Road to saw palmetto recovery [with an iron will]

Welcome to our community. Please fill in the following template as a way of introducing yourself, and helping others to understand your background and situation.

Where are you from (country)?

New York, USA

How did you find this forum (Google search – if so, what search terms? Via link from a forum or website – if so, what page? Other?)

Google

What is your current age, height, weight?

30, 5’ 9.5"

What specific drug did you use (finasteride, dutasteride, saw palmetto, isotretinoin/Accutane, fluoxetine, sertraline, citalopram, leuprorelin, etc…)?

320mg saw palmetto + pumpkin seed oil

What dose did you take (eg. 1 mg/day, 1 mg every other day etc.)?

What condition was being treated with the drug?

Hair loss prevention (was probably never even losing my hair. BDD sucks…)

For how long did you take the drug (weeks/months/years)?

2.5 years full dose + 1 year low dose

How old were you, and WHEN (date) did you start the drug?

25 (June 2014)

How old were you when you quit, and WHEN (date) did you quit?

27 (Nov 2016)

How did you quit (cold turkey or taper off)?

Cold turkey but took lower dose (80-160mg) in multivitamin for a year, than completely off

How long into your usage did you notice the onset of side effects?

ED in first week, 100% fine for 1.5 years after first week, then nasty sides started

What side effects did you experience that have yet to resolve since discontinuation?

Check the boxes that apply. You can save your post first, then interactively check/uncheck the boxes by clicking on them. If your symptoms change, please update your list.

Sexual
[ X] Loss of Libido / Sex Drive
[ X] Erectile Dysfunction
[ ] Complete Impotence
[ x] Loss of Morning Erections
[ x] Loss of Spontaneous Erections
[ ] Loss of Nocturnal Erections
[ ] Watery Ejaculate
[ ] Reduced Ejaculate
[ ] Inability or Difficulty to Ejaculate / Orgasm
[ ] Reduced Sperm Count / Motility

Mental
[ x] Emotional Blunting / Emotionally Flat
[ ] Difficulty Focusing / Concentrating
[ x] Confusion
[ ] Memory Loss / Forgetfulness
[ x] Stumbling over Words / Losing Train of Thought
[ ] Slurring of Speech
[ x] Lack of Motivation / Feeling Passive / Complacency
[ ] Extreme Anxiety / Panic Attacks
[ x] Severe Depression / Melancholy
[ ] Suicidal Thoughts

Physical
[ ] Penile Tissue Changes (narrowing, shrinkage, wrinkled)
[ ] Penis curvature / rotation on axis
[ ] Testicular Pain
[ ] Testicular Shrinkage / Loss of Fullness
[X ] Genital numbness / sensitivity decrease
[ ] Weight Gain
[ ] Gynecomastia (male breasts)
[ ] Muscle Wastage
[ ] Muscle Weakness
[ ] Joint Pain
[ ] Dry / Dark Circles under eyes

Misc
[ ] Prostate pain
[ ] Persistent Fatigue / Exhaustion
[X ] Stomach Pains / Digestion Problems
[ ] Constipation / “Poo Pellets”
[ ] Vision - Acuity Decrease / Blurriness
[ ] Tinnitus (ringing or high pitched sound in ears)
[ ] Hearing loss
[ ] Increased hair loss
[ ] Frequent urination
[X ] Lowered body temperature

[ x] Other (please explain)

Insomnia

What (if any) treatments have you undertaken to recover from your side effects since discontinuation of the drug?

-VSL 3 probiotics
-CBD oil
-Intense exercise
-Kick boxing
-Melatonin
-Cycling
-Meditation
-Life situation changes
-Saunas
-Playing video games to distract mind
-Reading self help books which focus on optimal health

Other potential additions:

-Sensory deprivation tank
-Aminos
-Glutathione IV

If you have pre or post-drug blood tests, what hormonal changes have you encountered since discontinuing the drug (please post your test results in the “Blood Tests” section and link to them in your post)?

Anything not listed in the above questions you’d like to share about your experience?

I have been suffering from BDD since 2013 and was never even losing my hair. I lost everything for no reason. One of the hardest things I have to deal with is the regret of this decision which never needed to happen in the first place. Thought I was dodging a bullet with saw. Was dead wrong.

Tell us your story, in your own words, about your usage and side effects experienced while on/off the drug.

I noticed a tiny bit of recession in 2014 and freaked out. Researched natural ways to save hair and found saw palmetto, then later pumpkin seed oil. I thought both were safe. My hair didn’t change at all but in 2016 I started to notice much less libido as well as depression and anhedonia. I did NoFap in 2016 and thought I was flatlining at first so I didn’t connect the dots for nearly 2 years. One day at the end of 2016, I woke up and couldn’t feel my penis at all. Was extremely terrified. I didn’t get morning wood but didn’t think much of it back then. Have had bad depression since the end of 2016 as well, but I was better when I was in a relationship in 2017.

Now I’m fighting to get back what was stolen from me

3 Likes

Good luck! I know you will succeed!

1 Like

It is easier said than done, but try not to beat yourself up about taking saw palmetto unnecessarily. There is a lot of social pressure (which breeds paranoia) around hair loss, and that in combination with your BDD and the lack of adequate information regarding the severity and prevalence of side effects from any type of 5ari means you were not making an informed decision at the time. I know it is hard, but try not to dwell on the things that cannot be changed, it will only sap energy that you need to be channeling into overcoming this. And you will overcome it.

