Moonman1's story

1. Where are you from (country)? USA

2. How did you find this forum (Google search – if so, what search terms? Via link from a forum or website – if so, what page? Other?) google or musclechatroom

3. What is your current age, height, weight? 24, 170, 5’11

4. Do you excercise regularly? If so, what type of excercise? kinda, sports some lifting

5. What type of diet do you eat (vegetarian, meat eater, raw, fast-food/organic healthy)? fairly healthy. medium carbs, meat, etc

6. Why did you take Finasteride (hair loss, BPH, other)? prostate

7. For how long did you take Finasteride (weeks/months/years)? 2 years on and off

8. How old were you, and WHEN (date) did you start Finasteride? 18?

9. How old were you when you quit, and WHEN (date) did you quit? 20?

10. How did you quit (cold turkey or taper off)? cold (but i also took it after the crash many times)

11. What type of Finasteride did you use – Saw Palmetto

12. What dose did you take (eg. 1 mg/day, 1 mg every other day etc.)? 1mg/day

13. How long into your use of Finasteride did you notice the onset of side effects? when i quit

14. What side effects did you experience while on the drug that have yet to resolve since discontinuation? all

Put an X beside all that apply:

Sexual
[ xxxxx] Loss of Libido / Sex Drive
[x ] Erectile Dysfunction
[ ] Complete Impotence
[ x] Loss of Morning Erections
[ x] Loss of Spontaneous Erections
[ x] Loss of Nocturnal Erections
[ ] Watery Ejaculate
[ ] Reduced Ejaculate
[ ] Inability to Ejaculate / Orgasm
[ ] Reduced Sperm Count / Motility

Mental
[ x] Emotional Blunting / Emotionally Flat
[ x] Difficulty Focusing / Concentrating
[ x] Confusion
[ x] Memory Loss / Forgetfullness
[ x] Stumbling over Words / Losing Train of Thought
[ ] Slurring of Speech
[ x] Lack of Motivation / Feeling Passive / Complacency
[ x] Extreme Anxiety / Panic Attacks
[ ]x Depression / Melancholy

Physical
[ x] Penile Tissue Changes (narrowing, shrinkage, wrinkled)
[ ] Penis curvature / rotation on axis
[ ] Testicular Pain
[ x] Testicular Shrinkage / Loss of Fullness
[ x] Genital numbness / sensitivity decrease
[ ] Weight Gain
[ ] Gynecomastia (male breasts)
[ x] Muscle Wastage
[ x] Muscle Weakness
[ ] Joint Pain
[x ] Dry / Dark Circles under eyes

Misc
[ x] Prostate pain
[ x] Persistent Fatigue / Exhaustion
[ ] Stomach Pains / Digestion Problems
[ ] Constipation / “Poo Pellets”
[ ] Vision - Acuity Decrease / Blurriness
[ ] Increased hair loss
[ x] Frequent urination
[ x] Lowered body temperature

[ ] Other (please explain)

1. What (if any) treatments have you undertaken to recover from your side effects since discontinuation of the drug? TRT

2. If you have pre or post-Finasteride bloodtests, what hormonal changes have you encountered since discontinuing the drug (pls post your test results in the “Blood Tests” section and link to them in your post)? high Rt3 , low cortisol

3. Anything not listed in the above questions you’d like to share about your experience with Finasteride?

4. Tell us your story, in your own words, about your Finasteride usage and side effects experienced while on/off the drug.

Pls share your story so we can understand your history with the drug since being on/off it.

I could literally write a novel, so I will try to summarize…

Took Saw Paletto on and off for years…ages 15-18. I did not have baldness or prostate issues. Immediately upon stopping I developed no sex drive, no energy, major EQ issues, mental fatigue, etc

One weird symptom was it was like I could not “lift” or flex my penis, it was like it was just there to slowly flow out urine, that is it. Also prostate issue immediately began.

Doctors were no help. One product I used to use Dymatize Z-Force (tribulus + mucuna) helped immensly. Made me feel like I was 18 again. I could cycle that on and off for results, but slowly it began to not work anymore. Now if I take it, my nipples just get puffy.

