Took Fin, Crashed, Became Normal and Healthy Again

Welcome to our community. Please fill in the following template as a way of introducing yourself, and helping others to understand your background and situation.

Where are you from (country)?
United States of Michigan

How did you find this forum (Google search – if so, what search terms? Via link from a forum or website – if so, what page? Other?)
Found it back in like 2014, when I took fin.

What is your current age, height, weight?
27, 6’2, 200lbs

What specific drug did you use (finasteride, dutasteride, saw palmetto, isotretinoin/Accutane, fluoxetine, sertraline, citalopram, leuprorelin, etc…)?
Finasteride

What dose did you take (eg. 1 mg/day, 1 mg every other day etc.)?
I think I switched between .5-1mg.

What condition was being treated with the drug?
Balding. It wasn’t even that bad and still isn’t.

For how long did you take the drug (weeks/months/years)?
If I remember correctly, it was about 2-3 months.

How old were you, and WHEN (date) did you start the drug?
If I remember correctly, around 22-23. So Fall of 2014.

How old were you when you quit, and WHEN (date) did you quit?
22-23. Quit in the Winter of 2014.

How did you quit (cold turkey or taper off)?
Cold turkey I believe.

How long into your usage did you notice the onset of side effects?
I noticed after a couple weeks a loss in libido. Didn’t think much of it and kept on taking it. Got to the point where I didn’t want to take it for the rest of my life, so I quit and maybe a day or two later the “post-finasteride syndrome” kicked in.

What side effects did you experience that have yet to resolve since discontinuation?
Honestly, if memory serves me correctly, then I really felt like I had almost every symptom. I have never been SERIOUSLY suiciadel (spelling sorry). But once PFS kicked in, I really actually thought about killing myself. I remember a distinct thought being, “I can’t live like this, and if it doesn’t stop I’m going to kill myself in two weeks.”

Check the boxes that apply. You can save your post first, then interactively check/uncheck the boxes by clicking on them. If your symptoms change, please update your list.

Sexual
[ x] Loss of Libido / Sex Drive
[ x] Erectile Dysfunction
[ ] Complete Impotence
[x ] Loss of Morning Erections
[ x] Loss of Spontaneous Erections
[x ] Loss of Nocturnal Erections
[ ] Watery Ejaculate (don’t remember)
[ ] Reduced Ejaculate (don’t remember)
[x ] Inability or Difficulty to Ejaculate / Orgasm
[ ] Reduced Sperm Count / Motility

Mental
[ x] Emotional Blunting / Emotionally Flat
[x ] Difficulty Focusing / Concentrating
[x ] Confusion
[x ] Memory Loss / Forgetfulness
[x ] Stumbling over Words / Losing Train of Thought
[x ] Slurring of Speech
[xxx ] Lack of Motivation / Feeling Passive / Complacency
[ xx] Extreme Anxiety / Panic Attacks
[ xxxxxx] Severe Depression / Melancholy
[ xxxxxx] Suicidal Thoughts

Physical
[x ] Penile Tissue Changes (narrowing, shrinkage, wrinkled)
[ ] Penis curvature / rotation on axis
[ ] Testicular Pain
[ x] Testicular Shrinkage / Loss of Fullness
[x ] Genital numbness / sensitivity decrease
[ ] Weight Gain
[ ] Gynecomastia (male breasts)
[x ] Muscle Wastage
[ x] Muscle Weakness
[ ] Joint Pain
[ x] Dry / Dark Circles under eyes (possibly but don’t remember)

Misc
[ ] Prostate pain
[ x] Persistent Fatigue / Exhaustion
[ ] Stomach Pains / Digestion Problems
[x ] Constipation / “Poo Pellets”
[ ] Vision - Acuity Decrease / Blurriness
[ ] Tinnitus (ringing or high pitched sound in ears)
[ ] Hearing loss
[ ] Increased hair loss
[ ] Frequent urination
[ ] Lowered body temperature

[x ] Other (please explain) Since this was a few years ago, I’m looking at a lot of these symptoms and trying to remember if I had them. I’m sure I missed a few, but marked the ones I’m certain of.

What (if any) treatments have you undertaken to recover from your side effects since discontinuation of the drug?
I had a serious regimen once PFS kicked in. Ate healthy, exercised, stopped drinking caffeine, and stopped masturbating.

If you have pre or post-drug blood tests, what hormonal changes have you encountered since discontinuing the drug (please post your test results in the “Blood Tests” section and link to them in your post)? N/A

Anything not listed in the above questions you’d like to share about your experience?
Yes, I really recommend exercise, as it seemed to work for me. Once I really started to consider suicide, I realized I needed to get out and at least give life one more shot. I tried going back to the gym. I remember specifically doing heavy deadlifts, and I felt a little better after that. I’m sure the last thing you want to do is go out in public and maybe you don’t even have a gym to go to. But at least try with some push ups, sit ups, or bodyweight squats. Just try to break a sweat. ANYTHING to keep your mind off of suicidal thoughts.

