Still Having Slurred Speech

Welcome to our community. Please fill in the following template as a way of introducing yourself, and helping others to understand your background and situation.

Where are you from (country)? USA

How did you find this forum (Google search – if so, what search terms? Via link from a forum or website – if so, what page? Other?) Google

What is your current age, height, weight? 28 years old. 5 Foot, 11 inches

What specific drug did you use (finasteride, dutasteride, saw palmetto, isotretinoin/Accutane, fluoxetine, sertraline, citalopram, leuprorelin, etc…)? Finasteride

What dose did you take (eg. 1 mg/day, 1 mg every other day etc.)? 1 mg 3X a week

What condition was being treated with the drug? Hair loss

For how long did you take the drug (weeks/months/years)? 14 months, 21 days.

Date when you started the drug? 01/18/2021

Date when you quit the drug? 04/08/2022

Age when you quit? 28

How did you quit (cold turkey or taper off)? Cold turkey

How long into your usage did you notice the onset of side effects? Approximately 4 months. I didn’t connect it to Finasteride until recently.

What side effects did you experience that have yet to resolve since discontinuation? Slurred speech, brain fog, anhedonia.

Check the boxes that apply. You can save your post first, then interactively check/uncheck the boxes by clicking on them. If your symptoms change, please update your list.

Sexual
[ ] Loss of Libido / Sex Drive
[ ] Erectile Dysfunction
[ ] Complete Impotence
[ ] Loss of Morning Erections
[ ] Loss of Spontaneous Erections
[ ] Loss of Nocturnal Erections
[ ] Watery Ejaculate
[ ] Reduced Ejaculate
[ ] Inability or Difficulty to Ejaculate / Orgasm
[ ] Reduced Sperm Count / Motility

Mental
[X] Emotional Blunting / Emotionally Flat
[X] Difficulty Focusing / Concentrating
[X] Confusion
[X] Memory Loss / Forgetfulness
[X] Stumbling over Words / Losing Train of Thought
[X] Slurring of Speech
[X] Lack of Motivation / Feeling Passive / Complacency
[X] Extreme Anxiety / Panic Attacks
[X] Severe Depression / Melancholy
[X] Suicidal Thoughts

Physical
[ ] Penile Tissue Changes (narrowing, shrinkage, wrinkled)
[ ] Penis curvature / rotation on axis
[ ] Testicular Pain
[ ] Testicular Shrinkage / Loss of Fullness
[ ] Genital numbness / sensitivity decrease
[ ] Weight Gain
[ ] Gynecomastia (male breasts)
[ ] Muscle Wastage
[ ] Muscle Weakness
[ ] Joint Pain
[ ] Dry / Dark Circles under eyes

Misc
[ ] Prostate pain
[ ] Persistent Fatigue / Exhaustion
[ ] Stomach Pains / Digestion Problems
[ ] Constipation / “Poo Pellets”
[ ] Vision - Acuity Decrease / Blurriness
[ ] Tinnitus (ringing or high pitched sound in ears)
[ ] Hearing loss
[ ] Increased hair loss
[ ] Frequent urination
[ ] Lowered body temperature

[ ] Other (please explain)

What (if any) treatments have you undertaken to recover from your side effects since discontinuation of the drug? Whole foods, gluten free diet. Variety of different supplements.

If you have pre or post-drug blood tests, what hormonal changes have you encountered since discontinuing the drug (please post your test results in the “Blood Tests” section and link to them in your post)? Was within the normal limits of everything with blood work.

Anything not listed in the above questions you’d like to share about your experience?

Tell us your story, in your own words, about your usage and side effects experienced while on/off the drug.

Hi, everyone. Please bare with me here because this all ties into what may be Finasteride side effects. I really need some support as I’m just feeling crushed right now by all of this (as I know we all are) and I’m not sure if there’s hope for recovery.

I’ve been searching for a cause/solution for these issues for a year now and to no avail. I’ve been dealing with severe neurological symptoms for about a little over a year now - the two most impactful ones are severe brained fog and slurred speech. I was recently diagnosed by an SLP with dysarthria, which confirms what I’ve experienced for a while now.