So I went on TRT for 3-5 years. Tried Testosterone, HCG, and AI…in all different doses and combinations. My hormone levels looked great so many times. But Not much help. A little with mental attitute and muscle, but not worth enough to stay on…

Finally noticed a year ago a 24 hour urinary panel that my cortisol was very low (even though all blood tests show it high). Started hydro cortisone which has helped so much with energy, mental fog, some muscle, etc. I would almost say its been life saving. However, my sex drive did not change at all and then became my biggest worry. All of the things that had improved dont even matter when you have no sex drive, you feel worthless, like a waste of life almost, even though you can enjoy life…make any sense?

I read a thread here JN Story. He noticed high reverse T3. I noticed that I always had freezing hands and feet + some other hypo symptoms. So I tested my rT3 and it was high.

I am now on week 8 or so of T3 therapy to clear reverse T3. I would say it has hepled a bit with more energy and my coldness is gone. But still not much help with sex drive.

If this fails…I will look at SHBG (from T3)…nuerotranmitters…etc

=======================

July 29th, 2011

Update: Here is a little bit more detailed picture of my story…

About, 6 years ago, I was on spring break my senior year of high school. During this whole week I was using Saw Pawmetto, basically because I heard it was healthy and had used it and some other vitamins off and on just to stay healthy (vit c, glucosamine, etc). So ya, I never had prostate or baldness issue prior to this, but I did take a genetic test a few months ago that said I am 2x as likely to get prostate cancer and male pattern baldness, so genetically, I was susceptible to them (even thought i didnt know it back then).

Obviously being on Spring Break there was a good amount of drinking, but I wouldn’t say anymore than average for that age. Basically the night I returned home, at one point I was shaving and halfway through, I felt like I had just been hit by a truck. I was extremely fatigued out of nowhere. I basically stopped halfway through shaving and went to bed. \I have read a lot of stories here, where people crashed after a night or week of drinking…just like me

I woke up the next morning with strep throat, impetigo rash on my mustache area, and sores in my mouth. It took me 7-10 days to recover and during that time I did not eat much cuz the sores in my mouth were so bad. Anyways I chalk the infections (strep, impetigo, and sores) just to me immune system probably being lowered from all the drinking before hand. But I noticed that my sex drive was completely gone, and at first I had issues getting erections. The doctor (and 5 after that) were all pretty shitty, tested me for STDs (even though I knew it wasn’t that as I didn’t have any sexual relations just prior to the illness). I have also read many stories, where people had illnesses, stress, infections, rashes, etc right at the onset of their crash.

*{I did have "stressors prior to the illness. The mono/ebv about 1 - 1.5 years prior. I had a knee injury (torn ACL, MCL, and PCL) from football that ruined my would be college career. the surgery for this was very big/stressfull. I also ended up having a 2nd surgery. These were 6 months and 2 months prior to illness. But still, I felt 100% fine all the way up until the illness/saw pawmetto that caused the crash}

*[Now I must admit, there were other symptoms other than libido loss. Its been a while so I forget all, but there was less energy, some erection issues, memory problems, slightly depressed (could have been from no libido though), at first it was like I could not move my penis at all there was no feeling to it, urinary flow weakened, I had one or two panic attacks, anxiety etc. But by far the worse to me was the low libido, it was emotionally and physically embarrassing and depressing. Especially considering I had a fairly new gf at the time who was a 10/10]

I tried Dymatize Z-Force, which is basically a Tribulus (testosterone) + Mucuna (dopamine) product. When I would take this, it made me feel normal again, if not, more horny that normal. I could use this for a month or 2, but would have to cycle it as it would lose effectiveness. Then it would only work for a week or two. I stopped using it for a long time. I used it once last summer and it worked for a day, then stopped. If I use it now, it wont work at all, but makes my nipples puffier. Same for other products like LongJack, Maca, etc.

