Prostatitis treatment as a novel insight into Finasteride related problems

no thankfully not!

1. I have eczema which worsened ten fold after post finasteride crash

2. There was a lot of of itching, it really got annoying

3. I took antibiotics and anti histamines not long before finasteride crash, I was using steroid creams and minoxidil

It does make me wonderā€¦

Considerā€¦
About Leaky Gut
The official definition of Leaky Gut Syndrome is an increase in permeability of the intestinal mucosa to luminal macromolecules, antigens, and toxins associated with inflammatory degenerative and/ or atrophic mucosa or lining.

Put more simply, large spaces develop between the cells of the gut wall allowing bacteria, toxins and food to leak into the bloodstream.

70% of our immune system is located around the digestive system.[1] In a normal healthy person the small intestine behaves like a selective sieve allowing only the breakdown products of digestion into the bloodstream. [2] Nutrients and well digested fats, proteins and starches are readily able to enter into the bloodstream whilst large molecules, microbes and toxins are kept out. [3]

In the intestinal tract, villi (finger like projections off the lining the intestinal tract with hair like cell membrane extensions called microvilli), serve as a point of absorption of nutrients. Nutrients such as glucose, amino acids or electrolytes are carried through the microvilli into the cells of the villus via active transport (carrier molecules take the nutrients across the cell membrane).

Leaky Gut Syndrome causes the intestinal lining to become inflamed and the microvilli become damaged or altered. The damaged microvilli cannot then produce the necessary enzymes and secretions that are essential for a healthy digestion and the absorption of nutrients. [4]

In between cells reside desmosomes. These adhere adjacent cells together to form a strong, sturdy structure, which prevents large molecules from passing through. When an area becomes inflamed this weakens the structure of the desmosomes and larger molecules can escape through. This provokes the immune system to produce antibodies (a protein utilised by the immune system to locate and attack foreign objects) to fight off the molecules, as they are perceived as antigens (substances capable of triggering the production of antibodies).

A healthy individual would have a strong enough immune system to control the leakage of toxic substances but as it becomes over loaded the toxins leak into the liver resulting in an overworked overburdened liver. [5]

The Liver
The liver is the largest gland in the body and plays a really important part in detoxification as well as having many other functions including: producing bile, containing bile acids, which aid digestion, filtering out toxins, such as drugs, alcohol and environmental toxins, storing glucose as glycogen, then breaking it down about 4 hours after a meal to be converted to glucose to regulate blood sugar levels, converting ammonia to urea and removing damaged red blood cells.

Leaky Gut completely overworks the liver because it floods it with additional toxins diminishing the liverā€™s ability to neutralise chemical substances. When it cannot cope with the level of toxins the liver expels them back into the bloodstream. The circulatory system then pushes the toxins into the connective tissues and muscles where the body stores them to prevent major organ damage. The liver doesnā€™t get the time to go back and rid the body of the toxins.

As the intestinal lining becomes more and more damaged substances larger than particle size such as disease causing bacteria and fungus, potentially toxic molecules and undigested food particles pass through the weakened cell membranes. These enter the bloodstream, triggering antibodies and cytokines (protein molecules released by the immune system to cause a reaction in other cells) to fight the antigens. The cytokines alert the lymphocytes (white blood cells) to fight the particles that have escaped through the intestinal lining. Toxic oxidants are produced as a result causing allergic reactions and more inflammation throughout the body.

The digestive tract is normally coated with a mucus layer, which keeps out foreign substances. Leaky Gut Syndrome develops as the mucus layer is weakened and the bacteria, which usually resides in the intestine starts to inhabit other parts of the body as well (bacterial translocation), due to the intestinal permeability.

So put very simply your intestine develops leakages allowing substances that would normally be digested to enter the bloodstream. These toxins are passed onto the liver to deal with but it cannot cope with the overwhelming toxins and stores them in the body tissues to come back to later on. The liver is too overworked to go back to the toxins and as the intestinal lining gets consistently weaker more and more toxins and undigested food enter into the bloodstream. The immune system sends out antibodies to fight these foreign substances and in doing that toxic oxidants are produced which attack the body tissues causing allergic reactions and pain and inflammation throughout the body.

[Size=4][1] Spaeth G, Berg RD, Specian RD, Deitch EA, August 1990, ā€œFood Without Fiber promotes bacterial translocation from the gutā€ Surgery 108 (2) pp 204-47
[2] Sharma R, 2005, Leaky Gut Syndrome, article.
[3] Lipski E Leaky Gut Syndrome, 1998, ā€œWhat to do about a health threat that can cause arthritis, allergies and a host of other illnessesā€ p10 Keats
[4] Gilbere G, 2001, I Was Poisoned By My Bodyā€¦I Have A Gut Feeling You Could Be, Too, p10, Lucky Press.
[5] Gilbere G, 2001, I Was Poisoned By My Bodyā€¦I Have A Gut Feeling You Could Be, Too, p11, Lucky Press.[/size]

Overall informative link and website:
leakygut.co.uk/Candidiasis.htm
regarding Psoraiasis and Eczema:
leakygut.co.uk/Skin%20and%20Intestinal%20Disorders%20Dr%20Gilbere.htm

What can we do to test if this sort of thing may be the case?

http://www.leakygut.co.uk/testing.htm

that entire website is a good starter resource. cross-reference the data and info though. Sometimes tests can come back negative, however, but all the signs point to infection. Thereā€™s a survey of symptoms out there thatā€™s said to accurate in determining if you likely have such an infection.

google around different combinations of keywords and youā€™ll find a plethora of information: dysbiosis, yeast overgrowth, autoimmune + candida, leaky gut syndrome, intestinal permeability, thyroid + candida, prostatitis + candida, etc.