Just to give a little back story: I haven’t sustained any head injuries. I’m 28 years old and healthy. I workout regularly, eat a Whole Foods, gluten free diet, meditate, and just generally take care of myself. I contracted COVID-19 in May 2020 and was virtually asymptomatic. I did my two weeks of quarantine and didn’t think twice about it. However, I began developing long COVID symptoms about 8 weeks post viral infection that resulted in brain fog and speech issues. I’m in a management role and do a lot of presentations/public speaking, and so these symptoms were quite obvious when my words began coming out a little slurred and I was often losing track of my thoughts. It was frustrating, but bearable. Fast forward to around March of 2021 and the symptoms became exacerbated (almost a year post infection). What started as a few stumbles at work worked up into a full blown speech issue that I began having in my personal life. I honestly attributed it to just anxiety in the beginning, but this was getting bad.

I now need to intensely focus on not slurring and it makes having a natural conversation extremely difficult. I can no longer speak fast and need to deliberately speak slowly to make sure my words come out clear; otherwise they’re jumbled, cluttered and slurred. It’s as if I’m speaking with marbles in my mouth. My mouth literally feels numb. I’ve also intermittently had issues with drooling over the past year.

I went to a neurologist around August 2021 (a little over a year post infection) and over the course of several months had two MRIs, an MRA, an EEG, and an EMG; all of which came back clear. I got the impression that the doctors thought I was making it up because my slurred speech wasn’t overly obvious, but I know how much effort I need to put into speak and it’s not natural anymore. It has been getting worse. I began working with a speech language pathologist (SLP) recently who has diagnosed me with dysarthria. His immediate concern was something neurodegenerative like ALS or MS. I went back to my neurologist for a follow up EMG about two weeks ago just to be sure and it came back clear as before. I’m also working with a homeopathic doctor who did a genetic test and blood work. The blood work came back clear and the genetic test gave me some good personal insight, but there was nothing overly concerning.

This is where Finasteride comes into play. THE ONLY thing that was different around the time all this started was that I began taking Finasteride in late January 2021. My symptoms became really bad that March. Now I know I’ve thrown in a lot of COVID speculation here and I do believe it’s a contributing factor, but I am almost 100% certain most of this is caused by Finasteride.

I literally think about this every day and it just popped in my mind to google “Finasteride and slurred speech” about two weeks ago. After reading through some of the neurological issues people are experiencing, it seems to make sense. I can’t think of what else it could be unless future neurological exams do find something more obvious. I’ve done all the tests I can. I immediately came off the drug after taking three times a week for the past 15 months.

A few keys points (and some venting):

• My mouth feels numb around the jaw and lips constantly. It seems to be better first thing in the morning and gets worse throughout the day.
  • The cold really exacerbates it.
  • I made sure to explicitly put that I was taking Finasteride on ALL of my medical documentation and not once did any doctors suspect this could be causing the symptoms. It’s infuriating as it’s clear most doctors don’t understand the effects of this stuff. As a matter of fact, the one neurologist said he had been taking it for years and had amazing results.

Questions:

1. Has anyone experienced this symptom on Finasteride? If so, did you recover and approximately how long did it take?
  2. Are there any immediate recommendations to assist with potential recovery? I am really focusing on diet right now along with meditation.

This seems like a very supportive community and I wish everyone the best in recovering from this bullshit.

I apologize if this comes off as more speculatory, but I really believe Finasteride is behind these symptoms.

3 Likes

Very sorry to hear that you’ve been going through this. Slurred speech can definitely be attributed to pfs. I’ve seen lots of people say that they suffer from it. As far as recovery goes it’s hard to really recommend anything but I’m sure meditation/diet can’t hurt you.

2 Likes

I had great difficulty with my speech, forgetting words and having to speak slower to make sure I didn’t misspeak. Fortunately, this has cleared up for the most part and my speech has returned to normal as far as I can tell. It took a good few months though.

Given that it’s only 12 days since you quit, you are still very early in the journey. Try and keep up your healthy living, and do your best to minimise stress as much as you can. Hopefully you’ll be back to normal over the next weeks/months.

Thank you for the reply. I figured that since my issues are primarily neurological, taking care of the brain through dieting, exercise and meditation are the best things I can do; that and time.

Thank you for the reply. That’s so great to hear that it cleared up for you. Mine seems to be excessively bad and causes stuttering/slurring. It’s beyond frustrating that no doctors even entertained the idea that this medication could cause this.

I appreciate your positivity. I know it’s early, and I hear stories about people recovering years later. While I know nothing’s guaranteed, I’m going to do my best maintain hope. This is a great support forum and thank you again to you and anyone else that responds.