So About 1-2 years after this crash (and 5 doctors later), I finally decided to pay to see Dr. Crisler. He got me more labs tests done. My testosterone came back extremely low. I had about 2 tests prior to this (but post crash), and testosterone came back normal. Oh, well I though I finally found something that would help me. So I went on TRT. I tried different doses, with and without AI and HCG. So many times my labs looked perfect. I had a slight boost in mental thoughts, but that is about it. So after 3-4 years on TRT, I decided it wasnt worth it and stopped cold turkey. This was a year ago, and my latest labs (24 hour urninary) shows midrange testosterone at the moment.

Around the same time I noticed that a 24 hour urinary panel (from years ago) had really low cortisol. Well I did have a lot of symptoms of adrenal fatigue, but my blood cortisol tests ALWAYS came back good or even nearly high. I decided to try hydro cortisone. This was one year ago and I am still on it. It helped a TON with energy and mental fog. But still, my libido was very low. I assume that the illness originally lowered my cortisol it just got worse and worse over the years. For what its worth it took me 8 months to find the right dose and timing of HC to make me feel good.

Just a few months ago, I found out about reverse T3. I never suspected thyroid issues because thyroid labs were always good. But I did have some hypothyroid symptoms as well and my hands and feet were ALWAYS cold. So I got reverse T3 testes and sure enough it was high. I have been on t3 now for 9 weeks now. It has cured the cold feet/hands, maybe gave me more energy and mental awareness, but still, no libido. At this point, most of the time I can get an erection that is strong and lasts though, so this is a big improvement, even though it is not as strong and fierce as it used to be. It still takes more effort to get it up too.

Technically reverse T3 doesnt completely clear from the cells until 12 weeks after T3 supplementation, but I doubt that in 3 weeks when this happens I will suddenly get my libido back. Either way, hopefully after the rT3 clearance, I will be able to get off T3 and my Rt3 levels wont rise again. I suspect they were high in the first place from either the acute illness or low cortisol and just got “stuck” high (this can and does happen).

I do still have an extremely weakened urinary flow, so bad that my stream splits into two… which is prostate issues. I have never brought this up to Drs, but I have had weakened stream, dull ache in pelvic floor, dribble and stop/start especially at end of urination. All of these prostate issue came on day 1 of my crash.

I really want to get more comprehensive blood tests to see EXACTLY where everything is at that point and go from there. My issue now is $$ (after I have spent thousands of my own to get to where I am currently ,which I have very little of left and wont be working again until January since I am student teaching and do not get payed for it. Doctors have been no help. Even Dr Crisler, who is a world leader did not help much. It was myself that discovered adrenal + reverse t3 issues. I had to explain to my family dr what reverse t3 was. Now he says I am a hypochondriac and worry too much. so I doubt I’ll be going back to him.

Also, I continued to take Saw Palmetto on and off after the crash, all the way up to 6 months ago. I simply had no idea that it was what caused my PFS crash. It wasnt until recently that I found out this, and that it is actually banned in Denmark for its sides.

what made you quit fin and approximately how long after you noticed sides?
Did doctor gave any reason why blood test and urine test were different?

I have made a near complete recovery, in most of my symptoms. These symptoms are the mental ones, the muscle wasting, the fatigue, etc. HOWEVER, these DO NOT INCLUDE sexual symptoms and prostate symptoms. I am happy to say that I can function mentally on a daily basis, am able to gain muscle and keep it, and do not need to take a nap every single day.

My partial recovery was nearly identical to JNs supposed full recovery. (Even though he has not been back to update in months) and began before I even discovered his thread and this forum.

First of all, I tried TRT (testosterone shot + AI + HCG) in ALL different combinations for 3-4 years. No help. Drs never suspected adrenal or thyroid issues, because my blood tests always came back great. 5 different doctors and my parents began to think I was just a hypochondriac, in fact just last week my family Dr told me this.

###########

About a year ago (5 years post crash) I looked at a previous 24 hour urinary panel. This showed low cortisol and cortisone. Not below the range, but semi-near it. This was weird because I had had about 5 blood cortisol labs throughout the years that were always semi-high. But I thought about it, and I definitely had the symptoms of adrenal insufficiency. Over the coarse of a year, I fixed/masked most of these issues with a combination of HydroCortisone (Cortef), OTC supplements, and healthy living.