2 Likes

Fighting is the wrong approach. I understand why such an attitude holds appeal. It gives a person a sense of agency and control, and ultimately, as people, especially men, it’s in our DNA to strive to solve issues. However, such an approach can lead to reckless experimentation with substances which can make you a whole lot worse. One needs to act with a high degree of caution, and avoid treading the same paths which have led to disaster in so many other sufferers.

4 Likes

May 2019 update:

Been feeling pretty damn good the last few days and for most of this month. I have noticed the greatest improvement in libido, ejaculate force, orgasmic anhedonia, and mood and the least improvement in morning wood, insomnia, and visual sides.

1-10 Month average (pfs baseline)
10 indicates pre-pfs state

Libido 7 (2)
Ejaculate force 8 (3)
Orgasmic sensation 8 (2)
ED 7 (4)
Depression 7 (2)
Morning wood 2 (2)
Nocturnals 2 (4)
Insomnia 3 (3)

What I’ve been doing:

-150 mg Wellbutrin
-VSL 3 probiotics daily
-Charlotte’s Web CBD daily
-3mg Melatonin before bed
-High intensity exercise, especially squats
-Meditation
-Swimming
-Bike riding
-Guns n’ Roses

1 Like

August 2019 update:

Still improving on nearly all fronts, especially depression and insomnia. I hope some other people try what I have been doing because I’d be curious if others will improve as well. I have been adopting a warrior mentality and cannot stress the importance of the gym and how much this is a constant willpower fight and is the hardest thing I’ve ever faced.

1-10 improvement (pfs baseline)
10 indicates pre-pfs state

Libido 7 (2)
Ejaculate force 6 (3)
Orgasmic sensation 7 (2)
ED 7 (4)
Depression 8 (2)
Morning wood 5 (2)
Nocturnals 5 (4)
Insomnia 6 (3)

What I’ve been doing:

-150 mg Wellbutrin
-CBD isolate before bed and as needed
-3mg Melatonin before bed
-Strong lift 5x5 3x per week
-:boxing_glove: every morning and every evening when I don’t do strong lifts
-Meditation 40 min a day
-High protein high fat breakfast every morning
-Keep a journal and don’t stay in bed when alarm goes off
-Listen to motivating music like Rocky
-Do things I know used to be fun such as guitar and PS4

Good luck and keep up the fight.

8 Likes

Hey @Sawproblemo !

You’re post pumped me up, man. You’re a hell of a fighter and putting in work in life despite the cards we were dealt.

Can you explain any differences you’ve felt lately and compared to baseline with the Wellbutrin? I’m not attributing your improvement to wellbutrin, but rather your kick ass mentality. Keep at it.

1 Like

Before Wellbutrin I was suicidal. I’d come home from work and just lie on my couch for hrs, not drinking or eating anything.

There was no will to live and never any libido.

After Wellbutrin the level of depression lowered as did suicidal ideation but I still had no strong motivation and I still felt no joy hanging out with friends and family. Occasionally I’d check out girls but there was no real strong libido. I did not check out girls at all before Wellbutrin.

After adding the brutal workout routine and trying to make optimal micro decisions each day (get up early, meditate, go for walks) I’m checking out girls regularly and often have strong libido urges.

No strong morning wood and still have insomnia but penis doesn’t feel like dead rubber in the morning and the brain penis connection is improving. Also my piss stream feels mildly pleasurable like it used to and penis feels more alive and less like a dead rubber tube.

I remember reading that exercise increases brain dht levels and even affects AR expression. Maybe this is the case with me.

4 Likes

What about probiotics?

I should have mentioned gut, thanks for the reminder.

Not taking probiotics ATM, just kombucha, kimchi, Greek yogurt. Gut definitely needs work as stools are not like they used to be but I think there has been some minor gut improvement. I plan on doing a stool test again soon and possibly going on a gut antibiotic followed by probiotics.

1 Like

I see. What it sounds like is the Wellbutrin took the edge off and then you’ve seen tons of improvement through your regimen. Keep it up, man! Cheering for you.

2 Likes

I would like to add something random. …

I danced and sang my ass off at karaoke the other night and had a blast. It’s been years since I’ve had that much fun.

Keep up the fight brothers :muscle:

6 Likes
3 Likes

I’ve adopted much of the mindset the fella above discusses. I have definitely improved and will continue to push forward and try to do positive things and think positively.

I hope others will consider Meditation, keeping busy, possibly dating again, and doing things you used to love even if you don’t love them now.

6 Likes

Insomnia Cocktail (1-2 hrs before bed):

-3mg melatonin
-2mg magnesium theronate (increases GABA)
-25mg CBD isolate (full spectrum works better but might me 5ari)
-Yogi Soothing Carmel Bedtime Tea

Just wanted to share a :cocktail: I am using that is really helping me with insomnia and not waking up in the middle to the night or morning with anxiety. I actually feel “sleepy” and yawn before bed now and wake up a bit sleepy. I used to never yawn and basically just went to bed because I knew it was time to sleep.

1 Like

I was on Wellbutrin for my depression before the whole PFS thing happened. I see you are dealing with insomnia. Are you taking it in the mornings? I have always been a good sleeper but I had to take Wellbutrin before 8:00 AM or I would have serious trouble sleeping later that night.

I stopped Wellbutrin. Was giving my issues with coordination and visual perception.

do you eat nuts? almonds give me good benefits almond butter. Also try vinegar, and 100ml vine. buy good natural organic vine. Vine gives me 9 hours of restfully sleep. don’t drink it every day the affects last 4-5 after one 100ml.

can you replicate this? I want to see if it can be replicated.

I eat almonds but not that many. I’ll try to eat more. What vinegar, apple cider vinegar?

I grape cider vinegar.