Movies with Mitch

Has anyone tried watching The Expanse?
It’s a sci-fi series based 200 years or so in the future about the struggles of mankind.
It does have some alien elements that tie the plot all together but it’s mainly focused on the politics between, mars, earth and the belter (asteroid miner) colonies. The struggles of humanity in certain situations.

It’s one of the most accurate Sci-Fi shows in regards to physics as far as I’ve been told, there’s no force fields around ships, no magic gravity generator and they use rail guns as weapons etc. they’re something that we could possibly have in the future.

It’s on Amazon Prime, it’s not for eveyone but I certainly enjoyed it.

2 Likes

Haven’t seen that, but it sounds awesome!

1 Like

Title: Into the Wild
Genre: Drama/Adventure
Cast: Emile Hirsch, Marcia Gay Harden, William Hurt, Kristen Stewart, Vince Vaughn, Jena Malone, Catherine Keener
Directed by: Sean Penn
Screenplay by: Sean Penn, based on the book by Jon Krakauer
Summary :

What a polarising movie. For some, Christopher McCandless is an intrepid adventurer who frees himself from society’s shackles in a bid to live a truly free life. For others, he is stupid, tragic and inconsiderate, and far too binary in his assessment of his environment and others around him. He applies a strict moral code to everyone he meets while failing to recognise that life is mostly shades of grey. Whatever he was in reality, this movie is a great tale about finding yourself: your values, your sense of self, your life.

If you haven’t seen Into the Wild, I highly recommend it. Sean Penn as a director does a great job turning a story about a guy many would consider a drifting vagrant into a romanticised tale about breaking free from society’s expectations. That guy is McCandless, who after graduating from university in 1990 donated $25,000 in savings to UNICEF and disappeared from his family and friends without a trace. Disillusioned with society having grown up in an upper middle-class household with an abusive, domineering father, McCandless renames himself Alexander Supertramp, and travels across North America. The film documents his main adventures, like working for a contracting harvesting company in South Dakota, where he meets Wayne Westerburg (Vaughn), who eventually gets arrested by the FBI for satellite piracy. In a small town working on the land, Vaughn explains to him that society is just a construct made up of good and bad people, good and bad things. He kayaks down rivers, lives in hippy communes, and meets an old army veteran who lost his wife and child many years ago. Each teach him something valuable, influence his growth as a man and views of the world. But ultimately, his goal is to live alone in the Alaskan bush. The wild. Once he hitchhikes there, he travels completely unprepared into the Alaskan bush where he intends to stay in solitary.

Emile Hirsch is (was?) a fantastic actor and does a tremendous job portraying McCandless. Sometimes the script could be accused of over romanticising his character while not drawing more attention to his obvious flaws, and how he perceives the world around him. The supporting cast is phenomenal. The cinematography is amazing, particularly if you’re a fan of the outdoors. The script, while slowly paced in places, always does a good job of providing meaning.

I remember watching this movie without PFS when I was barely 18 and it had a real effect on what I viewed as important. I remember doing things at the time that I thought I should be doing, but that really weren’t that important to me. At the time it made me laugh and cry, sometimes within minutes of each other. It’s heartbreaking to see someone who was so intent on living alone finally realise that life is all about connection, but only when it’s too late. Even with PFS, I still thoroughly enjoyed it.

Definitely worth a watch.

Score : 9/10

6 Likes

Really good movie indeed. For me it’s a tragic story(especially because it was based on the real events) of not finding your place in life and missing some important steps in maturing. The cinematography is definitely of high level.

What did it change for you in your 18, Mitch(if it’s not personal)?

What’s the verdict on the new Batman movie? So far I’m hearing… too long, too introspective, but great cinematography and music.

I thought it was alright tbh. Nothing special but a worthwhile watch. I can imagine feeling disappointed if you had sky high expectations though.

1 Like

I found it overlong and boring. Characters were one dimensional and the whole thing was sinfully predictable.Then again I’m not a superhero fan.

1 Like

I heard Batman was good but now I’m changing my mind.

I’ve been rewatching The Wire lately and holy shit it is good. After rewatching The Sopranos last year I think I can safely say that I rank The Wire ahead, and as my favourite TV show of all time. It’s really hard to find any fault with it.

The casting is so good that you can’t imagine any of the actors playing anyone else. The overall performances are top-tier, which is so rare from an ensemble cast. Idris Elba as Stringer and Michael K Williams as Omar are mesmorising. David Simon creates this universe where everything is connected, all the puzzle pieces fit together, and every action has consequences. That’s so rare for such an expansive show. Normally once you zoom out from a set of characters to another, shows become convoluted, lost and shallow.