HydroCortisone: I started off taking 10mg, 10mg, and 5mg. It took me about 7-8 months to really find my precise dosage and timing. I am now very set. I take 5mg at 6:30am, 7.5mg at 10:30am, 5mg at 2:30pm, 5mg at 6:30pm, and 2.5mg at 10:30pm. Even if I sleep in I have noticed that I have to set my alarm and get my first dose of HC in at 6 or 6:30am. Otherwise all day I am lethargic, brain fogged, weak, cant focus on things, etc.

*There is no doubt in my mind that HC was the most important part of my recover (mentally). However I did take other supplental things precausionary, I do not know that they helped for sure, but I will probably take them for the rest of my life regardless.

SeaSalt: if the adrenals are not working (or the brain is not telling them to work sufficiently) then aldosterone might be low too, this will cause low blood pressure. i will pour extra sea salt on my food and sometimes pour in my mouth in case I need the sodium. Sea salt also has many minerals needed, such as magnesium

Rhodiola: This is an adaptogen. I take it because I notice that it makes me really calm and chill. I had my gf buy some too (she is from another country) and she noticed the same thing.

Vit C: I take 2g a day. If the adrenals are not working properly, they may need more Vit C. Its plane good for you anyways

Bit B Complex: Many pills a day for the same reason as Vit C

ZMA: zinc and magnesium are very beneficial. magnesium help with a calming affect that is needed because adrenal ins. drains magnesium. I take this before bed.

#########

In addition to these, I rarely drink alcohol anymore. This is tough for me, as I used to drink and party till I black out at least 2 times week (even post Propecia). It was like getting drunk gave me energy and life (but also probably drained my adrenals more than they already were.) But I feel better now without as much alcohol. I feel more alive and have found I enjoy just feeling good and being outdoors on a weekend day.

I try to get to sleep before 11pm every night. I try to eat healthier. I hate veggies, but I eat as many as I can, of all colors. I weed out candies and sugars.

###########

I then read through JNs thread. That is when I first heard about “reverse T3”. It is an actual hormone that basically wreaks havoc, but no one even realizes it exists. My thyroid levels (tsh, t4, t3) were always good, but I did still have hypothyroid symptoms. One big one was that my feet and hands were ALWAYS cold. So I went and got a rT3 test. Sure enough it was high. It takes 12 weeks of taking T3 at high dosages to clear rT3 out from receptors. I am now on week 10. I do not expect an epiphany at 12 weeks. Beginning in week 2-3, I already noticed my hands and feet were not cold at all anymore, also my erections were a big stronger and longer. However, I still have not had a libido :frowning: . This SUCKS, because no sex drive has probably been my biggest complaint. It sucks not wanting to have sex with a sexy girlfriend, it makes it hard to keep a gf. Once the rT3 clears in 2-3 weeks, I will most likely go off of T3 (Cynomel from Mexico) and see if when my thyroid starts producing t4 again, if lots of it converts to the reverseT3. I do not think it will (hope), but it is possible. If it does, I will likely be on T3 for the rest of my life.

*JN noticed that his sex drive returned very soon, about 3-4 weeks in. Not the case for me :frowning:

*For those who do not know. Reverse T3 basically blocks the active thyroid hormone, T3, from connecting to the receptor. So this makes you hypothyroid, even though normal labs show a normal TSH, t4, and t3. You “clear” rT3, by taking Cytomel/T3 (I used Cynomel from Mexico, its the best) at about 60mg-125mcg per day (split into 4-5 doses…I take them at same time as HC) for 12-13 weeks.

############

Ok so here is my theory. Pick it apart if you want, I am not saying it is right, but no other theories have worked yet.

Propecia causes our bodies to “crash” for one reason or another. Anyways, this crash is either a symptom of or a cause for adrenal insufficiency (I think of it as a sub-clinical for of addisons disease). Our body does not produce enough cortisol at certain times that it needs to. I am not going to go down the functions of cortisol, but it is THE ONLY hormone that our body NEEDS. Without it, we will die.

