Reuters exclusive: Merck anti-baldness drug Propecia has long trail of suicide reports, records show

Reuters have reported further on recently unsealed court records, which show that Merck & Co and U.S. regulators knew about reports of suicidal behavior in men taking the company’s anti-baldness treatment Propecia when they decided not to warn consumers of those potential risks in a 2011 update of the popular drug’s label.

Read further here:

16 Likes

So do I understand correctly, that those unsealed documents prove, that Merck was aware of suicides, suicidal thoughts and persistent sexual dysfunction connected to the usage of Finasteride? Do the documents show, that Merck knew but decided to hide those facts in cooperation with people from FDA? and not to mention these serious side effects on the label?

If so, it still does not mean much for us, or am I wrong? I mean these documents do not prove direct causality and connection between usage of Finasterida and suicides, ED, libido loss…

That’s basically what I got out of it. They’ll continue to spew the same bullshit over and over and over and over. “A clear causal link between Propecia and suicidality has not been established.”

1 Like
  1. Yes.
  2. Yes.
  3. Yes.
  4. Statistically it is very likely to be connected somehow. But no, a direct causal link is not established. The point is mostly that Merck has not done their jobs in properly researching the adverse effects and it clearly shows. Hopefully this will become quite big news and spark interest with researchers.

Unless thorough medical research is done (which Merck obviously should have done in the very beginning) we will never know what PFS really is. We still don’t know whether it’s an auto immune reaction or nerve damage or genetic damage or receptor desensitizing or chemically induced brain tissue damage.

This is why funding research is so important and why everyone on this forum should do the survey.

4 Likes

Finally some real media attention. Now we need solutions. God bless Reuters for ongoing reporting and investigating.

17 Likes

Could this be the first step from many, that could lead to real, extensive research about what PFS is, funded by the public grant?

That’s a bit of a stretch.

Thank God there are some good journalists out there

5 Likes

It’s blowing up… maybe people will actually start listening

10 Likes

@axolotl Thanks for sharing this.

1 Like

Did you guys also see that Kenneth Frazier is retiring just in time before this really kicks off, he knows Merck is going to shit now.

2 Likes

Let’s hope, but unlikely!!! justice is rarely served up especially the fat cats. The

2 Likes

Yes the media coverage is fantastic. Dan Levine continues to defend all of us and seek the truth at Reuters. Here is his email if you want to personally thank him, share your story, or help provide anything highly relevant you believe could benefit his research.

Dan.Levine@thomsonreuters.com

4 Likes

@johnnyfin I’ve sent a mail and thanked him, I’ve also offered up my story in the hope he wants to take this further to show the personal cost of this poison. I’ll keep you posted in the event of a reply. Fingers crossed

7 Likes