Still Having Slurred Speech

I know exactly what you mean and there’s many other reporting the same thing.

Do you also feel like you’ve lost “muscle tone” in rest? I can still lift quite heavy, but I don’t have any “tone” unless I’m actually flexing.

I would say I’ve definitely lost muscle tone. My muscles just look softer and have no rigidity. Like you said, I can still lift very heavy, which makes this all the more odd.

It’s not that weird though. Could be nerve issue, stretch receptor issue or something else. Obviously ours is on the milder side.

On examination a diminished resistance to passive movement will be noted and muscles may feel abnormally soft and limp on palpation.

The low muscle tone associated with hypotonia must not be confused with low muscle strength or the definition commonly used in bodybuilding. Neurologic muscle tone is a manifestation of periodic action potentials from motor neurons. As it is an intrinsic property of the nervous system, it cannot be changed through voluntary control, exercise, or diet.

It also fits in the PFSN theory as it’s prevalent in SBMA.

2 Likes

Very interesting. I appreciate you sharing this. It only started to happen after I came off the medication. Have you seen any improvements with this overtime?

No sorry, not much in this regard I’m afraid.