Progesterone/testosterone cream for erectile dysfunction

Finasteride decreases the amount of certain neurohormones drastically, especially allopregnanolone. It’s made from progesterone (now I know why my progesterone level was above the normal range while using finasteride), and I’ve therefore been doing some research. I read a post by a old man who had problems with his prostate, and he claimed that progesterone cream restored libido and morning erections. I’ve been reading some articles about menopause as well, and one of them claimed that progesterone was necessary to restore libido in women on estrogen therapy. Several sources claims that it’s a reductase inhibitor, but at the same time that it controls estrogen. Then I found this;

Progesterone/testosterone cream for erectile dysfunction

Has anyone tried progesterone cream?

Enden

you might recall my thread on TD progesterone on the other forum.

I’ve tried it and ive also taken micronised progesterone tablets with a little success. Nothing major.

Having read this i might give it another shot though.

Pregnenolone is a good thing to try too as it will trickle down in the hormonal chain to address progesterone deficiency where it exists, too.

Dr Hertoghne apparently kept a lid on his own minor finasteride sides by taking micronised progesterone (as it decreases estrogen).

I still think progesterone and pregnenolone have merit in treatment. I just haven’t got the cash.

I forgot about it, but read it again - great post! :slight_smile:

I would like to see someone try testosterone gel along with a progesterone gel, just like the patent suggest.
The old man I was talking about used 20 mg a day, and noticed improvement within 3 weeks, then he got some side effects - so you may be using way too much. In the patent, they’re probably talking about 5 - 50 mg progesterone a day - delivered transdermally. You’ll only get a fraction of that in your system.

I’m not so sure about pregnenolone. It depends on the path it takes. I fear that it’ll increase the estrogen level through DHEA.

This could be good. I know the only time my libido showed its head, sorry for the pun. Was when I was on arimidex. It only lasted for a few days. But I had strong feelings of desire, it faded after a few days and i felt bad. I realised I have low cortisol. I think it faded because i ran very low on cortisol. I am trying the same thing on pregnenelone and dhea. So far nothing. I have hope because I felt my libido, this means I am not fucked for good.

Perhaps I just need, a good ratio of free test/progesterone/free cortisol/estrogen to get my mojo back! Well so far I have fixed my energy/temp with adrenal support + pregnenelone. I know i have some more hormone issues because I have love handles and stuff.

I’ve recently experimented with a progesterone cream named Progesta-Care - the one for women. Stay away from the one for men, as it contains saw palmetto. My dose was 20 - 40 mg a day. The response was incredible. It increased libido significantly within a few days, the erections got hard, and I got a lot of spontaneous erections during the days! After a week or so, I had overdosed. I got aching testicles, a strange feeling in the penis - very similar to what I feel when my estrogen level is way too high, and my prostate hurt. Progesterone works as a reductase inhibitor as well, so that explains the last symptom. A Proviron pill relieved the pain both times. I paused the treatment for a couple of days when it happened the first time, and then it happened again after a dose of 20 mg. The cream is a lot more potent than I thought, and I recommend that you don’t use anymore than 20 mg a day, and stop the treatment when your sexual function improves. As for other effects, I had trouble sleeping, but I felt a lot better mentally!

Progesterone along with estrogen is the main hormone taken by male-to-female transgendered people due to its feminising effects, it is an anti-androgen of some description.

A bit surprising that “The response was incredible”, although some people experience negative effects when actually upping testosterone.

I was surprised too. The response was unexpected. Men needs progesterone as well. If I’m not mistaken, it works as an aromatase inhibitor and reductase inhibitor - and it has other functions, like increase the level of allopregnanolone. Keep in mind that my estrogen level already was fairly low, due to recent use of Arimidex. I paused treatment with Arimidex, and began experimenting with the progesterone cream when I felt that the estrogen level was too high. For those who don’t know; I’m on TRT - 50 mg TE twice a week.

Why would it increase allopregnenolone if its a “reductase” inhibitor.

That’s a very good question! A lot of sources claims that progesterone is a reductase inhibitor, so if that’s the case (which it appears to be according to my experience), the question would be - how does finasteride reduce the level of allopregnanolone - which is a metabolite of progesterone?

It looks like allopregnanolone is converted from progesterone through 5AR Type 1. It could be a 5AR Type 2 inhibitor only, but it still doesn’t explain how finasteride reduces the allopregnanolone level by up to 300% on average. Testosterone is converted to DHT via 5AR Type 1 as well - and maybe it has stronger affinity for 5AR Type 1 than progesterone. Blocking all the 5AR Type 2 enzymes, would probably put a lot of pressure on the 5AR Type 1 enzymes.

Because supplementing progesterone can cause a trickle down effect and increase other hormones down this hormonal path, also.

Progesterone -5aR(1&2)-> 5α-Dihydroprogesterone -3aHSD(1,2,3&4)-> Allopregnanolone

If you inhibit 5aR you will also decrease the amount of neuroactive steroids created by 3aHSD as per the above steroidgenesis description. Pretty basic stuff.

Given that allapregnenolone will in theory increase when progesterone is increased (basic hormone “laws”) then we could also expect an increase in allapregnenolone.

These effects should be much more direct than that which would be derived from any potential decrease from 5AR inhibition.

There result would depend on the net difference between the increase and decrease by both above mentioned mechanisms but my bet would be that allapregnenolone increases in quite a strong correlation to progesterone’s increase.

Everything I’ve read, says that allopregnanolone is metabolized through 5AR Type 1 only. Where did you read that it uses 5AR Type 2?

The studies section of this website (such as viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5478 amongst others).

Im guessing your getting 5apha-reductase and 5beta-reductase (which also makes neurosteroids) mixed up.

If you have information about allopregnanolone only being made by type-1 please post it (same also regarding its effects as an inhibitor of those enzymes).

He doesn’t mention anything about types of enzymes, and he’s not only talking about finasteride, but dual 5AR inhibitors like dutasteride too.
As I said, I can’t find any articles that claims that progesterone is metabolized through 5AR Type 2 - but I find a lot of articles (not studies) that claims it’s a natural reductase inhibitor (most likely type 2).

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7593415

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allopregnanolone

Finasteride treatment and neuroactive steroid formation.
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19655698

We know that finasteride affects neurohormones somehow, but it doesn’t mean that it has to be through the inhibition of 5AR Type 2!

Like I said, testosterone is converted to DHT through 5AR Type 1 as well. By inhibiting 5AR Type 2 - which is the primary enzyme for this metabolism, it’s likely that 5AR Type 1 will be affected as well - especially if testosterone has a higher affinity for 5AR Type 1 than progesterone. If that’s the case, it means that DHT would be prioritized over dihydroprogesterone! That said, we have a lot more testosterone in our bodies than progesterone, so it’s likely that more DHT than dihydroprogesterone (and other hormones) would be metabolized anyway - which would explain the effects on neurohormones.

A new look at the 5alpha-reductase inhibitor finasteride
onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1527-3458.2006.00053.x/pdf

Funnily enough I have found some evidence that suggests the above diagram may be wrong! Might post about it in another thread.