Should I go to ER?

For the past 3 weeks, I’ve had diarrhea and constipation and large weight loss (15+ lbs). My stools are typically yellow with food scraps on them. I’m thinking I have malabsorption. I’m also developing sore joints, tinnitus and a slight headache.

Should I wait this out or go to the ER? I’m concerned that this is pretty serious.
I’m currently past the 1 month mark of quitting fin, and symptoms appear to be getting worse.

Hi man,

That does sound like some pretty wicked GI disturbance. How is the brain fog coming along?

I think it would be wise to formulate a plan for gut health. Possibly include steamed vegetables, fermented foods, and a probiotic with digestive enzymes? I’ve read success stories from guys who made their own soups and bone broths also.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

I have the same problem. Had a colonoscopy done but nothing major was found. They did do a 72 fecal test and I was showing malabsorption but oddly some of my vitamin levels were high. I think something is going on at the micro level…I definitely think it’s gut and hormone related. Best to ask the doc.

Do you have diarrhea and feel like you need to use the restroom after every meal?

Is this really a life-threatening emergency, or something that would be better handled with a visit to a gastroenterologist if you’re insistent that the appointment is soon?

I’m not sure. If my body isn’t absorbing any nutrients, I’m afraid I can die.

I have a feeling they will tell you to go home and call your doctor if you go to the ER. How about just calling your PCP and explaining that you are loosing weight rapidly?

Yeah, that sounds like a better idea.
Once I get the results from my blood and stool test, I’ll send it over to my gastroenterologist.

1 Like

Hope it turns out alright for you. There certainly must be something they can do to stop the diarrhea and weight loss, whether it be something to make your stool solid again, or a special diet.

This is actually pretty scary. I think both my liver and gut are screwed. Possibly my kidneys, too. I also crashed again. No boners and less than 2 hours of sleep.

Why is it that I’m not tired despite my insomnia?

When I first crashed (back in Jan 2019) yes. It was pretty bad for a few months. It’s still not 100% but it’s improved since last year. When I first crashed, I was having bowel movements up to 3 times a day; now I’m back down to 1 but still loose 5 out of 7 times of the week.

I thought you had a fever and dry cough two weeks ago? How did that progress?

The fever and coughs went away.
I’m suspecting I had/have some infection, possibly in my gut. Could explain the diarrhea and undigested food.

Call your doctor and ask them what to do. None of us are going to know.

1 Like

Unfortunately, my gastro thought it was due to some diet change.
I had to go to an urgent care clinic to get a blood and stool test done. Hopefully it returns something so I can return to my gastro and get some helpful advice.

In the meantime, I will try adjusting my diet. I still think what I eat is triggering my heart palpitations.

FYI, when I had my big crash I went through a period of needing the toilet after every meal and undigested food was coming out in my stool and it did resolve itself. My stomach is still fucked and I am gluten and lactose intolerant since PFS struck, but that very worst phase did pass.

Not that I would encourage you to sit back and do nothing if you are worried, just to let you know that someone else out there has gone through something similar without dying.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for sharing.

Did your weight also go down a lot during the crash?

It did, but my previous pretty intense gym routine went out the window, and I also went on radical diet changes that replaced a lot of unhealthy habits with much healthier (but less calorific) options, so I cannot pin my weight loss on one thing.

Bloodwork shows that everything is “normal”, but liver enzymes are slightly elevated.

Now I wait for stool tests.

Wait!

My blood test shows ALT at 96. Ref range from 9 - 46.

How do I get my ALT levels down?
I’m gonna call my gastro.

This explains all my symptoms! I think I’m going to die…