Taking finasteride again

I’ve read some anecdotal reports about people trying finasteride again after crashing. I wondered if there’s a consensus about how it makes people feel. I’ve read about some people feeling back to normal, at least for a while. I wouldn’t consider taking again but it seems interesting that taking it again could have a positive effect.

Anybody have any experience with this?

Don’t take it dude…
It’s poison

1 Like

Who knows? I have wondered this myself. If I really took the leap, I would try a “less strong” version of propecia, if there is truly such a thing. Something like saw palmetto. No experience myself though.

I’ve thought about this as well…but let’s say it works…how would you come off the Propecia so the cure sticks? Otherwise you would crash again…

1 Like

Well I’ve seen some mention about this before but can’t seem to locate it on the forum. Hopefully, some news on research comes out soon so we have a better idea of how to attack this.

Bluecloud tried it with negative results. Its in his thread.

1 Like

not completely true.

answer of bluecloud to my pm about taking finasteride again. Personally I wouldn’t take it myself but that is valuable information and not to be overlooked. finasteride is not the poison, the hormonal alteration was. so even if it was temporary and not a solution on the long term it is very important to have this in mind and I thank bluecloud for having the guts to do it.

“Yes. It was an amazing recovery that set in about 12 hour after taking the finasteride. I also improved a LOT when I took Dutasteride, too. Which, is far more powerful than finasteride.”

I also talked to someone who temporary felt better after taking saw palmetto.

Taking finasteride again is like playing with fire.

1 Like

The fact that people have seen substantial recoveries from taking finasteride again seems like an incredibly important clue in all of this. Albeit I have no idea what the clue is pointing too…

I’d be interested to hear of any more accounts of people taking finasteride or saw palmetto again after crashing.

2 Likes

anyone thinking of taking finisteride again after what it has done to them must need putting in a straight jacket imo,I crashed while taking the drug and so have others…

1 Like

Substantial recoveries only while they’re on it or even after they quit again?

I’m not sure. I’ve obviously only read a few anecdotal reports on here about it. It could turn out to be nothing but if it does elicit such a response, that would seem pretty important on the investigation front.

Also, just because people “crashed” while still on the drug doesn’t stop the possibility of taking it again having positive results any less important. We’re not sure what is going on nor even that everyone’s problems lie in the same root cause.

In my case I only had slight side effects while taking finasteride, and they seemed to subside after a few months of use. After a few years of dosing, I even began taking dutasteride and had no sides on the drug. Kind of the opposite really - my sex drive was insane despite my balls shrinking down and aching.

I only decided to quit finasteride/dutasteride after 5 years or so because I decided I didn’t want to be dependent on the drug for the remainder of my life. I quit cold turkey in 2010 and after a few weeks, I crashed hard. Severe anxiety, disorientation, lethargy, bouts of depression, and severe erectile dysfunction. Oddly enough, the one time I felt real relief from all of these symptoms was when I randomly decided to take finasteride for two weeks straight approximately a year after my crash. My upbeat personality returned and I was able to have sex several times in a row.

Nonetheless, I don’t think it’s an appropriate band-aid and I’m hopeful that science can fix whatever finasteride broke.

2 Likes

I must admit I’ve been tempted to go back on the poison because of my ridiculous hair loss since stopping. If I’m going to be impotent and retarded forever I might as well be impotent and retarded with hair, right? But I know that’s a bad idea and would only make things way worse. Ah well.

On a related note, I do remember reading a post on here by a dude that quit Fin and seemed to be crashing or heading toward it. He had searing testicle pain and some other stuff going on. He immediately went back on and tapered off instead of quitting cold turkey and was fine after that.

I can’t advise you what to do but I can tell you my experience with this. I actually stayed on fin for months after my crash, trying to wean off it slowly. I feared that I’d get even worse if I didn’t. I then ran out of it during a hurricane and all the stores were closed so I was off it for a bunch of days (can’t remember how many). Once the storm passed I got a refill and started up again. About 8 hours after that re-start dose I felt more depressed and weak than I ever have in my life. That’s when I knew there was no going back. It’s been about 8 months off with lots of ups and downs, but I am certainly doing way better than that day.

1 Like

I tried Rogain (2 doses) a few weeks ago. I immediately felt dizzy and tired and was super thirsty. Like I was drinking a bottle of water every 45 minutes and still thirsty. So I stopped.

I thought I could try it because I had never heard of Rogain and PFS like symptoms. But then I looked into it more and realized there are hundreds of cases. askapatient.com/viewrating.a … FOR+MEN%29

1 Like

Bluecloud displayed increasingly bizarre behavior on this board during that experiment. After he admitted it was a mistake. Also, he’s making an assumption about fin not being “the poison”, but blames “hormonal alteration”. This is logically inaccurate, as in the best case fin is the cause of the hormone alteration (assuming no further damage).

Unfortunately he has a short memory. He remembers the short-lived “amazing recovery” but forgot the erratic behavior and months it set him back. During this time he also called himself, and I paraphrase because I’m not looking for the quote, “the hero of the post-finasteride world”. Read his posts during and after the time he took it.

Also, it wasn’t a temporary solution. It was a short-term benefit for a high long-term cost.

Bluecloud never said anything like this.

You probably missed it because he deleted his post history, consequently forcing mew to remove the edit post feature.

[url]propeciahelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5501

Regardless, in the thread he said he wouldn’t take fin again.

1 Like

I wanted to beng attention to this topic once again after some experience I’ve had with corticosteroids. I’m currently half way through my second medrol pack (which is a low dose methylprednisilone 6-day taper). I have to say I’ve been really happy with the results. Normally, throughout the day I have pretty painful parasthesia/numbness, burning, and aching in my groin. It coincides with an increase in the hard flaccid symptoms I have too. While taking the medrol pack, all the “nerve pain” symptoms I just mentioned disappear. I’ve also noticed a slightly less effective response from taking Claritin. I know the idea of this being an autoimmune disorder is controversial but after my experiences with the corticosteroids, it’s hard to get behind any other theory.

I wondered if anyone else has had experience with corticosteroids or antihistamines, especially in relation to numbness/pain in their groin. Does anyone who crashed not have this type of nerve pain or something resembling what I’ve described?