Where are you from (country)?
How did you find this forum (Google search – if so, what search terms? Via link from a forum or website – if so, what page? Other?)
Search on Google for the following words: “propecia low libido”
What is your current age, height, weight?
33, 5ft 10, 85kg
Do you excercise regularly? If so, what type of excercise?
Yes, cardio and light weights at least twice per week
What type of diet do you eat (vegetarian, meat eater, raw, fast-food/organic healthy)?
High protein, low carb diet
Why did you take Finasteride (hair loss, BPH, other)?
For how long did you take Finasteride (weeks/months/years)?
Around 9 - 10 years
How old were you, and WHEN (date) did you start Finasteride?
How old were you when you quit, and WHEN (date) did you quit?
Quit on 01/10/2010
How did you quit (cold turkey or taper off)?
Tapered off by taking half a tablet for one month, then quit completely
What type of Finasteride did you use – Propecia, Proscar, Fincar or other generic?
1mg Propecia then eventually opted for a cheaper generic version
What dose did you take (eg. 1 mg/day, 1 mg every other day etc.)?
1mg per day
How long into your use of Finasteride did you notice the onset of side effects?
No noticeable side effects for the first 10 years
What side effects did you experience while on the drug that have yet to resolve since discontinuation?
Eventually noticed erectile dysfunction and a decrease in libido. At this point I quit the drug but the sides still persisted and in fact got much worse after quitting.
Put an X beside all that apply:
Loss of Libido / Sex Drive
Loss of Morning Erections
Loss of Spontaneous Erections
Loss of Nocturnal Erections
Inability to Ejaculate / Orgasm
Reduced Sperm Count / Motility
Emotional Blunting / Emotionally Flat
Difficulty Focusing / Concentrating
Memory Loss / Forgetfullness
Stumbling over Words / Losing Train of Thought
Slurring of Speech
Lack of Motivation / Feeling Passive / Complacency
Extreme Anxiety / Panic Attacks
Depression / Melancholy
Penile Tissue Changes (narrowing, shrinkage, wrinkled)
Penis curvature / rotation on axis
Testicular Shrinkage / Loss of Fullness
Genital numbness / sensitivity decrease
Gynecomastia (male breasts)
Dry / Dark Circles under eyes
Persistent Fatigue / Exhaustion
Stomach Pains / Digestion Problems
Constipation / “Poo Pellets”
Vision - Acuity Decrease / Blurriness
Increased hair loss
Lowered body temperature
Other (please explain)
- What (if any) treatments have you undertaken to recover from your side effects since discontinuation of the drug?
- Cialis (for bloodflow)
- Levitra (for bloodflow)
- Viagra (for bloodflow)
- BCAA Branched Chained Amino Acids (may boost genital sensitivity, help neurotransmitters and control cortisol)
- Whey proteins (may help with post workout recovery)
- Sustain Alpha, Toco-8 and Endoamp (may help boost testosterone production)
- Cissus Quadrangularis (may help boost testosterone)
- Longjack, Maca, Yohimbe/Yohimbine (may help boost testosterone production)
- Triple Ginseng (may help boost testosterone production)
- Ashwaganda ( may help to control cortisol levels)
- Ejaculoid (may help boost with bloodflow and erections)
- L-Arginine, L-Ornithine, L-Lysine combo (may help with firmer erections)
- L-Arginine and Pycnogenol (may help boost bloodflow)
- GABA (may help promote better sleep)
- Ester C, Vitamin E and Valerina before bedtime (may help promote better sleep)
- Magnesium (for erection strength)
- ZMA and more recently, ZMK (for better sleep)
- Hawaiian noni juice (may help boost immune system)
- Saw palmetto (to help my prostrate but it in fact made me worse)
- Primordial Performance Liver juice (may help with liver function but I noticed that the pain in my prostrate was a lot worse after taking this)
- If you have pre or post-Finasteride bloodtests, what hormonal changes have you encountered since discontinuing the drug (pls post your test results in the “Blood Tests” section and link to them in your post)?
Blood tests immediately after quitting propecia showed elevated prolactin levels. This has now dropped down to normal range.
LH/RH test was normal.
Testosterone levels normal however I have not had bioavailable testosterone tested.
Waiting on further blood tests for estradiol etc.
- Anything not listed in the above questions you’d like to share about your experience with Finasteride?
Thanks to everyone on this site. Your posts have helped me to get through the past 6 months.
I would say out of all the supplements that I have tried, the best has been BCAA (Branched Chained Amino Acids) and some Cialis/Levitra when required.
Also I found that GABA helped to promote better sleep.
- Tell us your story, in your own words, about your Finasteride usage and side effects experienced while on/off the drug.
Immediately after qutting the poison drug, my symptoms improved but then I experienced a crash around 1 month later.
I had severe anxiety, couldn’t sleep, prostate pain etc. All these symptoms have improved slightly but I still have not recovered.
Since quitting the poison, my libido has slowly but surely dwindled.
Still have some prostrate pain and shrinkage.
Quality of sleep is still poor along with the other side effects such as low libido, soft erections etc.
Cannot believe that this drug is still legal. Crazy.