tribulus terrestris and its role in the management of male erectile dysfunction – an evaluation using primates, rabbit and rat
sciencedirect.com/science?_o … 09e1610d30

Hormonal effects of Tribulus terrestris (TT) were evaluated in primates, rabbit and rat to identify its usefulness in the management of erectile dysfunction (ED). TT extract was administered intravenously, as a bolus dose of 7.5, 15 and 30 mg/kg, in primates for acute study.

Rabbits and normal rats were treated with 2.5, 5 and 10 mg/kg of TT extract orally for 8 weeks, for chronic study. In addition, castrated rats were treated either with testosterone cypionate (10 mg/kg, subcutaneously; biweekly for 8 weeks) or TT orally (5 mg/kg daily for 8 weeks).

Blood samples were analyzed for testosterone (T), dihydrotestosterone (DHT) and dehydroepiandrosterone sulphate (DHEAS) levels using radioimmunoassay. In primates, the increases in T (52%), DHT (31%) and DHEAS (29%) at 7.5 mg/kg were statistically significant.

In rabbits, both T and DHT were increased compared to control, however, only the increases in DHT (by 30% and 32% at 5 and 10 mg/kg) were statistically significant. In castrated rats, increases in T levels by 51% and 25% were observed with T and TT extract respectively that were statistically significant.

TT increases some of the sex hormones, possibly due to the presence of protodioscin in the extract. TT may be useful in mild to moderate cases of ED.

The aphrodisiac herb Tribulus terrestris does not influence the androgen production in young men

sciencedirect.com/science?_o … 08592f54c4

Abstract
Objective:
The aim of the current study is to investigate the influence of Tribulus terrestris extract on androgen metabolism in young males.

Design and methods:
Twenty-one healthy young 20–36 years old men with body weight ranging from 60 to 125 kg were randomly separated into three groups—two experimental (each n = 7) and a control (placebo) one (n = 7). The experimental groups were named TT1 and TT2 and the subjects were assigned to consume 20 and 10 mg/kg body weight per day of Tribulus terrestris extract, respectively, separated into three daily intakes for 4 weeks. Testosterone, androstenedione and luteinizing hormone levels in the serum were measured 24 h before supplementation (clear probe), and at 24, 72, 240, 408 and 576 h from the beginning of the supplementation.

Results:
There was no significant difference between Tribulus terrestris supplemented groups and controls in the serum testosterone (TT1 (mean ± S.D.: 15.75 ± 1.75 nmol/l); TT2 (mean ± S.D.: 16.32 ± 1.57 nmol/l); controls (mean ± S.D.: 17.74 ± 1.09 nmol/l) (p > 0.05)), androstenedione (TT1 (mean ± S.D.: 1.927 ± 0.126 ng/ml); TT2 (mean ± S.D.: 2.026 ± 0.256 ng/ml); controls (mean ± S.D.: 1.952 ± 0.236 ng/ml) (p > 0.05)) or luteinizing hormone (TT1 (mean ± S.D.: 4.662 ± 0.274 U/l); TT2 (mean ± S.D.: 4.103 ± 0.869 U/l); controls (mean ± S.D.: 4.170 ± 0.406 U/l) (p > 0.05)) levels.

All results were within the normal range. The findings in the current study anticipate that Tribulus terrestris steroid saponins possess neither direct nor indirect androgen-increasing properties. The study will be extended in the clarifying the probable mode of action of Tribulus terrestris steroid saponins.

Short term impact of Tribulus terrestris intake on doping control analysis of endogenous steroids .

linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve … 380800011X

Tribulus terrestris is a nutritional supplement highly debated regarding its physiological and actual effects on the organism.

The main claimed effect is an increase of testosterone anabolic and androgenic action through the activation of endogenous testosterone production. Even if this biological pathway is not entirely proven, T. terrestris is regularly used by athletes.

Recently, the analysis of two female urine samples by GC/C/IRMS (gas chromatography/combustion/isotope-ratio-mass-spectrometry) conclusively revealed the administration of exogenous testosterone or its precursors, even if the testosterone glucuronide/epitestosterone glucuronide (T/E) ratio and steroid marker concentrations were below the cut-off values defined by World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA).

