Research: Finasteride, GABA-A and mental/anxiety problems

funny you should say this and we’re here talking about it. GABA is basically the overall neurosteroid that allows for the entire brain system to function properly, i.e. allo-pregnenolone etc produces it. I wouldnt say im mentally ill as much as emotionally numb to everything, and physically exhausted. I’ve been having muscle twitches from hell too recently so it’s all very interesting. Any drug that somehow raises GABA levels which they are trying to come out with would be extremely beneficial but the problem with that is anything that directly affects GABA alcohol, marijuana, and GHB etc would send the user into a drunken/high sort of state. Anyway, they’re putting me on xyrem so I should finally get some needed deep sleep but the effect on GABA is far less potent than real ghb.

Alcohol also? That could explain why I had 2 days of recovery to pre-fin state after I drunk a lot at the party :confused:

1 Like

Ithappens what is xyrem, and do you have any relief with it.

Xyrem is sodium oxybate (the salt crystals of GHB). It basically is a medication used for narcolepsy and cataplexy. It’s suppose to work is a similar manner to that of real ghb, sending the user into a deep stage 3 and 4 sleep for a period of time etc. I have not taken it yet I just recently had it prescribed, and will have to wait to be approved for it, and get it as it is a highly controlled thing here. Problem is real pure GHB would be far more powerful and work a lot better while Xyrem is so weak it just sort of gets you by. Also i’m not sure how effective xyrem is on increasing GABA compared to real GHB.

Is ghb illegal and the the other one and can you become addicted to it.

yes here in the US it is ILLEGAL unfortunately and yes when abused and taken multiple times throughout the day GHB can become addictive. However, and I do stress when taking daily small amounts at night just for sleep there seems to be some very beneficial properties. There is no evidence to suggest either way that when taken properly and not abused GHB is or isn’t addictive, as many users who have taken it in controlled doses over the years claim it isn’t. As with xyrem there is little chance at all for addiction just based on my own personal opinion and observations. It is far less stronger than real GHB and many from every doctor I talked to and user etc when taken at the prescribed nightly amount there is little to chance of addiction. However, the problem remains Xyrem probably won’t be strong enough to tickle this situation in terms of deep sleep and GH release, real GHB is most likely a far better option, in my opinion.

ithappens: hopefully that helps you. If it does, is it a medication that has to be taken for life? You are lucky you live in the US, here in Scandinavia I will probably have difficulties getting even clomid before trying TRT.

Onni I honestly hope it helps too. I realize that you may have a hard time getting on xyrem as i think i read somewhere it is still in the process of being released throughout europe. However, in europe GHB/GBL is still very much bought and sold in the drug trade and I have no doubt that if you looked hard enough you could find some or the ingredients to make your own. Here in the US though the stuff has literally been removed from the streets as it is a scheduled 1 substance, you get caught with this and you’re probably gonna go to jail. I asked a few of my shadier friends over the past year about it, and basically and I quote from one of them “you have a better chance of finding heroin”. Anyway, as far as taking it for life I dunno. Xyrem is far less powerful than true GHB so it may not even work, but the bottom line is i need it to help with deep sleep so hopefully i can recover and lead a somewhat normal life. I just hope it at least works and i can take it from there.

Neuroactive Steroids in Schizophrenia

ww1.cpa-apc.org:8080/Publication … bbo-RP.pdf

For those experiencing “dementia” or feelings of mania while on Finasteride, this article may provide some insight.

Looks like our old friends, the neuroactive steroids Allopregnanlone (3a, 5a-THP), Tetrahydrodeoxycorticosterone (3a, 5a-THDOC) and GABA-A are interfered with when it comes to schizophrenia. There is a diagram in this paper illustrating where 5AR comes into play.

Of course, Finasteride blocks Allopregnanolone and THDOC production thanks to blockade of 5AR-reduction of these metabolites, so they can no longer act properly on GABA-A while the drug is taken.

As well, the authors mention antipsychotic drugs which can be used to boost Allopregnanlone and THDOC: olanzapine, and clozapine. However, these are only mentioned in passing – taking such medications may be extremely dangerous, as mechanisms of action are not fully known and overdose can possibly lead to death or other problems.

nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/drug … 01213.html

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olanzapine

More reasons as to why Finasteride can induce anxiety-like symptoms, ie due to withdrawal/blockade of Allopregnanolone.

books.google.ca/books?id=zGCXt6o … &ct=result

Is Alchohol the solution for the anxiety/Brain fog ?

1 Like

funny you say that… everytime I drink, the next day im always able to think clear and feel good.

No. I always felt better the day after drinking, but it would not last and ultimately I would end up feeling worse. It is a nice respite once in awhile.

Agreed as well. My speech actually becomes close to perfect with alcohol (ethanol), at least while it’s in me…

I have sometimes when I drink the alcohol doesnt get me drunk like it used to. I can get drunk sometimes and other times its like im fine

this is exactly what i also experienced

I just stumbled upon this: benzobuddies.org/forum/index … ic=18353.0 . I thought it might be of interest to you. When reading this thread, I was asking myself how many guys there actually used benzos to treat anxiety and depression that was actually caused by their finasteride usage…

I am so happy I was lucky enough to discover this site after one week of fin before I did permanent damage to my body. I can’t thank you enough for this. I’m trying to help whenever I can.

Good luck.

[Size=4]It’s official:[/size]

[Size=4]December 2010 – Depression has been added by Merck USA as an officially reported post-marketing side effect from Propecia (Finasteride) use.

Read Details: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4666[/size]

Researchers now suspect low levels of Allopregnanolone (a neurosteroid) could be a factor in Multiple Sclerosis, as noted below.

Finasteride inhibits Allopregnanolone production as noted here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=202
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=38

Interesting to note that loss of hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase enzyme function (ie, 3a-HSD) was identified as a key culprit in the below. Allopregnanolone synthesis requires functional 3a-HSD enzymes.

3a-diol G (metabolite of DHT, via DHT -> 3a-HSD enzyme -> 3a-diol G pathway) has been documented to be surpressed by Finasteride in the FDA clinical trials at similar amounts as DHT, and many men on Propeciahelp.com have documented below range 3a-diol G levels post-drug: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2763

It would be interesting to test 3a-HSD enzyme activity, somehow. The below info is more related to the cognitive effects that can arise by inhibiting Allopregnanolone, however.

[Size=4]Genetic abnormality found in MS patients [/size]
theglobeandmail.com/life/health/new-health/paul-taylor/genetic-abnormality-found-in-ms-patients/article2176500/

[Size=4]Brain Steroids Found Lacking in MS[/size]
medpagetoday.com/clinical-context/MultipleSclerosis/28655

1 Like

When is the medicinal version of allopregnanalone getting approved again?

Im also curious how injections of allopregnanelone (or 3ahsd) would effect 3adiolg