The production of cortisol is the lowest, right at the time of the “crash”. This acutely low cortisol is what causes the muscle wasting we notice that happens so fast. Patients who go into adrenal crisis/addisonian crisis often lost tons of muscle during this “crash”. Since starting HC, I have been able to keep muscle for once.

This also explains why so many PPS sufferers have have candida infection, iother infections, rashes, poor blood cell analysis, food allergies, IBS, etc. Classic symptoms of low cortisol. I personally had an impetigo rash on my mustache area at the same time of the crash. I have read lots of other stories of members here who had mysterious rashes, etc show up.

****To asses adrenal function, do not get a blood cortisol test. These are not what we want. We want a 24 hr urinary test OR a 4x saliva test. If I had just kept getting blood tests, I would not be partially recovered today.

The adrenals begin to produce more cortisol, but it is still not enough. We are sub-clinically-addisonian i.e. adrenal insufficieny. This low cortisol causes our body to increase the production of T3.

• I must also point out that hypo adrenal can come in many different fashions. You can have an acute event (crash) where it is extremely low, then it can go highfor a few days/weeks/months, then over time its stays very low. Or it can be very low (acute event) and stay low. etc, etc, etc.

• Many people have some low/semi-low testosterone or dht levels. This is not the case in all cases though. We all know that low cortisol and disrupted HPA can severely affect the HPTA system.

#################

This brings us to the Prostatits Theory. I think that after you fix the adrenals and thyroid and then other hormones…you need to focus on the prostate.

-Prostatis Theory. My prostate issues (that began the day after my “crash”) were pretty severe. They are still here (I am dumb and have not mentioned this to any doctors…my main focus was always lethargy and libido). With the prostatis theory floating around lately, I do think this could be correct. I have looked at many prostatis forums and many men mention they have NO libido. It should also be noted that a few months ago I did a genetic test that said I was 2x as likely to get prostate cancer as the average man.

However, many of these guys getting this therapy, likely are not treating their adrenals. So their low cortisol (which hinders the immune response and fosters more inflammation) might hinder the ability to recover fully from the prostate treatments.

###########

Seriously, if I could just fix my libido I would be the happiest, most grateful person in the world.

###############

I apologize, this post is kind of all over the place. Hopefully you can make sense of it.

My theory summarized

1. Something happens where our CNS is no longer in parasympatheic mode (relax/recovery), but is now mostly in sympathetic mode (fight/overdrive). In simple terms we are stuck in fight or flight mode.

2. This means lowered cortisol, nitric oxide, prostaglandin e1 and e3 and serotonin…and raised dopamine, adrenaline, noradrenaline, and prostaglandin e2. This is a terrible recipe.

3. With everything in #2, our immune system is weakened and our inflammatory response (prostaglandin e2 especially) is out of control (especially in the prostate). It is also likely that the prostate became infected, adding even more inflammation.

4. We must, in this order, fix these…adrenals, thyroid, other sex hormones (if needed), and then prostate.

Go test your self

1. 24 hour urinary cortisol test
  2. reverse t3 test

Good job! Blood test cortisol is completely useless, as it measures total cortisol. To measure free cortisol, you need a saliva test. In one of my latest tests, I had low serum cortisol (total) but super high free cortisol.

Once your metabolism is again high, T4 will start converting to T3 rather than RT3.

First, not all of us have low cortisol. Many of us (me included) has chronically high cortisol.
Second, muscle growth depends on T, not on cortisol. If adding HC resulted in better muscle growth, that’s because your T increased. This is the expected result of boosting metabolic rate by boosting cortisol and thyroid hormones at the same time, as you are doing. Keep up the good work.

Why don’t you take a blood test and find out why your libido is still lacking? I would test also pregneneolone, progesterone, DHEA. Note that taking HC may downregulate ACTH, which would result in less pregnenolone, which would result in less raw material for DHEA and T. If your E2 is high, then probably your cortisol is still not high enough.

High cortisol on what? Blood tests? Those do not count.

it can be confusing.

i suggest 24 hour urnary. it is how i got dx.

btw. cortisol (too high or too low) is VERY catabolic towards the muscle tissue. this is basic science 101. why do you think addisonian crisis (acute event (crash) —> deadly low cortisol levels) patients lose ASS loads of muscle from a crisis? its not because they have low T

I have taken many. All of my hormones are optimized. Even according to Dr Crisler. He notices this in nearly all of his PFS patients.