To argue against this adverse analytical finding, the athletes recognized having used T. terrestris in their diet. In order to test this hypothesis, two female volunteers ingested 500mg of T. terrestris, three times a day and for two consecutive days. All spot urines were collected during 48h after the first intake.

The 13C/12C ratio of ketosteroids was determined by GC/C/IRMS, the T/E ratio and DHEA concentrations were measured by GC/MS and LH concentrations by radioimmunoassay.

None of these parameters revealed a significant variation or increased above the WADA cut-off limits. Hence, the short-term treatment with T. terrestris showed no impact on the endogenous testosterone metabolism of the two subjects.

Ergogenic effects of Tribulus terrestris supplementation in men

johk.awf.katowice.pl/pdfy/nr … i%20in.pdf

The main objective of this research project was to evaluate the effects of Tribulus terrestris supplementation on body composition, muscularstrength and serum hormone profile in men.

The research material in-cluded 24 competitive basketball players (age- 26.2±3.4 years, bodyheight 191.2±6.7 cm, body mass- 91.5±9.8 kg) divided into 3 groups of 8 subjects each.

One group received a supplement called “Tribusteron” which contained only saponins from Tribulus terrestris; another was sup-plemented with “Acetosteron”, a product containing the same amount of saponins but fortified with zinc, magnesium and vitamin B6.

The third group of players received a placebo containing gelatin and was treated as a control group.

The experiment lasted for 4 weeks during which all sub-jects performed six basketball training sessions weekly and three specific strength workouts. Body composition (electrical impedance), muscular strength (hack squat and bench press) and serum hormone profile (tes-tosterone, estradiol and luteinizing hormone) were evaluated before and after the cessation of the experiment.

The results indicate that in young, physically active men serum testosterone concentrations are high and supplementation with Tribulus terrestris do not influence these values significantly. Supplements containing saponins do not stimulate signifi-cant changes in body mass and composition as well as muscular strength in well trained athletes.

Search a bit on gyno on tribulus, or products containg tribulus, there are plenty. On pretty much all bodybuilding site,s arround.

Studys showing increase in test are not to be found.

thinkmuscle.com/articles/hay … estris.htm

It increases estradiol very well i know first hand.
If you want to increase test its probably better, to take some sort of anabolic, there are ones that don,t aromatise wich likely are a better choice.

I think it does something for libido in a good way though, did it once never again for me, everyone reacts different i guess.

The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research: Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 348–353.

The Effect of Five Weeks of Tribulus terrestris Supplementation on Muscle Strength and Body Composition During Preseason Training in Elite Rugby League Players

Shane Rogerson,a, c Christopher J. Riches,a Carl Jennings,b Robert P. Weatherby,a Rudi A. Meir,a and Sonya M. Marshall-Gradisnika

aSchool of Exercise Science and Sport Management, Southern Cross University, Lismore, New South Wales, Australia

bCanberra Raiders Rugby League Club, Bruce, Australian Capital Territory, Australia

cAddress correspondence to Dr. Shane Rogerson, E-mail: srogerson10@bigpond.com

ABSTRACT

Rogerson, S., C.J. Riches, C. Jennings, R.P. Weatherby, R.A. Meir, and S.M. Marshall-Gradisnik. The effect of five weeks of Tribulus terrestris supplementation on muscle strength and body composition during preseason training in elite rugby league players. J. Strength Cond. Res. 21(2):348–353. 2007.— Tribulus terrestris is an herbal nutritional supplement that is promoted to produce large gains in strength and lean muscle mass in 5–28 days (15, 18). Although some manufacturers claim T. terrestris will not lead to a positive drug test, others have suggested that T. terrestris may increase the urinary testosteron/epitestosterone (T/E) ratio, which may place athletes at risk of a positive drug test. The purpose of the study was to determine the effect of T. terrestris on strength, fat free mass, and the urinary T/E ratio during 5 weeks of preseason training in elite rugby league players. Twenty-two Australian elite male rugby league players (mean * SD; age = 19.8 * 2.9 years; weight = 88.0 * 9.5 kg) were match-paired and randomly assigned in a double-blind manner to either a T. terrestris (n = 11) or placebo (n = 11) group. All subjects performed structured heavy resistance training as part of the club’s preseason preparations. A T. terrestris extract (450 mg·d−1) or placebo capsules were consumed once daily for 5 weeks. Muscular strength, body composition, and the urinary T/E ratio were monitored prior to and after supplementation. After 5 weeks of training, strength and fat free mass increased significantly without any between-group differences. No between-group differences were noted in the urinary T/E ratio.

