Positive experience with GABA supplementation

Hi all, I was going to wait a week to see how things progress, but thought I would get the ball rolling after three nights of positive experiences. I include a little bit about me at the bottom and will elaborate more in another post when I have time, but I have a mountain of work on at the moment.

So, having previously accepted the whole “don’t bother with GABA supplements because they don’t cross the blood-brain barrier” (if you tell people this and warn them off of it without having tried it, please stop now), I found some posts on Reddit extolling its virtues and read some positive reviews on Amazon and thought “what do I have to lose”, other than another $20 to add to the hundreds or thousands I have spent on supplements over the last 3 years.

I ordered Puritan’s Pride 750mg GABA as it was the most legitimate looking one I could find available in the Latin American country where I am currently. I checked reviews for that brand online, saw people saying they had come back to it after trying others, and I ordered it.

On the first night I took it, I got this wave of warm fuzziness and relaxation through my body and though I only got 5 hours of sleep, they were restful hours, unlike my sleep for the past three years of PFS. I felt tired in the morning, but not the sort of total full body exhaustion I have grown used to when making up, more the sort of “I haven’t quite slept enough” feeling I would get when I slept for that amount of time pre-PFS. I should note, I have had sleeping issues since I was a teenager, so that is not an unusual feeling for me, just one I haven’t had for years. I also woke up with a rock hard boner, the sort that just won’t go away, like old times. It remained for a good 30 minutes after waking. This has not happened to me since PFS struck. I should note that night I also drank a beer before taking it and used Passiflora, a locally available anti-anxiety natural remedy, and took melatonin. However, I have been using both of those things for weeks with no such effects.

On the second night, I found it slightly harder to get to sleep, but I woke up again feeling refreshed and again with a rock hard boner. Having previously found that I wake up either around 6 or 7 if I have got to sleep by 2, or after about 5 hours after I manage to get to sleep, with no possibility of getting back to sleep, I woke up around 7.45, I think after a good 6.5 hours of sleep, again feeling refreshed in a way I have not felt for years. Again I used Passiflora.

On the third night, last night, I found it about as difficult as usual to get to sleep (though nothing out of the ordinary for my pre-PFS sleeping), but again I woke up feeling refreshed and with a boner. Not initially as hard as the days before, until I touched it and it got that hard. This morning, I actually managed to drift back off to sleep for another hour. This has not been a possibility for me for my entire time with PFS. I also took melatonin, Passiflora and also drank a “bed time” tea at about 1.15 am because I was still having trouble sleeping.

So far the experience has been very very positive, and while it seems that my body must have got used to the GABA since the initial dose really did help me get to sleep, it appears that it is having an enormous effect on my sleep quality. Basically, I don’t think it is something that I can rely on to get me to sleep, but it appears to be having a massively positive effect on my sleep quality and the morning wood is very welcome.

I will continue to report back in the coming days. I hope so much that it continues to have benefits for my sleep quality and delivering morning wood, because this has not happened for years.

A final note, I have read many reviews from people saying it is effective for them and others saying it does nothing, so please don’t read this and think it definitely will help or be upset with me if you try it and it doesn’t. But having not bothered with it after finding so many other supps have been a waste of money, and so many people on here saying it is useless, I am now filled with regret for not giving it a try sooner. So perhaps it works for some people and not for others.

If you are going to respond to this with something about how it doesn’t cross the BBB and therefore I must be talking crap (i.e. you are going to call me a liar – I know how some people are on this forum) please save your fingers and don’t risk putting off someone who might also benefit from this. Though I would say, if you are reading this and it sounds interesting to you, give it a few more days. I will report back to let you know how I go.

I have had PFS for 3 years, and experienced a major crash at the beginning of 2018. I have done water fasting, weights, strict diets, supplements, all sorts, and I have gone through periods of improvement and periods of worsening. I have previously contributed to this forum under other names, but I have lost my passwords to my accounts because I always sign up with an email specifically for using this forum and, having moved around a lot and lived in four countries during this time, and having often taken long breaks from the forum (I am back again after about 5 months away) because it does make me feel more ill when I am constantly reading it, and also having a memory like a sieve for the past two years, I have repeatedly forget the email address or passwords. I have now stored this email address and used a password I will never forget for this account. I will write about this in more detail later, when I have time.