Another point that I should make on this…

If you read through JNs journey/recover, you would see that his cortisol was also semi-high for 8 years post crash as seen through 4x saliva tests (and blood tests). Later he found his reverse T3 dominance issue. As we all know, you need cortisol and iron in order to get T3 into the cells, so logic says he has no issues, and started the T3 therapy. After so many weeks on the T3 therapy (weeks of successful treatment), he then noticed he started feeling not-so-great again. He went and got a new cortisol test that showed he was low/hypoadrenal/adrenal insufficient/whateveryouprefertocallit. Once his metabolic rate (every chemical and enzymatic reaction in you body) was beginning to raise via T3 therapy and reverse T3 clearance (normal thyroid function), the true dysfunction of his adrenals showed its head. He had to go on HC (higher dose than I take) and also played around with pregnenalone to get his cortisol/adrenals stabilized.

This is not an easy thing to dx. Normal and even high cortisol tests (especially when its blood test) do not neccessarily mean that you adrenals/HPA are no dysfunctional.

Troll alert! This person has posted for a long time on musclechatroom without mentioning Propecia.

I never took Propecia, I took Saw Palmetto. There are others here who also took SP. Same action, same crash, same side effects.

I never linked the “crash” and the subsequent side effects to the Saw Palmetto until lately, I mean who would? That is why I never mentioned it before in MesoRx, ATM, or Anabolic Minds. It wasnt until I find this forum and your stories until I was able to put 2 and 2 together.

The “adrenal fatigue”, which I suspected in your post, very so is (in my mind) a part of PFS…read my “theory” and you will understand this.

This in no way makes me a troll.

===========

Despite the above-noted issues i do like this theory.

I do think alot of guys find out trends in their cases and try make theories to fit everyone. You need to qualify theories to cover people that present with low corisol (urinary or salivary) and/or high reverse T3 because it’s clear that this isn’t the case for everyone.

I love the theory though. It’s not a new one, it’s quite a popular one and one that basically mirrors Chilln’s “teachings” of addressing the thyroid and adrenals concurrently. I think there is massive credibility in it and it has the capacity to help (not necessarily cure) many on here but it requires an intrigate and intelligent approach along with regular bloods.

I’m going to push to have my RT3 and salivary cortisol tested. I’ve been trying to do this for ages i think i’ll rejuvinate this approach.

Lastly - can you tell us the T3 dosage you are taking?

I am currently taking 87.5mcg per day.

However, in 2 weeks (when the rT3 clears from cells) I am going to stop the T3. In theory, my rT3 will not rise again and I wont need anymore thyroid meds. Guess we will have to wait and see.

I should add, it’s interesting how people have also reportedly recovered using Dexamethasone and prednisolone.

Thanks. Do you take like 5 tablets at different intervals throughout the day or what? Did you consider Wilson’s protocol?

I take 4 doses, all at the same time as my HC. 25, 25, 25 and 12.5.

Ideally you should take a dose right before bedtime too, because naturally around midnight is when our thyroid function is the highest. I tried the bedtime dose most of week 2, but it was just driving my cortisol way too low, so I stopped that.

I did not follow the Wilson protocol, it did not make sense to me to have to cycle over and over. I pretty much followed what JN did as well as this…
thyroid-rt3.com/

It hasn’t been easy though. I’ve had MANY sleepless nights (almost 3 weeks straight) and at times my heart goes crazy. You need to have good cortisol, sodium, magnesium, and iron levels. I think adding in 2.5mg of HC right before bed helped though, I no longer have trouble falling asleep or heart palps/pounding.