Storylines build slowly throughout the show, and they aren’t always paid off in the same season. A great example is watching McNulty become introspective about his arrogant, self-serving, narcissistic behaviour…only by dating an arrogant, self-serving narcissist. It’s just fucking poetry.

I love that The Wire is the purest version of art imitating life possible. Everything breaks in The Wire. Nobody is safe, and not in a “we killed you off just to kill you off” kind of way. Every arrest, death, career suicide or assassination happens for a reason, and is exactly how it would happen in reality. Nobody survives the drug game, except the people not dealing with drugs directly, so you have to see the rise and fall, the cyclical nature of it all.

They also do an amazing job of making you love and hate characters, exposing their hypocrisy and duality. Wee Bey is a psychopathic, misogynistic mass murderer, but he’s funny as shit. He’s like a child with his fish tanks. It makes you forget for a minute that he’s a total piece of shit. It’s incredible.

If you haven’t watched The Wire, go watch it. Immediately.

Also David Simon has another show coming out soon called We Own This City. After a few forays into new territory, this looks like a return to his roots. A show about a corrupt police unit in Baltimore.

6 Likes

Co-sign everything you said about The Wire. This is my favorite show of all time.

Anyone watching Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty? I’ve watched the first two episodes so far. If there’s any basketball fans in here I definitely recommend it.

Here’s a brief description:

“Dramatic miniseries about the glitz and glamour of 1980s Los Angeles and the rise of the NBA’s Lakers, Dr. Jerry Buss and Magic Johnson.”

As a cinephile I love the idea of this thread. I’ll just list some movies I really like. Watching a good movie is a good way of escaping negative thoughts. Here’s my list.

American Psycho
The Rules of Attraction
Boogie Nights
Don’t Look Up
Wall Street
Body Double
Mulholland Drive
American Beauty
Almost Famous
The Departed
Django Unchained
Mr. Nobody
The Way Way Back (not a typo)
Swingers
The Mist
The Graduate
Dumb and Dumber
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective
Vertigo
Lost Highway
The Harry Potter Series
Love & Basketball
He Got Game

I’ll add more as I can think of them

5 Likes

That’s a great list. Some of my favourite films in there - American Psycho, The Departed, Boogie Nights, American Beauty.

2 Likes

Great list. Almost Famous might just be my favorite.

1 Like

So many good picks… Mulholland Drive, boogie nights, American psycho…

If you like The Departed, i recommend seeing the Hong Kong action movie it was based on - Infernal Affairs.

2 Likes

Infernal Affairs is a fucking banger.

Awesome I’ll be sure to check that out

Not entirely a “favorites list” as I’m leaving out some obvious masterpieces (LOTR trilogy comes to mind and some Tarantino flicks) and a bunch of other movies that have been mentioned before…

Just some cool or interesting movies I’ve seen that stuck with me and I would highly recommend, in no particular order or categorization.

Alien
Amelie
The Thing
Blade Runner
Brazil
12 Monkeys
Real Time
Tsotsi
The Host (Korean 2006)
In Bruges
Moon
Memento
The Prestige
Pan’s Labyrinth
The Perks of Being A Wallflower
Children Of Men
District 9
Slumdog Millionaire
Hero (Yīngxióng)
A Touch of Sin
Drive
Parasite
Dune (2021)

I also have a soft spot for cinebizarre / obscure / indie / foreign language cinema in particular so if any of you knows any good ones do let me know!

I also like Sci-Fi and ‘cool idea’ movies in general.
Being a visual arts oriented person, sometimes I just like movies because of how they look, so if you remember any visual gems in any way please share!

3 Likes

Excellent taste in sci-fi!

Children of Men is so underrated…

3 Likes

I watched《 Shawshank’s redemption》 again yesterday. I was really immersive this time.

In the film, Andy wrote a letter to the State Council every week asking them to expand the prison library. He wrote it for six years before he got a reply.

Hahaha, I think I can do the same. I will write my weekly shit on the letter every Friday and send it to those fools of the drug administration on Saturday,

guys, I’m not going to add my phone number. I need their serious written reply. What should I ask them to do in the letter?

Minimum requirements: find the best doctor for me and make a free penile prosthesis?:dog:

:slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

You might have a look at the movies by A24 films. For me this studio is a definition of cinebizarre and strong visual style.
It follows,The Green Knight, Ex Machina, Under the Silver Lake, and many others.

Perhaps, also sci-fi like Annihilation nad Arrival.

1 Like