Propecia and dental problems

Has anybody heard of anyone experiencing teeth problems following use of Propecia? I have recently been experiencing a deterioration in my dental health which is most uncharacteristic. Whilst I recognise that this might be something of nothing, there is a definite time link between this deterioration and my use of Propecia. Before anyone asks, my dental hygiene is very good!

Any research info or help would be greatly appreciated. My dental bills are going through the roof!!

Many thanks

I had this bizarre plaque on all of my teeth while I was on propecia. Brushing sort of helped but it came back almost instantly. It was uncomfortable & one of the reasons I stopped. I havent been to a dentist to check anything out though. It’s gone now that I stopped - took 2-3 weeks.

I have been - and still am - experiencing a same sort of detoriation of my teeth. I noticed months after starting finasteride that the quality of my teeth was declining. I didn’t make the link with the drug at the time. This is approx. four years ago now, and I stopped taking finasteride for about 3.5 years.
My teeth havent been the same since though. My dental hygiene is also good, and I have been watching my diet more since I noticed this, but the detoriation seems like an unstoppable force.
Unfortunately, there is not much information available on the topic. Everything I read about declining dental health is about bad eating & drinking habits etc., while I suspect this has an hormonal cause.

Have a read through these 2 studies, as they relate to the gums and Fin inhibition of tissue 5AR activity there.

propeciahelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1271

“Has anybody heard of anyone experiencing teeth problems following use of Propecia?”

I noticed a distinct reduction in saliva after starting Dutasteride. I wouldn’t be surprised if my oral health starts declining very rapidly.

Yes, I have had a huge number of cavities in the last 2 years, I was on for 4 years and have been off for 11 months. There has been a huge change in saliva production, increased bad breath, my teeth are basically rotting away quickly.

And this is despite a very healthy diet and much reduced sugar intake in the last 3 years :frowning:(((((((

Higher levels of cortisol dimish calcium and dentine in teeth. This could be the reason.

I know this thread is a little old. Part of the link with dental problems might be from bone loss. Low testosterone levels for a long period of time can lead to bone loss.

Didn’t inhibiting 5ar2 just mean that your testosterone levels become higher, because it doesn’t synthesize further anymore? Doesn’t testosterone accumulate after stopping it becoming DHT?

After being in denial for the last six months, my dentist informs me that I’ve experienced considerable bone loss in my jaw. It’s affecting my teeth, and I can only assume that it’s the Finerasteride damage to my testosterone.

Piling misery on misery. I’m at my wits end.

We’re with you man. Most of us are in the same boat. You need to make sure you get enough Vit D & Calcium. I’m sure you are aware, but remember the body can’t utilize Calcium without Vit D. Be sure to take both. Try to drink more milk and get more sunlight. I know it’s very upsetting, but thank god for this message board and whoever created it. I might never have realized what was happening to me without it.

Amen, brother. I don’t know what I’d do without being able to read the posts here every day.

TB

Further note, I just had $2k in dental work done and the dentist said an additional 5 teeth have soft spots (cavities in waiting). F - U - C - K. And I’m having a problem with my jaw now, and nerves. I started clenching and grinding after starting propecia (didn’t realize this until visiting the dentist, never had the headaches or head pain before propecia and didn’t think about it until now). The teeth are starting to wear.

Now I’m clenching muscles so hard that it’s traveled to my neck, shoulder, and chest to the point where my shoulder and a rib pop out of joint at nights when I sleep.

So again I’m in a situation where something really strange is going on and I can’t figure out how to fix it but it makes life miserable…

Wow, I’m so glad to have found this posting! I’m a male in my late 30’s. My dental problems didn’t really surface until after I quit taking Propecia. I took the drug for 5-6 years. I’ve been off it for a little more than a year now, and although I have excellent dental hygiene (brush twice, floss once daily), I think I had 5 cavaties in the past year (3 were substantial, at the gumline. 2 were very minor pit cavaties). I’m confident that the cause of the cavaties is due to reduced saliva production aka xerostomia. I’m almost always thirsty and have to carry a bottle of water everywhere I go. My electrolytes have checked out fine. With negative blood test results for auto immune disorders, such as Sjogren’s, my doctor is a little stumped. Blood tests over the past year revealed that I have subclinical hyperthyroidism. I’ve found many references to Propecia affecting the thyroid and endocrine system, however, I’ve been looking for indications that it might have affected my exocrine system, specifically the salivary glands. I’ve also tried to pay closer attention to my diet and digestive system, since I know it is all related. Digestion is basically normal, although I suspect I’ve had issues w/ mild Candida overgrowth. I try to eat whole foods often, and have limited my intake of sugars and gluten products. FWIW, I tend to sweat less frequently than others too. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, I’d welcome any replies.

Many of us ended up with dry eyes, a product of androgen deprivation. Saliva producing glands are also impaired in some.

If you’re thirsty and sweat less check recent posts by me on the following:

sea salt
thyroid
cortisol
aldosterone
potassium

After taking sea salt in combination with iodine I started to sweat normally again. Two pieces of the puzzle…

Martin have you tried to wear a mouth guard at night? I used to have problems with clenching and grinding when I was on another drug, and it helped. Just go to target and pick up a cheap $1 athletic boil and bite mouth guard and cut a bit of the excess off to fit your mouth.

Well it would follow reason that if you are more stressed you would grind your teeth more. Not saying that this poison doesnt effect your dential health too. Might very well. I had a couple a root canal since my crash and I also have excellent hygeine.

I tried it but it threw off my bite and caused more problems. The origin comes from clenched neck and back muscles when I sleep, travels all the way through the jaw. I haven’t had the problem as bad since I stopped working and spending 10hrs/day in front of the computer though so happy about that. Still have clenching in the shoulders and upper back when I sleep though.

martinM-

Thanks for your suggestions.

Also I need to make a correction…

Just realized that I typed “hyperthyroidism”…meant subclinical hypothyroidism. (My TSH was 4.88, but my T4 was normal).

I took propecia for about 6 months and stopped suddenly. I too have a constant dry mouth (especially in the morning), sensitive gums and somewhat of a white tongue. I wasn’t really thinking that stopping Propecia would do something like this. I have been under a lot of stress as of late which may be the cause for the mouth problems as well. If it is the drug, does this go away?