Check out this thread. It seems like nearly every person in it who actually had it tested, came back high.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3866

Keep in mind that its more about the ratio T3:rT3 than it is how high your rT3 is.
stopthethyroidmadness.com/reverse-t3/

Moonman;
My main problem has been muscle wasting, I was given Hydrocortisone by my endo as she said my cortisol levels were relatively low, and all I got was increased fat -especially under the chin. It did nothing for the muscle.
My Testosterone levels have been above average since I began TRT 18 months ago but I have continued to lose muscle, so you’re right Testosterone is not the only factor involved

how many doses per day were you taking and at what mg. per dose?

also what is your T3 and reverse T3?

fwiw, HC will not “just bring back muscle”, it is not anabolic or even androgenic. you would have to work out and eat a surplus, in order to bring back that muscle and then keep it. but bringing your cortisol levels back up to normal will make this 100x easier that without the HC.

Well moonman I must have come across as some 16yr old novice if you feel the need to tell me that to ‘bring muscle back’ I need to train and eat plenty!
I took HC 20 mg before b/fast and 10mg before lunch, when in a short period of time you gain a significant amount of fat in an isolated area like under the chin you know something is wrong. If you gained a modest amount of fat all over the body then that would be different.
My latest T3 Free is 2.85 pg/mL (2.1 - 4.2),
my endo at Herthoge’s clinic told me RT3 was measured in people on thyroid treatment and as I wasn’t didn’t think this was necessary for me.
BTW I am a 42yr old working man, I weight trained for 17 yrs until I stopped because the muscle was wasting away. I do manual work and lift things every day, after a while you get to know your body and know how it feels to work your muscles, not work your muscles and to overwork them, and whether you body recovers after or not.
cheers,

I apologize if I came across that way. What I mean is that cortisol is not anabolic like testosterone, it will not increase protein synthesis. However, if you are deficient in it, then you WILL waste muscle. I am sure you already know this…

Your dosing is bad. 20mg at breakfast alone? Some people do not take 20mg total all day. The standard is 10mg at breakfast, 5mg right before lunch, 5mg early after noon, and 5mg with dinner. Some add in 2.5mg at bedtime.

You were taking way too much within a small period of time (breakfast and lunch)…which accounts for your fat gain.

Also HC is used up within 4 hours. That is why is is best to dose every 4 hours or so. Prednisone on the other hand is just a one dose a day, but it comes with many risks that HC does not. Not to mention it is impossible to match your circadium or natural output of cortisol with prednisone.

For what its worth (whether you believe me or not) your fT3 is low, it should really be at at least 4.0.

I have no idea why your endo would think that rT3 should only be measured in thyroid patients. But I have dealt with enough endos to know that they dont know jack. I have seen soooooo many patients just like me who had high reverse T3 despite never being on thyroid meds.

You make interesting points about cortisol and HC moonman.
I did also try with just 10mg HC before breakfast and no more during the day, even then I think fat increased slightly -but maybe I was just imagining it!
I don’t disagree with you about fT3, I just don’t know enough about it; and I don’t take what doctors say as automatically true either anymore. I do recall that every time I have questioned doctors I have been proved to be right.

My problems all started with a period of intense stress, when I assume I was producing a lot of cortisol, and, I started to lose muscle. Now, I have low cortisol and according to current thinking that is why I am losing muscle. However at some point along the way I must have been producing the right amount of cortisol, but at no point during the last 8 yrs have I stopped losing muscle.

I have been on T3 for about 13-14 weeks now. So I am sure that my reverse T3 is completely cleared. Soon I will start to ween off of T3 and see if my reverse T3 stays low or creeps back up.

Here are some tests I just got done…

Iron Bind. Cap. 325 (250-450)
UIBC 243 (150-375)
Iron, Serum 82 (40-155) Not low, but it really should be above 90
Iron Saturation 25 (15-55) Again not low, but it should be up around 45%

T4 Free/Direct .69 (.82-1.77) Very low, which was my goal
TSH <.006 (.45-4.5) Same as above
T3 Free, Serum 9.5 (2.0-4.4) Very high…T3 is probably pooling in the blood because iron is not optimal
T3 Uptake 41 (24-39)
Selenium, serum/plasma 158 (79-326)

21-Hydroxylase Antibodies <1.0 (<1.0)
Antiadrenal Antibodies (negative)
Aldosterone 13 (0-30)