Resistance training restores 5α-reductase expressions

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24443372

Abstract
Skeletal muscle can synthesize testosterone and 5α-dihydrotestosterone (DHT) from dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) via steroidogenic enzymes in vitro, but hormone levels and steroidogenic enzyme expression decline with aging. Resistance exercise has been shown to increase in plasma sex steroid hormone levels. However, it remains unclear whether resistance training can restore impaired steroidogenic enzyme expressions in older individuals. Six young and 13 older men were recruited, and muscle biopsies were taken from the vastus lateralis at basal state. The same group of older subjects underwent resistance training involving knee extension and flexion exercises for 12 wk, and post-training biopsies were performed 4-5 d after the last exercise session. Muscular sex steroid hormone levels and sex steroidgenesis-related enzyme expressions were significantly lower in older subjects than younger ones at baseline, but 12 wk of resistance training significantly restored hormone levels (DHEA: 432±26 at baseline, 682±31 pg/μg protein, DHT: 6.2±0.9 at baseline, 9.8±1.4 pg/μg protein). Furthermore, the steroidogenesis-related enzymes such as 3β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (HSD), 17β-HSD, and 5α-reductase expressions were significantly restored by resistance training. We conclude progressive resistance training restores age-related declines in sex steroidogenic enzyme and muscle sex steroid hormone levels in older men.-Sato, K., Iemitsu, M., Matsutani, K., Kurihara, T., Hamaoka, T., Fujita, S. Resistance training restores muscle sex steroid hormone steroidogenesis in older men.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24704257

Abstract
Sex steroid hormones are secreted mainly by the ovary and testis and regulate diverse physiological processes in target tissues. Recent studies have shown that sex steroidogenesis-related mRNA and protein expressions, such as for 17β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (HSD), 3β-HSD, 5α-reductase and aromatase cytochrome P-450 (P450arom) enzymes, are detected in the skeletal muscle, while testosterone, estradiol, and 5α-dihydrotestosterone (DHT) were locally synthesized in skeletal muscle from dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA). Moreover, in animal and human studies, the sex steroidogenesis enzymes and sex steroid hormone levels in skeletal muscle are upregulated by acute and chronic exercise stimulation. The enhanced muscle sex steroidgenesis is associated with glycemic control via upregulation of muscle glucose transporter-4 (GLUT-4) signaling in obese and diabetic rats and with muscle mass and strength in older men. Thus, an exercise-induced increase of sex steroid hormone in muscle may positively impact age-related concerns such as life-related diseases and sarcopenia.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21502890

Abstract
PURPOSE:
Endurance training improves skeletal muscular function including energy metabolism and structure. Sex steroid hormones partly contribute to the exercise-induced muscular adaptations. Recently, we demonstrated that skeletal muscle contains steroidogenic converting enzymes to synthesize sex steroid hormones and an acute endurance exercise activates local steroidogenesis in skeletal muscle. However, whether chronic endurance training leads to enhanced steroidogenesis in skeletal muscle is unknown. Here, we examined changes in steroidogenic enzymes and sex steroid hormones in the skeletal muscle after chronic endurance exercise training.
METHODS:
Eleven male rats were divided into two groups: sedentary (n = 6) and trained (n = 5). Endurance training was performed on a treadmill (30 m·min(-1), 30 min) for 5 d·wk(-1) for 12 wk. The posttraining harvesting was performed 48 h after the last exercise training.
RESULTS:
The mRNA expressions of 3β-HSD, aromatase cytochrome P450, and 5α-reductase in the skeletal muscle of trained rats were significantly higher than those of sedentary rats (P < 0.05). The protein expressions of aromatase cytochrome P450 and 5α-reductase in the skeletal muscle of trained rats were also significantly higher than those of sedentary rats (P < 0.05). The muscular dihydrotestosterone (DHT) concentrations in the skeletal muscle of trained rats were significantly higher than those of sedentary rats (P < 0.01), but there was no change in dehydroepiandrosterone, total testosterone, free testosterone, and estradiol. Furthermore, muscle weight corrected for body weight of trained rats was moderately correlated with the level of muscular DHT concentration in trained rats (r = 0.41, P < 0.05).
CONCLUSIONS:
Endurance exercise training enhances the muscular DHT concentration through 5α-reductase in the skeletal muscle of rats, suggesting that local bioactive androgen metabolism may participate in exercise training-induced skeletal muscular adaptation.

