Reversing silenced AR signal with demethylating agents - A promising treatment option?

Shippen said “a doctor in Europe” was having success with procaine. So, not sure if he was talking about Awor or someone else. Shippen has spoken to this doctor.

According to them I can inject this at 1 cc daily. If I dont feel anything in a week I go up to 2 cc’s and so on. I’m going to put a small maintenance amount of b12 in the same syringe when I do the injections.

I would pm awor and see what he thinks and whether he is that person.

Yes, I have PM’ed Awor to get his thoughts. I have not heard back yet. He hasn’t been very active on the forum lately. Hopefully his treatment is still going well.

I got the impression from Dr. Shippen that the results from whomever he was talking about in Europe are very promising however its very early stages and much is yet to be learned.

Will be very interesting if this “works” on two of us…

I am certainly considering it but not sure where to have it done.

Is there some evidence that finasteride causes an over-methylation either directly or indirectly? Just interested in how this theory came about.

Theory came about to neatly explain why we don’t respond to androgens, sometimes supraphysiologic amounts. At this point it is all educated guessing until a research epigenetic scientist performs a study. True “evidence” would only be found this way. This would take alot of time and money. But, most of the PFS docs I have spoken with (four of them) feel this is the issue. And, Awors positive results, even though very early on, seem to bolster the theory. Hopefully I will be starting this on Wednesday. Two of us improve on this we are onto something. Should know soon.

Awor has recieved my message but has not responded yet. I’m sure he’s getting a ton of PM’s though. Would be interested to know if he thinks injections will be effective as IV administration considering the half life of the drug.

Well keep us posted man. Very interesting.

A short summary of this idea from other sources.

The more I think about this the more sense it makes. The idea of gene silencing explains the long term effects of a medication and why we continue having issues. Finasteride is no longer in our bodies. Our bodies would normalise. But the damage is done. The genes silenced. If it were primarily hormonal changing the levels of hormones would help. Only a few have had success with this.

Hormonal issues are certainly secondary as our hormones vary significantly on this forum. TRT may help but again it doesn’t get to the root. The idea of methylation and silencing function can explain everything and with some signs of success I believe it is the best avenue worth exploring. It may not cure us but he might certainly help.

If anyone knows how I can go about trying it please let me know.

Chin up folks.

Thanks for the summary, Oscar. Much better than I could have done. I hope Awor’s absence from the forum means he’s doing very well. Will start this tomorrow.

19- If you want to try this it shouldnt be that difficult to get Procaine and the needles you’d need. It isnt a controlled substance.

Makes sense from reading that. BTW, I hate finasteride even more now…

Thanks. My main question is whether i.v is the best way.

Really hope things continue to improve for you (and then us) with this, Awor.

When you get the chance, looking forward to hear how you’re doing.

Good luck and keep us posted, boston.

Awor or other knowledgeable people, I understand what happened to us (ARs get hypersensitive and then, when DHT comes back, methylation takes place); but what happens to “normal” people? Their ARs don’t get hypersensitive? or, they do but they don’t methylate?

Awor is telling me injections probably will not work. I want to discuss this further with Shippen and Jacobs. Would like to see if I can understand Dr. Shippens reasoning for the injections considering the half life of Procaine. At this point will be Monday at the earliest before I can speak with him. I may start this anyway tonight just to see what happens.

Wasn’t awor saying injections are tthe only thing that will work, in earlier posts?

No, he states intravenous specifically due to the half life of Procaine.

I just injected 1 cc of Procaine with 1/2 a cc of b12. I’ll continue with it until I cant talk to Shippen on Monday and get his thoughts. I have no problems with trying IV if this doesnt work.

It would be interesting to know who is this doctor, since many of us, including myself are from Europe. Maybe an Anti-aging Doctor?

From wikipedia:

Demethylating agents are compounds that can inhibit methylation, resulting in the expression of the previously hypermethylated silenced genes (see methylation: methylation and cancer for more detail). Cytidine analogs such as 5-azacytidine (azacitidine) and 5-azadeoxycytidine (decitabine) are the most commonly used demethylating agents . These compounds work by binding to the enzymes that catalyse the methylation reaction, DNA methyltransferases; and titrate out these enzymes [1]. Both compounds have been approved in the treatment of Myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS) by Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in United States. Azacitidine and decitabine are marketed as Vidaza and Dacogen respectively. Azacitidine is the first drug to be approved by FDA for treating MDS and has been given orphan drug status [2][3]. Procaine is a DNA-demethylating agent with growth-inhibitory effects in human cancer cells.[4]