Secondly, my PFS symptoms were aggravated after masturbation. Stopped jerking off. Most of you probably don’t even have a desire to, so this should come pretty naturally. But seriously, even if you “feel” like you’re getting better, don’t jerk off. Eventually, for me, I did get to a point where I could cum and not feel PFS settling back in. Seriously though, take a long break from it.

Thirdly, I was in college when all this happened. I stopped going to classes for like a week and just focused on getting better. I stopped thinking about what I had to get done and just focused on my health. Any stress felt 10x more stressful when going through PFS. Avoid stress, and take a break from everything.

I don’t recall what my relationship to alcohol was, but I think I stopped drinking during this period as well. AND now that I’m thinking about it, the hangovers brought on intense PFS. Like I would have 2-3 beers and would be insanely hungover and PFS. I remember researching liver issues after taking Fin so ya, actually alcohol was pretty bad for me during this recovery.

Again, this was all about 6 years ago but I felt compelled to share my story with you all. Theres probably some things I’m forgetting, but I will NEVER forget the symptoms of PFS and how scary it was. For about a year after quitting fin, I remember having panic attacks after highly stressful periods. Like if I had a big project due and I got too stressed, PFS came back. Really be careful about stressing yourself during your recovery.

Tell us your story, in your own words, about your usage and side effects experienced while on/off the drug.

Took fin for about 3 months. Took .5-1 mg. Started loosing libido and thought it wasn’t worth my sex drive to keep my hair. After all, would I rather keep my hair and not want sex or lose my hair and have sex? Or maybe life isn’t all about sex…but I digress… Anyway, I stop taking fin. PFS kicks in. I’m petrified of the thought of leaving my dorm room to go class. I try jerking off to be less stressed. I jerk off. I become even more stressed. I stop eating. I stop having any desire to do anything. I’m literally terrified. I became the feeling of fear. Fear became me. I’m thinking , “I’m going to have to move-in with my parents because I can no longer care for myself because I’m so depressed and suicidal.” Might as well move me into a nursing home.

Anyway, decided to give life one last shot and tried to get back into the rhythm I once had. Then I did the things described in the above question and that’s my story!

At this point in my life I’m also a born again Christian and do believe God was helping me through this. I wasn’t a Christian when all this PFS was setting in, but I would try calling on the name of Jesus if you’re going through suicidal thoughts or any severe fear or depression. If you’ve tried everything else that I’ve mentioned, then give this a try too, He wants to help.

Lastly, I’m not a doctor and everything I stated was my own personal experience. Please reach out to me and I’ll try my best to respond timely. I really do feel as though I’ve made a full recovery and life is normal again. But like I said, even after this happened to me 6 years ago, it was traumatic enough to bring me back to this forum to recant my story. Seriously, 6 years later and I STILL can’t believe how seriously I ACTUALLY considered killing myself. Never have I had thoughts like that. But PFS is no joke.

8 Likes

How long didn’t you masturbate?

Did you recovered your low semen volume (ejaculation) like to pre-pfs levels? Did you have erect penis size loss? If so, is it came back to normal 100%? Any details would be good.

If I remember correctly, I think probably about 2-3 weeks. Before fin, I was like a jerk off factory and I always exceeded quota. But during recovery, jerking off was a every 2-3 week thing.

EDIT: And if I had to go through recovery again, I would probably abstain for like 2-3 months.

1 Like

Hey Cooper, you know, I can’t recall the volume of semen unfortunately. That was one thing I didn’t take note of when I was going through recovery. However, I do remember having lossed some penis size. When I would jerk off, it would be like a whole new penis I was jerking off cause it was half flaccid and a different color.

It did end up coming back to its normal erected self. Morning wood and all that stuff. But when I would masturbate during PFS, its like it would shrivel up again and be like a limp appendage. From my experience, the less I masturbated the better it got.

As of now, I would say my semen levels are normal and as far as I can remember, I don’t think they were ever heavily affected.

1 Like

Oh very happy to hear that. Just to correct this, you did experience size loss and its all normal now after 6 years of recovery period? I get morning woods rarely too, but when i get them they feel “loose” at the bottom and kinda feels like my penis wants to get more bigger but there isn’t enough bloodflow there, so it feels like very “tight”, “squuezed like” erection. Also the girth is lesser. I had rockhard yet “soft felt” morning woods before PFS. If these things all makes sense… also my orgasms feels number… no big excitement or pleasure… my pc muscles (muscles that gives that great orgasm feeling) feel weak.

So i wonder if you experienced things like that too, and is it came back to fully normal again?