5 Likes

Thank you very much Trini_youth for posting these.

No problem man

I would have thought that this information would send shockwaves through propeciahelp as a probable treatment for pfs

1 Like

I dont think exercise alone will cure PFS.

It has helped me a lot, and I’ve only been doing resistance training for about 3-4 weeks now. I’m not convinced that it alone will completely CURE PFS, but it seems to me that in each and every “cure,” resistance training was involved (despite other aspects being very different). Hmm…

We’d only know when someone actually does progressive weight training for minimum of 4 months

Might as well add some L-carnitine L-tartrate (LCLT) to it as well. It has been shown to increase androgen receptor content.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16826026

1 Like

In my opinion there will never be a cure as such. Exercise is the best thing for most of our sides IMO. Depression, sleep and ed.

1 Like

I’ve read many recoveries by dudes who worked out like an animal for X amount of time. This study doesn’t surprise me at all.

One of the posters here was a bodybuilder yet he still got PFS.

Nowhere in these abstracts, nor in any of the comments, was it suggested that PFS couldn’t happen to someone who lifts. Instead, what is suggested, is that lifting could potentially help with symptoms. I have been on this forum a long time, and suffered a long time, and if one researches every “recovery,” they pretty much all involve some sort of heavy lifting regimen. Many have suggested that it takes several months of consistent lifting, but that improvement will happen. If nothing else, we know that heavy lifting boosts T, which has been helpful for some. I recommend it as a starting point for anyone, as I am not convinced it will hurt you in any way (as opposed to ingesting hormones, which has proven beneficial for some, and devastated others).

1 Like

Key is that most guys who do weight training forget the progressive part. This is essential. When the body realises the need to be stronger it kicks in to overdrive to create the highly androgenic dht

Spot on, heavy lifting at high intensity is the corner stone of mostly all the recoveries, supplements and diet are also important too. It’s not just lifting it’s punishing yourself in the gym to get that endorphin hit, that’s what is helping me so much. 45mins of super sets as much weight as possible with no rest.

Yeah i am here and i have done this Shit nearly professional 3 Hours every day for 8 Years…half of time lifting wieghts half of the Time Cardio…I was 110 kG with Muscles now i am a little retard Shit

Have you got low testosterone? Did you get bloods?

I have. I suspect at the very least 40% of members would have committed to heavy lifting for at least half a year at some point.

I don’t doubt it’s probably beneficial, but it’s by no means a cure and it’s naive to suggest so.

There’s also no evidence to suggest 5AR expression is impaired either. You can bypass 5-AR by supplementing DHT directly, it still won’t much if any androgenic effects on people with PFS.

This thread is missing what I think is the most important part…

Adding CDNuts protocol to your workouts.

Prohormones (boost 5ar)
Tbooster cycling (7 of them, rotate daily)
PCT (Post Cycle Therapy stack)

When 5ar is difficient or damaged, simply adding T or DHT directly does not help resolve the root issue, it only improves the symptoms of low T and low DHT. I’ve tried both, then stopped and both of these dropped back down to low baseline in my recent labs. So it’s become apparent to me that fixing the 5ar enzymes/receptors is important.

I think if the 5ar component is restored and operating normally, then the natural body’s process will work like it should:
T = 5ar = DHT (the converter in the middle is broken)

What concerns me the most is the neurosteroid levels and whether they will normalize as part of the above protocol, or whether we have to do additional things to restore them.

Actually you can’t bypass 5ar. When cells need DHT, they don’t generally accept DHT from the blood. They accept T and 5ar and create the DHT on the spot.

Serum DHT, from what I understand, is mostly waste that cells don’t bother to use. It is not a substitute for proper 5ar function. And this isn’t even considering the other functions that 5ar has besides converting T to DHT.

2 Likes

Has anyone been able to get back to a pre-fin or better muscle level from weight training?

1 Like