Roll Call for Proscar victims and other older sufferers

Well, hell, I had all three markers. I was destined for ruination! Jim

2 Likes

Truth spoken

1 Like

I have always thought that the reason I have been able to rebound some from PFS symptoms was that I was older and perhaps my testosterone was lower, I too was hyper sexual, particularly for my age. When I think of how this whole ordeal unfolded. I think of a testosterone as a catalyst rubberband and when we were all took finasteride it snapped that band and damaged us so deeply, disrupting many parts of us physically/mentallyā€¦ I think of the young kids who took this poison at their peak testosterone, I can see how they are severely and perhaps irrevocably damaged as well as not having any life reference . To them the concept of ā€œ getting through itā€ or enduring the severe damage is unfathomable. So perhaps having lived a great deal of our lives has made us more capable of getting through ( oh great another hardship to endure) as opposed to it being all we are. That education comes with time.
I have never been depressed or had depression, even during the worst of PFS. I live my life vertically, forward focused, so I donā€™t see the debris field of damage caused by finesteride. I just endure and adjust forward. I am glad I simplified my life and capabilities as I no longer struggle to do what used to be in routine pre-fin. On ergood days I can do so much like before. On bad days I get through, I am truly blessed to have that knowledge . That knowledge is power back from all I lost. I may not be what I was pre-fin, but I am so much more than the first years after.

2 Likes

Aside from your whole post being a very interesting and insightful read, this particular comment strongly resonates with me. You see, every time I mention to my parents the side effects I think iā€™m experiencing they usually say things along the lines of ā€œwell, thatā€™s completely normal in most peopleā€; obviously, they fail to grasp the fact that it wasnā€™t normal in me before, which is what concerns me. I guess iā€™m just more mediocre now, both physically and mentally.
Additionally, I always considered myself to have a high intellect too (consider the fact that iā€™m a 18 yo non-native speaker of the language), so your observations may hold some truth, heck, have you seen the kind of people we have on here? The admins are amazing people, very talented and gifted.

3 Likes

Not to sound like your parents but their reaction is pretty typical. Everyone Iā€™ve shared symptoms with has had that same responseā€¦people close enough to me that I thought would know better. It frustrated the hell out of me in the beginning but I realized itā€™s impossible for a non-sufferer to understand. The only symptom that has been acknowledged as unusual is my gum recession.

2 Likes

Thank you for your kind words, sir. Itā€™s gratifying that I can still assemble a worthy post now and again.

The gen popā€™s eyes are blind to our ordeals, even when it is painfully obvious, and no matter how close they are. Still we fight on. Until we donā€™t. Jim

2 Likes

Bumping for benefit of @numbduck interested in number of older Proscar victims.

I am also a Proscar victim with a professional job (Electrical Engineer). I am only 30 but figured Iā€™d chime in.