Our friend AnhedonicApe has passed away

Another senseless loss. Another brain destroyed by a prescription drug. May he rest in peace. My condolences to his family and friends.

3 Likes

people are dying and itā€™s no joke.

Poor guy.

RIP :sob:

4 Likes

I spoke with him a few times on Propeciahelp about methylation. He always came across as a strong level headed guy. I honestly thought he was coping and trying to get better. Itā€™s just sickening how innocent lives are being lost over medications.

He deserved so much better than this.
This condition can be brutal and his passing is another reminder that we need to be doing more to find a cure.

5 Likes

This is really terrible :(, RIP. Some people seem very stoic and donā€™t always share the level of hurt inside.

Guys, please letā€™s support each other and encourage each other that no matter how awful the situation, thereā€™s always things we can do.

5 Likes

He was definitely stoic on here from what I remember.

1 Like

I hope we can channel our anger at drug companies into getting organized and doing our part, which is to stop waiting for others to come rescue us (which will never happen because they have no incentive), and now finally do what we need to do, which is to get serious and tackle this thing.

We need to get organized, we need to give people who are working for us what they need (data, stories, reports, anything possible), we need to act mature and serious as well as sober (I.e., not like nut jobs and hypochondriacs), and we need to get the word out. Itā€™s not the drug companiesā€™ fault anymore. Itā€™s OURā€™S

If all we do is sit and bitch we lose another 10 years, same as the last, making no progress. Now needs to be different. The reason people are dropping is that they can see that we donā€™t make progress. Thatā€™s us. There is so much more we could do. Sitting and crying isnā€™t acceptable anymore.

12 Likes

May he rest in peace.
Iā€™m so sorry I couldnā€™t say a good word to him. Iā€™m really sorryā€¦

5 Likes

I am so very sorry that we collectively could not give him the strength to keep on going. It makes me angry that the pharma industry just considers us as collateral damage, the price to pay for doing good business. May our collective efforts result in a positive change in direction (soon), so we can hopefully avoid such tragedies in the future. I wish to express my heartfelt condolences to his family. Hang in there guys, please.

19 Likes

I wonder if a thread for reasons to not give up would be a good idea. It might be too hard to manage and keep clean. But when most of the forum content is basically negative it might be good if there was one place people could go for clarity on reasons to maintain optimism. Not that we would want Awor to sacrifice more of his time on creating one. I mean for others to create. If anyone wants me to do it let me know. If people sent me reasons in private messages then I could try to put them all together into one post to start it off. However, I would not be able to moderate the thread long term to make sure it stays on topic and clean enough to serve intended purpose simply because I am not regular enough to assume moderator type dutiesā€¦

5 Likes

I think this thread to not give up hope is a good idea.

There should be philosophical arguments for not giving up but also things people can do to feel better and boost their mood, i.eā€¦

Cold showers
Tibetan singing bowls
Emotional support animals (overlooked)
Walking in nature
Cardio
Weights
Floatation tanks / sensory deprivation
Wim Hof breathing
Meditation
Swimming

2 Likes

Well, I think thereā€™s already a thread for things that make people feel better, though maybe a more official one could be created. I am talking about North Stars for people to keep in mind when overwhelmed with negativity. Maybe, for example, AnhedonicApe was waiting for some one thing to arrive and then it never did (e.g., Baylor or Sage) and when that happened he just didnā€™t have enough hope left to sustain living. Maybe we should provide such a list that is easy to access and centralized so people can more readily have more to buoy their spirits or provide rational basis to continue enduring suffering. Of course, it would be critical for the list to be trustworthy, rather than full of unrealistic hopium, rendering it easily dismissed.

Unfortunately, those of us most severely affected cannot walk without injury, even a light exercise would blow my hip or knee. Unfortunately, meditation is of little use when you have work memory problems so serious that you donā€™t even remember how your face is made or how you are dressed. God only knows how much strength I am using in my struggle for survival. I am against the gesture of AnedinicApe, but I donā€™t blame him. Unfortunately, when the situation becomes truly disabling, at the level that you can no longer walk, go on a picnic, work ā€¦ It becomes difficult to find a reason to fight, also because osteoporosis is irreversible and when you are 20 years old you carry it all your life.

1 Like

You have bone loss???

Rest in peace

I truly wish we had some motivational content for people that feel really down.
when I feel really terrible I watch something to keep my mind off of things.

Lets create a post and ping it to top motivational content. So that we donā€™t have any more suicides.

1 Like

Yes, I have

I think we need to know how long guys with severe symptoms are able to survive before committing suicide.