I’m glad you recovered. Congratulations and thank you for sharing this.

Did you have severe ED (like being impossible to keep or mantain it up), hourglass shape and a “dull ache” of the penis?

1 Like

Hey Cooper, the flaccid size of my penis seemed smaller during PFS. When I’m currently flaccid in my normal state, it feels like blood is not rushing into my penis, unless I’m erected. But in my PFS experience, it felt like blood was sucked out/restricted to my flaccid penis, thus making it smaller and more shriveled. I do remember a certain numbness as well. And orgasms were also not very exciting. Jerking off felt like a choir.

So from what you’re describing I think we had some similarities in this area of PFS. However, I would say my penis “came online” after about 2 months of recovery. My recovery compared to some of the testimonies here seemed somewhat quick. 2 month of recovery with pretty consistent improvements.

1 Like

Hey Dae1,
Yes, keeping it up was quite difficult. I didn’t attempt to have sex during the recovery, but I did try jerking off.

During the beginning of my recovery, I tried to jerk off daily to “get back to normal” and it just made things worse. Once I really started slowing down masturbation, I noticed improvements. BUT, I don’t think not masturbating was the ONLY factor in recovery, BUT I do think it helped.

I don’t recall any difference in shape or any pain in my groin area.

Oh i read it wrong that part then. So you took fin for months and then recovered in 2 months and you are healthy since. And all pre-pfs levels orgasms and libido is back… nice to hear that but i guess you were in the lucky majority who can recover with time in short periods. Im stuck in this state for 6 years now :confused: and im fuc*ing 21.

What sort of side effects are you going through? Is it mainly penis stuff? Any mental issues?

Luckily im a very mild case, getting worse each year though. My main problem was just low semen volume at the beginning. But as years passed i have these other issues i talked about. Also hourglass shape before taking a piss and a dent under penis when erecting. Nothing else. But it is strange, if my DHT system is damaged, why did i only get low semen volume at first? Strange? I should have lost my libido and erections too… but i don’t recall any problem with my erections after my mini crash. But i do have other things now… i get erect slower and they feel “loose”. Orgasms are shit and libido is not good. Im a very obsessive person, i should have realized them if i experienced them at the beginning… just my semen was coming out less. Then i got worse slowly and i don’t remember how sex should feel anymore… its the saddest thing in my life, that i don’t remember how it feels to be healthy… thanks man.

Have you tried limiting masturbation? Whats your current schedule like?

1 Like

Hey mate did you have any sleep issues from fin that improved with your recovery?

WHat about penile sensitivity, did that improve?

Hey whathaveidone4669 (great name, totally had the same thoughts),
Ya I do recall having troubles with sleep during recovery. I always felt drowsy but I could never stay asleep. Its almost like every time I was about to hit REM sleep, I would wake up. But my sleep improved pretty quickly from what I remember. Are you having troubles with sleep?

Hey Burito101,
Ya the numbness started to go away after time. I think this improved pretty quickly too, as I don’t remember it being an issue.

Hey oglog691,

I am going through exactly the same symptoms as yours. Were the following the only things which helped in your recovery?

1. reduced masturbation
  2. healthy diet
  3. exercising

Hi, I stopped taking fin about 3 weeks ago, and before that I took fin for about 7 months. I stopped taking it because of I suddenly fell an anxiety attack which lasted for a few days and brain fog that followed. I still have persistent brain fog and anxiety, although the anxiety has gotten better. How long did it take you to get better?

hey Charvikaur99,
I’m sorry to hear you’re going through this. I know its hard but don’t lose focus on regaining your strength. Through my experience, here’s what helped the most:

1. Reduced masturbation. Don’t try to masturbate just to see if you still can. Just leave it alone for now. I pictured it as a fuel tank, and fin completely depleted my sexual fuel tank. Allow some time for your tank to fill, don’t keep emptying it.
  2. Exercising (I specifically do weight training, 8-12 reps, 3-5 sets, things like bench press, dead lifts, squats, pull ups, etc.) Maybe try going for a jog. Get sweating.
  3. Healthy diet, but I always ate pretty healthy to begin with.
  4. Almost no alcohol during recovery. Alcohol would ALWAYS make things worse for me. The only time I had it (if I’m remembering correctly) was to try and chill and it worked while I got buzzed but the next day the hangover brought anxiety.
  5. Reduced stress. This one might be underrated. I stopped going to class for a week and didn’t worry about any assignments. Didn’t plan anything or try to be anywhere. Just focused on getting better. Watching movies, working out, maybe video games. Eating healthy. Honestly, being on this forum didn’t help after a certain point. I would start reading some real horror stories and get even more anxious. I recommend finding some solutions from other guys then getting off of the forum if it makes you anxious or worried.

I don’t recall if I did this or not, but maybe lay off of caffeine for a little too.

1 Like