Merck: Fund studies into the Post Finasteride Syndrome

Helo propecia sufferers,

There’s a new petition for all of us to be signed. A minimum of 1000 signatures are required. Merck has an obligation to help.

petitions.moveon.org/sign/merck- … y=15435290

The Post Finasteride Syndrome is a serious, life-altering condition that occurs in some men after quitting the hairloss, prostate drug Finasteride (Propecia, Proscar). Bringham and Woman’s Hospital and Baylor College of Medicine have launched research studies to help find treatments.

Let’s sign this petition for Merk to get involved in the studies.

Thank you all,

Daviddoff

Close to a thousand sigs. Keep it going guys.

Reading through the comments of the people that signed, it’s incredible how many talk about relatives who commited suicide because of propecia. A LOT of comments talk about close people who ended up their life. There have probably been much more suicides than we think.

1 Like

I agree with that assertion. Personally I knew a guy who committed suicide a couple of years after quitting Propecia, but he never knew about the existance of the Propecia forum, as he did not undertand English. Like him, there must be too many others worldwide.

1 Like

Did you contact his family to inform them?

I know his mother, but I never wanted to come up talking about this subject as she is still very affected by the loss of her own son.

She deserves to know. Can you not write her a letter? One of the biggest problems we face is often people don’t make the connection. It’s kindof your responsibility in my opinion. You know what killed her son, and you’re choosing not to tell her. Sorry if that sounds harsh but I don’t know what’s stopping you.

1 Like

I don’t know, it’s a very harsh matter. I kinda enquired into that, and a relative of mine who dates her mother kind of avoid talking about the subject. I told him about the possible connection with propecia and his suicide, but he kinda ignored me. I also told him about the existance of this forum. I don’t think I can’t do more about it.

I can’t accept that you’re too afraid to tell a mother why her son died. I couldn’t sit quietly keeping that information to myself. As a witness to what happened, it’s your social responsibility to speak up, but you’re avoiding it. Everything you’re writing here is excuses.

I think there’s a good chance the mother would be very upset if somebody were to try and address this issue with her. She may even deny whatever is said to her as I’m sure she is in a lot of distress already. If I were in his position, I wouldn’t want to mention this highly sensitive issue to the mother. I don’t even really see how this discussion may benefit her.

When someone dies, their family want to find out what happened. If it’s something unjust or sinister, they seek justice. In the case of health or disease, they often get actively involved in raising awareness or charity fundraising. I think denying his family the truth in this instance (or any where someone knows something) is not morally correct.

1 Like

If the family were to get involved in raising awareness or raising funds I see how that could benefit you, but I think telling them what caused the tragedy with their son would be rubbing salt in their healing wounds. You don’t know anything about him other than he took Propecia and his life ended in tragedy.

So you’re prefer them to never know what killed their son? To have questions for the rest of their lives?

I can’t believe this is even up for discussion. They have the right to know.

Getting Merk involved…? Isn’t that like having a murder investigate his own crimes? How will that help? Isn’t this the problem with the system in the first place? Studies conducted by drug companies with little oversight. Good luck with that shit.

1 Like

You don’t know what circumstances led this individual to take his life. This kind of speculation harms the credibility of our community… especially when there is no room for doubt.

Many people here speculated that Robin Williams took his life because he had a prescription for Propecia at the time. Could Propecia have contributed… maybe? But it was later revealed he had an early stage form of dementia that was much more likely to have been the reason. Pointing fingers every which way will only hurt us.

If it were 100% conclusive that this man took his life because of Propecia, I’d certainly reconsider, but you really have to be sensitive about these issues especially when there is so little available information.

If your going to tell the mother about a possible PFS suicide it might be best to write her a letter.

I totally agree with you Frustrated.

I’ve never been one to beat the drum when a celebrity dies who may have taken finasteride. In the case of an individual who 1) quit the drug, 2) committed suicide afterwards, informing the relevant parties about this is the right thing to do. Raising awareness doesn’t harm our credibility, and it could save lives.

I didn’t say “raising awareness harms our credibility”. I believe it harms our credibility when PFS patients automatically assume an individual killed himself simply because he was taking or had taken Propecia.

By the way, back to the original topic. Merck will never, ever fund studies into PFS unless it so forced to, quite literally, at gunpoint. As part of some binding agreement or by the government itself. It will simply never happen, if you can’t figure this out on your own, you really don’t understand how things work. Since it would be tantamount to them admitting guilt. And the FDA and government in general value Merck’s profits far, far more than they value the lives of a few thousand men. They sacrificed many times more people’s lives in past conflicts remember that. It is almost childish to even consider this as an option. There are many people, in powerful positions, who really just don’t care about the well-being of anyone else except themselves. Not one bit, because they can’t see how screwing over your neighbour, hurts the entire neighbourhood… so to speak.

Just trying to encourage realism. It’s a horrible situation, but try to look for actual potential avenues that might benefit us.

1 Like