Call this a safety marker but we need to know. It needs to be discussed with Drs when guys are bad so they are aware of the risk and timeframes leading to suicide. It might speed up Drs level of care if the timeframe from crash to suicide was short. Without this we are living with a hidden enemy which should no longer be the case.

AA seemed to survive 2 years before he took his own life. By all accounts he was a very strong person so itā€™s a real concern that he could only survive 2 years and should serve as warning to the rest of us. We could do with knowing the severity of the cases who took their own lives. There maybe a connection such as physical disability, being house bound etc.

Guys experimenting with protocols also need to understand the symptoms that are drivers to suicide. It might make people more cautious in future if they knew their protocol could cause symptoms that are common with suicide.

We simply donā€™t know enough about these suicides and the main drivers that push people past the point of no return.
Solving suicide is not as easy as following a tick list of activities otherwise Drs would have figured this out by now.

Coming to terms with your new found disability is more important than trying to mask over the pain with a motivational video etc. If you cannot deal with the loss or the acceptance of your condition I think it will eventually eat away at your mental state. Therefore this needs to be a priority in future recommendations.

This forum IMHO is simply not able to cater for the seriously affected. I still feel there needs to be a pinned post in the coping section on resources for depression and links to other forums.
Also a survival guide for dealing with the changes that have occurred.

Reading the comments on here itā€™s clear that the drivers to suicide are still miss understood.

There are usually patterns of behaviour that people follow before suicide. There needs to be pinned information on this so people can be aware if they starting developing these and go and get help.

Life goes on with or without a Baylor study or a Sage drug. These should not be reasons to prevent someone from committing suicide. If they are then I donā€™t think the person has learned to accept their new condition. Itā€™s just another sticking plaster and these donā€™t work long term.

If you want to post motivational videos donā€™t start with some jacked dude running up a hill or a Tedtalk by someone whose greatest adversity was choosing Starbucks over Costa for their morning Coffee.
Start with people who have learned to live with severe disabilities and how they adapted to their new life. Watching something like this in itself is a first step to accepting your condition, itā€™s a harsh reality.

Mental health issues donā€™t usually happen overnight they take time to grow inside and slowly eat away at your soul.

For the guys unable to work or are stuck at home you need meaningful human contact possibly on a daily basis like taking a drug for mood or happiness.
So find an outlet or various outlets. Talking with family or the same person daily is not enough. This needs to be part of your survival protocol.
Even if you feel youā€™re ok like I said mental health will eat away at you slowly so donā€™t give it that chance.

Remember when you could work or study you had human contact 5 days a week. That loss needs replacing. Human beings are pack animals we need to be around other human beings for good mental health. Posting stuff online or having keyboard conversations are not enough.
Itā€™s no surprise that AnhehdonicApe took his life over Xmas itā€™s a big risk period in the year for suicide.

AnhehdonicApe was a strong minded guy but this condition still got to him. We need to be having positive discussions looking forward rather than living in the past or having discussions on suicide that simply condition the mind to death.

If we want to change suicide we need to change our approach because this current format simply isnā€™t working. Sorry for the long post and apologies in advance if any offence has been caused. We need community to survive trauma not isolation.

11 Likes

Everything you say is right. Unfortunately I have found very little to discourage my suicide that works. I think Iā€™ll be another AnhedonicApe soon.

No one wants to die but I canā€™t continue living a nightmare. Itā€™s only a few seconds of terror then blackness, no more pain ever again. I honestly feel like I have no other option if I donā€™t get better.

I assure you. I look forward to the day I finally kill myself. Telling me to wait for studies and cures isnā€™t going to change that. Maybe some of your suggestions would but who knows.

Sad my death is worth it to the Merck CEOs so they can swim in tubs of endless money. I just wanted a good life Merck, I wanted girls to like me and I thought you could help me. Instead youā€™ve effectively killed everything I enjoyed about life and made suicide my only final goal in life.

I know a lot say wait you might get better but I still deal with the shame of permanently altering my brain and body in ways people canā€™t even prove how, thatā€™s terrifying to me. I honestly just want it to end, some of us were already suicidal like myself before fin so imagine nowā€¦ Im literally devastated Iā€™ll never get to see the future. God if only I had never taken that fin pill.

4 Likes

Omg RIP brother :frowning: he was very active.

1 Like

Do not loose hope before trying every option brother, hang in there.

1 Like

Above is a prime example of someone who doesnā€™t realise the severity range in terms of sufferers in terms of what they are ā€œableā€ to do physically at the end point of this syndromeā€¦

It would be nice if it were that easy to just c ok continue exercising as some as myself were marathoners who cannot even mow their own lawns anymore without becoming deathly illā€¦

6 Likes