*** Post your VITAMIN D (25-OH / 25-hydroxyvitamin D) result

19.0 (32.0 - 100.0 ng/ml)

Date tested, November 4, 2011

I stopped taking Fin in June 2008.

Guys, Iā€™m no D3 expert but I noticed something interesting. My D3 reading is always borderline low (~30) despite supplementing with 2000 IU daily for many years. However, once my doctor tested D1,25 (calcitriol) instead of D25 (which is normally tested). My D1,25 was out of range on the high end (79: range 10-75. I have seen a study suggesting a better estimate for high end of range is only 45!).

Any Vitamin D experts here have any idea what that could mean, if anything? Has anyone else had D1,25 tested along with D25?

Here is a little background info I found on another siteā€¦

inspire.com/groups/stop-sarcoidosis/discussion/d1-25-calcitriol/

Interesting quote from a paperā€¦

autoimmunityresearch.org/preprints/ProalAnnals2009Preprint.pdf

Vitamind D is processed in liver to become 25-OHā€¦(calcidiol) and then goes to kidneys to become 1,25-diOHā€¦(calcitriol).

If people have low calcidiol it may mean that the liver is not processing Vitamin D effectively. If calcidiol is normal, but calcitriol is low, then there is a problem with the kidneys. Taking Vitamin D will not fix the problem as it will still not be processed correctly.

And if calcidiol is low and calcitriol is high?

Idk, thatā€™s weird. I would assume liver problem still though.

why donā€™t you test for liver detox pathways test.
I remember once The_ruffneck once did this test and he found problem with his liver.

worth reading these discussions

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1398&p=9938&hilit=liver#p9938
The_Ruffneck

Well i believe Saw P tripped out my liver.

Liver detoxification profile results

Phase 1 : Caffeine clearance (0.5-1.8 ml/min/kg) 2.7 HIGH
When Phase 1 activity is high there is increased metabolic activity at the intermediate phase (before the molecules are presented to phase 2 for conjugation).This results in increased production of free radicals and the potential for secondary tissue damage.

Phase II : Glutathionation (5.6% - 11.4%) 5.4 LOW
Responsible for detoxification of : Pesticides , Paracetemol , Toxic metals , Penicillin , Tetracycline , Petroleum , Alcohol

Sulphation (16-36%) 30%
Glucuronidation (27-56%) 29%
Glycination (30%-53%) 31%

Ratios
Sulphate:Glucuronide (0.3 - 0.7) 1.0 HIGH
Reflects relationship between sulphate and glucuronide.

Phase 1:Sulphation (3.5-13.0) 9.1

Phase 1 : Glycination (1.3-3.5) 8.6 HIGH
Phase 1 : Glucuronide (1.9-4.2) 9.1 HIGH
These two ratios reflect the relationship between Phase I and these conjugation (detox?) pathways and will demonstrate whether the biochemical load from Phase 1 is high or low.

Recommendations
St Marys Thistle , liver detox support tabs , CO-Q10 , multivitamin
Diet - LOW PROTEIN (Meat contains many enzymes and i have high enzyme levels as shown) , more wholegrain , fruit , vegetable etc

Where do you get that sort of liver test done?

altmedicine.about.com/od/labtestindexbyfocus/a/liver_detox.htm
How can I get a Detoxification Profile?
Talk to your health care professional about your symptoms and ask if this test would be useful for you. It can be done through:
Genova Laboratory or Metametrix Clinical Laboratory.

I think if ten of us do these tests, it will help us either make this theory valid or bury it for ever in the mud.

Any idea how much it cost?

Keep this thread on topic.

Mew I am confused here.

we are tested for 25-OH or 25-hydroxyvitamin D which is processed in the liver before converting to active form D3 or 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin.

almost all of us are low in 25-hydroxyvitamin D which means liver is low in vitamin D stores.
now how a person who is supplementing vitamin D3 can show more 25-hydroxyvitamin ? as is the case with bluejaysfan

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3420&hilit=vitamin+D&start=60
I was taking up to 8000 iu/day, figuring it could help.

1,25 HYDROXY VITAMIN D 173 range 30-120 pmol/L

I found the vitamin D helped my testicles - donā€™t really want to stop taking it altogether. 2000 i.u. maybe? Iā€™m confused.

Mods, go ahead and delete this post if you donā€™t want out of range high results here.

Hmm. So he is low in D25 and high in D1,25? My blood work showed the same. Apparently this is fairly unusual and indicative that something is wrong. Others should get D1,25 tested.

Date 2010/06/24

25 Hydroxy vitamin D 55 Deficiency <25 nmol / L
insufficiency 25 - 75 nmol / L
I had been on 6000IU since Dec 2009.
points to low levels of vitamin D in liver?

It could also point to too much D25 being converted to D1,25, which would suggest a kidney or autoimmune issue. Most ā€œvitamin Dā€ tests are D25 because doctors assume that if that is normal then D1,25 will be normal. A few other people need to get D25 and D1,25 tested at the same time.

good point but doctor does not write 1,25 dihydroxy or D3 tests.
have you tested it ?

Yes, my D1,25 was high and my D25 was low. That was two separate tests a few months apart though so I canā€™t say for sure that it is 100% accurate.

So, is it established that we should be supplementing vitamin D?
And if so, what kind should we be takingā€¦regular vitamin d or vitamin d3?

Mew, is it pretty much set in stone that markers for PFS are low/below range Vitamin D and 3a-diol-G? And which Vitamin D? 1 or 1, 25 diOH? Are there any other markers?

2011-10-12: Vitamin D 16.5 ng/mL (30.0-99.9)
2012-02-21: Vitamin D 36.6 ng/mL (30.0-99.9)

My new doctor (she rocks) put me on 50,000IU twice a week after getting my first results back.
Iā€™m currently using over the counter supplements, 2,000IU twice a day with fish oil.