A carnivore diet is 0 carbs. A ketogenic diet is 70% calories from fat.
If you eat more than 4% calories from carbs, you’ll get kicked out of ketosis. Hell, I eat 8 gr of carbs and I’m out for at least 4 hours… So what’s to understand is that the body does not produce ketones (BHB) in the presence of insulin, which you produce when eating carbs. You need ultra low to zero insulin to produce ketones.
As for overeating proteins, whenever you do eat proteins, your body produces mTOR which ages your body. I try to eat protein just once a day and the rest of the time, I’ll just eat fat.
By the way, 1gr of protein or 1gr carbs will give you 4 calories. 1gr of fat will give you 9. So when you need 1900 calories a day, It’s easier to get them from fat.
Read the articles on the top post here: Tricks to repair the Epigenome
Beside, I do know the theory behind all this but anyone can make theories about anything. I’m judging from the results others and I get. Results are in the body, theories are in the mind. Most of my symptoms disappeared after a few days on the diet. It’s anecdotal but it can hardly be a coincidence.
Plants fight predators by producing chemicals that makes them harder to digest. Lots of people here have leaky guts, allergies, inflammation etc… By not eating plants, you eliminate all allergies and inflammation due to them. Also, plants energy mainly consist of carbs, so no ketosis there. Meat have lots of nutrients, compare !
Because the diet I’m doing is both carnivore and ketogenic, I take vitamin and mineral supplements.
But I’m noticing a skin reaction to the coconut milk I put in my coffee. When you eat mostly animal fat and meat and so little plants, it’s easy to notice what plant causes allergies.
As a trick to all, the brain need 30gr of carbs a day which you either get from carbs or from transforming 60gr of protein into 30gr of glucose. I find that if I eat close to 20gr of carbs a day, I don’t get any carbs cravings and if I’m purely 0 carbs, I get cravings a lot and dream about carbs.
Eating almost 20gr of carbs means 40 gr of protein that won’t be converted to glucose. If you try zero carbs, you need at least 145gr of proteins to keep you muscle mass, with the ketogenic requirement of 20gr of carbs, you can lower protein intake to the suggested ketogenic 130 gr. You need a minimum of 85gr of protein + filling your brain glucose requirement either with carbs or protein to not lose muscles.
Because we are eating mostly fat meat, you need to eat more to get that 130gr. Also you can overshoot. But the more meat you eat, the less fat you’ll eat and the less BHB you’ll produce.
BHB and NAD+ are key to this diet as it will make all the tricks work better. But without the tricks, you won’t produce sirtuin proteins and those are the ones that repair the epigenome.
The tricks are:
- Exercise (It also creates more muscle mass and more androgen receptors: weight lifting, legs exercise)
- low carbs or almost zero carbs or zero carbs
- Higher fat to replace the energy deficit from cutting carbs.
- Fasting 1-3 days. Some do more
- Calorie deficit for a period of time, like from a few days to a week or two. Repeat periodically
- Intermittent fasting: eating only in a window of 1-6 hours. Outside this window, only water.
- Carnivore / ketogenic diet helps with the 5 points above and has extra benefits
- Cold shower and/or hot saunas
- Exercise while glycogen deficient. (at the end of a fast or while being in ketosis)
- Get out of breath exercise (cardio until you’re out of breath)
- Take melatonin as a food supplement
- Maintain a strict schedule: eat always at the same time and sleep at the same time.
- Take NAD+ boosting supplements like Nicotinamide MonoNucleotide (NMN) and NAD+ boosting plants extracts