Yeah as others have previously mentioned, the mental sides effects take way less time to improve/cure, they should provably get significantly better in the upcoming months, and if they don’t, maybe it’s not pfs at all (or it just fucked you very hard).
In my experience, I don’t stutter as much now after 2 months from quitting, I still have trouble coming up with words and specially reading, but certainly I can handle average conversations pretty normally now, unlike before.
Also:

What in the heck? In what world do you live man? Since when homeopatic doctors do all that? That’s even more useful that most real doctors.

Thanks for the reply. I cannot recommend enough the importance of seeking out a good homeopathic doctor to everyone on this forum. I went to three neurologists before her and she’s the only one that took me seriously and said her goal is to complete cure me of my speech/cognitive issues through diet, exercise, meditation and stimulation of the vagus nerve. Yep, it cost extra, but she did blood work and a genetics test and went over ALL the information from both over the course of about two hours… it was VERY thorough. She currently has me on a gluten free, Whole Foods, ketogenic diet. The list of supplements she has me taking as well is (if anyone’s curious):

1. B Supreme
  2. Complete Mineral Complex
  3. ProOmega 2000
  4. Vitamin D3 + K2 Drops
  5. Heart and Soil: Mood, Memory and Brain
  6. Heart and Soil: Histamine and Immune
  7. Lions Mane
  8. Optimal PC
  9. NeuroCalm Magnesium

I know some people are against overly supplementing on here, but I started working with her about a month before I speculated my cause was Finasteride and got off it. I’m continuing this regiment. I also workout regularly.

She also doesn’t want me drinking/eating out of plastic either. I only drink water and ONLY out of a metal water bottle now. Most of the supplements I take come in glass bottles for that reason. Apparently the BPAs in plastic take such a vicious toll on the male body.

I’m certain a lot of people have tried things like this to cure PFS to no avail, but it certainly doesn’t hurt to take extremely good care of your body when going through something like this.

Another question - my speech issues are more physical than mental. My mouth often times feels numb and my pallet/sinuses always have a weird pressure now that’s exasperated when I’m tired or stressed. This has shown slight improvement since stopping Finasteride two weeks ago, but it’s definitely the thing affecting my speech. There are certain phrases and consonants that I really struggle with and it’s like my mouth doesn’t work right to enunciate. Can anyone relate?

Yes, I can definitely relate to this. Enunciation is harder. My lips feel uncoordinated and swollen. I also occasionally have a globus sensation in my throat, which also makes speaking tiresome and difficult. All this started with PFS - I had never any problems like that before.

I posted about three months ago when I first came off Finasteride about slurred speech issues. My symptoms seem to have improved slightly in terms of severity, but the slurred speech is still persistent. I’m hoping this will improve over time. Wanted to follow up and see if anyone has seen improvements in this symptom over time? It’s accompanied by brain fog as well. Hope everyone is doing as well as they can!

three months is early, especially if you have seen improvements.

Hi @Recovery18 - i moved your post to your member story so it’s easier for people to track your progress - also changed the topic to reflect your current state (feel free to change it to something else).

Thank you, sir!

Does anyone feel like their voice has gotten higher as a result of Finasteride? If so, we’re you able to recover from this? I feel like I’ve noticed my voice is less deep and requires more to project.

What were your hormone levels? Low T/Low DHT and high estrogen will quickly raise voice pitch

Got blood work done a few weeks ago and will be meeting with my doctor in about two weeks to go over the results. I’ve read a lot of things that say males can’t make their voices higher even with hormone therapy; that after puberty your voice is pretty much solidified. Not sure how true that is now. Btw thanks for the response.

While that’s true. Ageing causes vocal atrophy. Which could be caused by a hormonal shift as well. Make sure you get your levels yourself. Doctors are useless if your values are “in range”.

Really appreciate the response, man. I’ll be interested to see my results. Any way to reverse that atrophy you think and get my voice back?

I am still experiencing this, but it seems to be subtly improving. I also still have slight issues with drooling when I talk. My mouth is producing far too much saliva and I can feel it building up any time I’m speaking. These seem to be very rare symptoms as I don’t know too many people who have experienced this. Having said that, has anyone experienced this or can somewhat relate?

Are you still taking those supplements? I think Lions Mane may be an anti androgen.