It was concluded that T. terrestris did not produce the large gains in strength or lean muscle mass that many manufacturers claim can be experienced within 5–28 days. Furthermore, T. terrestris did not alter the urinary T/E ratio and would not place an athlete at risk of testing positive based on the World Anti-Doping Agency’s urinary T/E ratio limit of 4:1.

As you are now, I once was.
As I am now, you’ll never be
©3XL ®2000

I’ve noticed nothing at all when using this

Free Serum Testosterone Level in Male Rats Treated with Tribulus Alatus Extracts

scielo.br/pdf/ibju/v33n4/v33n4a15.pdf
Free Serum Testosterone Level in Male Rats Treated with Tribulus.pdf (28.6 KB)

The hormonal effects of Tribulus terrestris and its role in the management of male erectile dysfunction – an evaluation using primates, rabbit and rat

Abstract:

"Hormonal effects of Tribulus terrestris (TT) were evaluated in primates, rabbit and rat to identify its usefulness in the management of erectile dysfunction (ED).

TT extract was administered intravenously, as a bolus dose of 7.5, 15 and 30 mg/kg, in primates for acute study. Rabbits and normal rats were treated with 2.5, 5 and 10 mg/kg of TT extract orally for 8 weeks, for chronic study.

In addition, castrated rats were treated either with testosterone cypionate (10 mg/kg, subcutaneously; biweekly for 8 weeks) or TT orally (5 mg/kg daily for 8 weeks). Blood samples were analyzed for testosterone (T), dihydrotestosterone (DHT) and dehydroepiandrosterone sulphate (DHEAS) levels using radioimmunoassay.

In primates, the increases in T (52%), DHT (31%) and DHEAS (29%) at 7.5 mg/kg were statistically significant. In rabbits, both T and DHT were increased compared to control, however, only the increases in DHT (by 30% and 32% at 5 and 10 mg/kg) were statistically significant. In castrated rats, increases in T levels by 51% and 25% were observed with T and TT extract respectively that were statistically significant.

TT increases some of the sex hormones, possibly due to the presence of protodioscin in the extract. TT may be useful in mild to moderate cases
of ED
."
Hormonal effects of Tribulus and its role in management of male erectile dysfunction.pdf (788 KB)

I noticed nothing when I used this in 2003.

JN

I really want to give this herb a go but I already got gynecomastia due to finasteride so I’m gonna approach this with extra caution.

Anyone else tried tribulus?

Any known side effects?

I’ve used this for a few months. Took a while to notice anything, but I am sure it has increased the number of morning erections and improved libido.

I think this supplement can really vary in quality between brands, so it’s probably worth trying some different types.

Only side effect has been more body hair on my chest and arms.

confirmed:

morningwood, more libido, more load

confirmed:

bad wood

don’t know if it’s from too much estradiol, i also came quicker on this supplement probably due to impacting the prostate somehow

use:
as a lh stimulant, 5 days on 2 days off

combine with:
tongkat ali for more free test, also cycle

test:
perhaps if it increases estradiol too much (read up study on tribestan) use dim along with it, or calcium d glucarate or chrysin… there are combined products, read a lot good stuff about nitro t3

anyone can test drive this?

bad wood?

Very interesting read on one of the hairloss forums. Look at his testoterone increase!! Has anyone tried this specific supp?

hairlosshelp.com/forums/mess … adid=63742

Don’t think it was the tribulus

ergo-log.com/tribnoeffect.html

And there will be multiple others links which will tell you that Trib does raise Testo levels, but only in men who are deficient to start with. Thus its not popular in the BB world, but it does seem to work for Hypogondal folks.

Don’t think I’ve ever seen a study done on male people showing any appreciable change in testosterone.
There are lots of other products that DO work, so why waste your time with this stuff?

Ive tried Vitrix which is made from tribuls… DIDNT notice anything regarding sex drive improvement… It did boost my T levels but also made my hair fall and oily skin… Not worth the money ZMA better but still doesnt do miracles