Yes, there are questionable sites out there, but also some credible ones. Buyer beware.

Since Candida is part of the similar topic as this, Has anyone here had a test done for Candida Yeast infection? Is there such a test? My layman knowledge of the problem, is that everyone has the Candida yeast, but for some it can much worse. What testing is available?

xhorndog and ihatepropecia did and both had positive tests via dark field microscopy.

Iā€™m going to be testing for it in the coming months. I have certain symptoms of it so it wouldnā€™t surprise me!!

Yes, everyone has some, itā€™s only an issue, only termed Candidiasis when it becomes an overgrowth and leads to leaky gut and other symptoms and issues. The above website mentions some of the testing available. Iā€™ll post it again: leakygut.co.uk/testing.htm

You need a doctor to do themā€¦

Leaky gut is not a real condition (and donā€™t tell me thats what doctors are saying about PFS - as there are 2 publications that confirm our issue and none that confirm leaky gut).

Emmm, wtf?

So many scientists on hereā€¦

Itā€™s called systemic candida and can be verified.

Its commonly used as an airy syndrome in alternative medicine.

As for how it relates to us - i have seen no evidence.

So until there were publications that confirmed it, PFS didnā€™t exist? Interesting. Also interesting that there are plenty (but definitely not the majority) of M.D.s who not only acknowledge leaky gut, but treat it.

But hereā€™s your publication:

Gastroenterology. 1995 May;108(5):1566-81.
[Size=4]Intestinal permeability: an overview.[/size]
Bjarnason I, MacPherson A, Hollander D.
Source
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Kingā€™s College School of Medicine, London, England.
Abstract
The noninvasive assessment of intestinal permeability in humans has a 20-year history. Because the tests are increasingly used in clinical practice and research and because there is much controversy, we reviewed the literature and outlined the potential and possible shortcomings of these procedures. Data was obtained from personal files and from a systemic search through MEDLINE and EMBASE. The principle of the differential urinary excretion of orally administered test markers is explained with reference to the desired physicochemical properties of the markers and how the principle can be exploited to allow assessment of various other gastrointestinal functions. The use of intestinal permeability tests for diagnostic screen for small bowel disease and assessment of responses to treatment, the pathogenesis of disease, normal intestinal physiology, and the effect of drugs and toxins on the intestine is described and reviewed. The controversy surrounding the anatomic location of the permeation pathways that the markers use is highlighted. Noninvasive tests of intestinal permeability have fulfilled early promises of usefulness in clinical practice and research. There is now a need for integrated research into the basic mechanisms of regulatory control of the intestinal barrier function.

[Size=4]Gastroenterology. 1996 Mar;110(3):967-8.
PMID: 7729650 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE][/size]

So some of us, who mainly choose to discuss in private because of the constant barrage of poo-pooā€™ers who like to shit on our parade, on our un-fancy, inelegant, just totally-off the wall hunches, believe that something is screwed up with our immune system because of finasteride. And others, who donā€™t have a cure, donā€™t have a treatment plan, insist that THEY know the answer, that the leads we are chasing are just worthless. It does sound a bit like the doctor who knows that finasteride could not cause such damage, doesnā€™t it? Let us chase our crazy theories, weā€™re no worse off than pumping testosterone 'till our balls shrivel up.

Here is what troubles me with all the prostate theories:

When a GIRL takes an AR5 inhibitor, her world can turn upside down too. Permanent sexual dysfunction, brain fog, depression, anhedonia, depersonalization disorder, etc. and they have no prostate!

joetz, iā€™m with you on seeing holes in the prostatitis theory. I had a little tingle in my prostate for a couple weeks after I crashed but have not experienced any prostate related issues since. btw- Can you please tell us where you found this information about women who took 5AR inhibitors?
very interesting.

There are accutane forums with girls suffering from many of the same symptoms. Accutane is also a 5AR inhibitor

Guess that limits it to a gut issue or an enzyme issueā€¦

Perhaps, but perhaps not. Girls donā€™t have penises that need to stand up and perform, so their issues are not necessarily identical. And Iā€™m not so quick to dismiss Solonjkā€™s testimony on the PFSers he met at Dr. Georgiadesā€™ practice.

Regardless, this is quite interesting. Accutane does destroy the intestines, in fact, all the lawsuit ads are for crohnā€™s and ulceritive colitis.

Joetz, could you kindly provide some links to testimonials of females who have these symptoms? Thanks.

I did a bit of reading there. One girl complains of abdominal pains ever since accutane usage (8 years later!) and another got small intestinal cancer 1 year later and blames accuntane. Thatā€™s some serious shit right there.

1. Accuntane is different
  2. It doesnā€™t limit anything to anything, even if we were talking about fin. Males and females are different in many ways, too.