5 Likes

I’m glad you got a positive experience out of the supplement. I hope it stays working for you. Can I ask what your old username was so we can all see your progress and stories? Maybe the admins and I can help with the password situation, too (obviously under private messaging).

Hi Jaime,

I was Jack82 and WeCanBeatThis at different moments.

@tisho1012 has met me in person and I have previously exchanged some PMs with @Chapman (I sent you the gut dysbiosis diet sheets about a year ago, if you are reading this) so hopefully they can vouch for me on this.

I was also once UKPFS, but that account doesn’t seem tagable so must have disappeared

If there is any way of consolidating these accounts, passing all posts over to this one, I would be very happy for that. I do not want anyone to think I am a multi account holder on purpose. I no longer have access to any of those accounts.

2 Likes

Thank you for the information.Sorry if I came off as suspicious, but that was not my intention. I totally understand the loss of passwords thing. I’ll message you in a bit with some help to merge things.

Thanks for sharing your experience and I hope those improvements remain! Have you found any help with cognitive/emotional flattening symptoms?

I have had unrefreshing sleep for many years plus no morning wood. Think I will try this. Also have terrible anxiety after stopping clonazepam

2 Likes

Absolutely no need to aplogise, I completely understand why you would be curious and I think it is a very reasonable question. I was going to mention all of that regarding previous accounts in the next post that I said would write. You have saved me the need to do that by asking.

Honestly, I have not felt as good as I do right now in years. This morning I drank coffee because I was a little tired in the normal morning way, not totally and utterly exhausted, as I have grown used to feeling in the morning.

I hope so much it continues and I hope that you might be able to see similar positive benefits @Lostinaustin. I am sure that my lack of proper restful sleep have contributed massively to my poor memory, focus and concentration, which have been debilitating over the past two years.

I have a bottle of the same brand on the way

No solid morning wood this morning, but there was some movement in the area (rather than it just being dead rubber). I also got up at about 4am to go for a piss, so wonder if that had any influence (I have read before that a full bladder contributes to it, though I understand it is more related to the REM stage).

Either way, while I woke up twice in the night, I think I was asleep by about 12.15 and woke up at 7.45, with maybe only 15 minutes of wakefulness during the night, so that gives me over 7 hours of sleep and again I feel more like the old sort of tired than the PFS sort of shattered this morning.

I drank the bed time tea, had a dose of passiflora (had another when I woke up at 4) and took melatonin, too.

I actually think I am going to remove the melatonin from the mix, as I found in the past while that allowed me to get to sleep, it only allowed me to sleep for about 4 hours, so I might see how I go tonight without it.

Nevertheless, sleep quality seems to continue to be improved.

Pretty much the same as yesterday, the persistent morning wood has gone, although it was there when I woke, and while I woke up a couple of times in the night, I was able to get back to sleep fairly quickly and sleep quality seems to continue to be improved. Slept from around 12.45 or 1 till around 07:45. Pre PFS my standard natural sleep duration was 7.5 hours, but post PFS reduced to 4 or 5, often with no chance of sleeping again if I wake in the night, so it continues to be positive.

@5ariWillGetBetter Good to hear your experience bro, pls keep us updated. I wonder if your body is getting used to the supp and maybe thats why your morning wood is getting less and less. Until it maybe completely dissapears aagain, lets hope it does do that. Still I wonder whats going to happen thelonger you use it, and whats going to happen if you suddenly come off it? Will it get worse or stay the same…

I meant to say is ‘‘Lets hope it does NOT do that’’

I sometimes use Taurine. Is there any reason one may be better than the other (gaba) as I believe Taurine promotes this. Thanks.

1 Like

Slept around 6.5 hours last night, then another half an hour or so after initially waking, this continues to be an improvement on waking up exhausted but with no hope of getting back to sleep. I also need to stop fucking around on a game I recently downloaded on my phone before going to sleep.

