Latest blood test results - sky high SHBG

In preparation for my starting PreP I had a blood test to check both Kidney function as well as HIV negativity.

I asked the doctor to check my Testosterone while I was at it.

Upon receiving my results I was amazed by how high my SHBG has gotten, pushing my Free Testosterone to lower levels. It’s interesting comparing these results to my previous tests:

Testosterone [12-31.9 nmol/L]       Free T [260-740pmol/L]         SHBG [17-56 nmol/L]

April '17: 21.9 349 51
Dec '17: 18.7 326 43
April '19: 22.5 288 67H

There is ample evidence correlating Free T to a whole lot of wellness metrics. If my Free T is so close to the bottom end of the range, surely even without PFS I’d be suffering from low libido and the like.

How does one discern between a form of mild hypogonadism and PFS?
This is something I want to try to get my head around.

1 Like

How are you going to lower shbg?

I don’t even know if that’s an objective I should be trying to do. Perhaps my body has raised it for a reason. We don’t understand the underlying mechanism for PFS and how hormone levels relate to the underlying disorder regarding the Androgen system.
So even though one would assume that attempting to ‘correct’ deficiencies or excesses is sensible, in all likelihood it’s just probably looking at the problem in too low a resolution, where the complexities of the issue are not properly taken into account…

You make really good points. Given that your about to start PreP it’s probably not a good idea to correct imbalances unless necessary. Look forward to seeing how you get on and wish you all the best on this journey.

1 Like

I’ve ben thinking this too.

If a lot of people respond badly to increasing test, and our bodies seem to almost all have high SHBG which reduces free test, perhaps our bodies are reducing it on purpose for a reason… who knows. We just don’t know enough to really say yet.

Or maybe we need to get it to stop so it makes us better :slight_smile:

Who knows.

I wish we could objectively know this.

Agreed.

Personally I still think there’s 2 types of PFS, some with high DHT and some with low DHT. One type seems to respond to TRT/HCG, etc. and the other gets worse from it.

Or it could be two totally different problems that we’re just lumping together right now and calling PFS. Who knows.

The zeitgeist at present seems to be an attempt to find commonality between PFS, PAS and PSSD. I suppose this has it’s merits, as if they can be lumped together as a single condition it could help obtain credibility in the medical community and consequently funding for research.

The potential downside is twofold. Firstly, studies may allow too many varied types of suffers in, thus blurring the distinctive nature of one particular state of affairs. If one is searching for commonality when there is little, one runs the risk of reaching inconclusive results. Secondly, the unique characteristics of the respective conditions can be overlooked. For all we know PFS can, as you say, take multiple forms. Indeed, this is highly likely, as symptoms are varied. Furthermore, there doesn’t seem to be much common ground in terms of efficacy of treatment. What improves one person doesn’t do anything for another, or even may make a person worse off.

Even in terms of measurable metrics such as neurosteroid deficiencies in PFS sufferers, it’s not homogeneous. Some people who display symptoms seem to have relatively normal levels of neurosteroids whilst they’re completely out of kilter for others.

1 Like

Guys I think SHBG isnt a good indicator of hormonal health at all.

Pre-Fin I had a SHBG level of 70 something and some change. I couldnt go a day without jerking off unless something was really keeping my attention.

Years before that when I was a collegiate athlete and in stupid good shape my SHBG level was so high that my doctor was rather concerned about it.

When it comes to hormones, I think there are accepted minimum standards for whats good and whats not but ultimately hormones effect everyone differently

2 Likes

If you think your numbers where high wait till you see mine, last results are about 2 months old. LH 4.4 (range 1.7-8.6) Free Testosterone 0.26 (range 0.19-0.59) Testosterone 31.2 (range 8.60-29) SHBG 123 (range 20-55) Estrodile 88 ( below 160 is ok apparently)

Wow, that SHBG is very high!

Indeed it is, would like to try and get it within range to see if it makes me feel any different, but trying to get any help from medical professionals here in the UK is impossible especially with my above range Testosterone as well.

Mine has to be something equally as ridiculous. My total test is off the charts high and free test is still below the low end of the “normal” range, so I can only assume SHBG is the reason why. I didn’t have SHBG tested last time–I guess I need to do that soon.

It would certainly be the reason why.

Through TRT?

Now the real question… are our bodies doing that on purpose due to our sensitivity to androgens or would fixing that make us feel more normal?

1 Like

I’ve read that taking testosterone can lower SHBG, but because my testosterone is so high the Endo didn’t want to give me testosterone.

To my knowledge there doesn’t seem to be a distinct and proven method of lowering SHBG directly.

2 Likes

The thing is my testosterone was always between 17 and 24.9 the first few years, ever since I’ve taking acidophilus complex it’s been consistently very high, highest reading was 35! I’m not sure if it s to do with acidophilus complex but since then been crazy high, oh and took very high dose 10 capsules a day.

1 Like

I give up trying to lower SHBG, every medical profession I’ve met here in the UK absolutely no help at all, one said maybe I have naturally high SHBG :confused: Anyone here with high SHBG may I ask what your body weight is? I’m pretty slim no matter how much garbage I eat, is anyone else with high SHBG slim and find it hard to gain any weight/body mass?