However, I should note that, while I don’t feel like the GABA is helping me get to sleep, I have not resorted to guided meditation once in these past days, when previously I was reliant on it because my mind would be racing, so maybe I am wrong. It certainly doesn’t have the sort of “okay my brain is shutting down and I am going to sleep now” effect that actual sleeping tablets do.

The morning wood seems to be the same for the past three mornings, it isn’t a rock hard boner, more just movement in that area, which becomes much harder with a little bit of manual stimulation. I realised yesterday that in the past couple of days I had not been taking the maca supplement I have recently been taking and took that yesterday afternoon in the hope it had contributed and would do so again. But same results. I am going to take the maca when I go to bed tonight to see if that does have any effect, because I have definitely seen positive benefits in terms of erection quality from maca, I have just found that they don’t hold, so I take it for a few days, stop, repeat.

I am going to take it again tonight, taking me up to a full week, and then tomorrow go without and see what my sleep is like. I am then thinking of taking it on Tuesday after getting up, having seen a review on Amazon saying they felt more benefit from doing that, just to see how that goes.

@UKContributor I have a bunch of Taurine back in the UK (I am away for an extended period at the moment) and was popping that at a point when I was just throwing anything that sounded helpful into my body, so I couldn’t really isolate its effects or tell you why GABA might be better or the same.

Thanks for the reply. Does this help with sexual sensation symptoms at all?

I found Taurine did in the initial days then stops, whereas Theanine (I mention these as I think both influence Gaba) reliably makes me feel kind of warm and fuzzy but totally overrides any sort of sexual pleasure.

For nocturnal erections I use a combination of things of which I think Zinc, Arginine, Vitamin D and maybe Taurine generally help but I tend to get nocturnals at the end of the night rather than during. Before taking these I was reliably getting none at all.

From the volume of supplements you mention you may have been down this road already though.

I have certainly been down the Argenine road and felt it helped, if I had some here I would likely try popping that in the evening. In fact now you mention, I will probably look to get hold of some.

Something that did once help immensely, though I stopped doing it for fear of unwanted negative side effects, was megadoses of zinc, which I did after reading a post on another site, which I believe no longer exists. But in it this guy suggested there are two types of PFS, one which responds well to 5ar increasers such as creatine and one which responds well to 5ar inhibitors such as zinc. I got onto that after taking creatine before the gym one time and having an awful awful time, I had to turn around and go home and collapse on my bed for the rest of the day, it significantly worsened my condition. Just had a look and this post from PH seems to be saying the same thing, though it is not the one I originally read, which was on a site I can’t even remember the name of and which I am sure I bookmarked in the past and disovered at some point later that it had disappeared. Basically, I did what this suggested and took 200mg of zinc and experienced strong erections. At that point I was experiencing cold almost numb genitals, almost no sensitivity and almost no sensation from orgasm, so I think I did this two or three times, but I stopped for fear of what might happen. I am not suggesting you or anyone does it, I am just relaying my experience. I will likely take a normal dose of zinc (10mg) before bed tonight, as I haven’t taken any today.

Regarding the gaba, now that you mention sensation, I actually think that I have noted some enhanced sensation this past week, but I had also noted some general improvements in that area in recent weeks or months and I didn’t want to go attributing it to the gaba if it is not related. I am wary of being overly enthusiastic and pinning too many positive effects to it.

Can GABA taken as a tablet pass through BBB in the brain? Does anyone know about this?

Did you not read the original post?

Oh, sorry.
Now I used a more professional translator and saw your text. I personally think fina has dropped my dopamine levels. Therefore, I thought GABA could pass my BBB as well. This is a personal conjecture that I believe will only apply to me.

Sorry, I didn’t consider the fact you were using a translator.

In case it wasn’t totally clear, I said that people on this forum and on other websites say it does not cross the BBB and tell people not to use it.

But other people report positive effects. So I tried it and certainly experienced positive effects, although after two nights of very good effects, helping me to get to sleep, it stopped having as much of an effect, but I still feel it is giving me better quality sleep.