Is Neurotransmitter therapy the key to recovery?

If we assume that adrenal fatigue and high metals, particularly copper, are the issues - I’m still not sure which comes first: the copper toxicity or the adrenal fatigue.

This article (not cited with journal articles) suggests that impaired adrenal function can lead to copper build up.

tvernonlac.com/copper-toxicity.html

Quote from naturalendocrinesolutions.com/articles/the-truth-about-copper-toxicity-and-thyroid-health/ which is echo’d in the above resource:

The below paper does say ceruloplasmin (which is the major copper-carrying protein in the blood en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceruloplasmin) is regulated by the adrenal gland which suggests adrenal insufficiency comes first then leads to copper accumulation:

ajplegacy.physiology.org/content/218/3/613.extract

joetz, you’ve stated before that heavy metal treatment has made you feel better, and I believe you, I just think we need to understand where the root is.

Just got a neurotransmitter metabolism test back. It is one that tests metabolites so generally is considered more reliable than standard NT tests.

Serotonin, Dopamine, Norepinephrine, and Epinephrine came back “fine” per my doctor. Strange, I literally would have bet my house that my norepinephrine would have came back high and dopamine low…

Vanilmandelate 1.8 (1.3-4.9)
Homovanillate 3.1 (1.6-10.9)
5-Hydroxyindoleacetate 2.3 (1.6-9.8)
Kynurenate 1.7 (<2.7)
Quinolinate 4.2 (<5.8)
Picolinate 10.6 (2.8-13.5)

joetz, i just read through your thread. i’m curious if you “crashes” that you experienced after recovery had anything to do with masturbating that you did? did you masturbate at all? you say it takes you 5 days to recharge is what I think you said, so i’m assuming yes?

i do know that certain neurotransmitters are affected when you masturbate…

I have never noticed this having any impact on me. I am sure we are all different and for some people orgasms affect them, but that’s not the case with me. I could abstain for a year or masterbate everyday and I’m still going to be the same person.

I know what you are saying… you can masturbate a lot or not at all and you still have low sex drive. However, during your brief recovery, you weren’t the same person and you said what I’m assuming is more sex drive. You didn’t really answer the question… did you masturbate during your recovery and if so how much?

The reason I ask is because it’s a fact that neurotransmitters are affected by masturbation, and “over masturbating” brings on serious neurotransmitter issues that are stuck in a bad loop. Not saying that you over masturbate, but I was wondering if it was possible that your neurotransmitters got back in line and then possibly by you masturbating, it brought it back into the bad loop again.

What a load of bullshit.

I think your theory is completely proposterous, but, if you must know, I didn’t “overmasterbate”

I know I crashed after masturbating three times one day in fairly close proximation. Also, I know that the best I ever felt was toward the end of periods of complete impotence, maybe 2 week stretches. After one of those I had about a 60-70% recovery. And I also know that masturbation is very taxing on you; chemicals are released, electrical charge goes off in your brain, etc. Not disagreeing and I do not know what effect masturbation has on neurotransmitters. Those are just my personal observations.

just read thru the entire thread.

joetz: any updates? what happened after the shop bought 30 day detox?

Bump.

After doing some research, it appears that what my doctor told me (everything looks fine) was wrong.

Serotonin = low
Norepinephrine + Epinephrine = low
Dopamine = medium low

mooman1,

so what are your next steps? What medications/therapy are you planning?

Well I’m still sick and I’m still here on this site
Any and all gains I made pursuing this angle were always unsustainable

Start taking precursors. About a week ago I started taking 5htp, Mucuna Pruriens, and ALCAR in the morning. Mental stability (depressive symptoms) have already improved quit a bit.

I think I am going to try Tyrosine, Tryptophan, and Green Tea Extract next to compare.

Its important to get Vit B complex and Vit C with these.

I used to not think that masturbating affected me. I have gone 2 months multiple times without masturbating and did not notice improvements. But lately I think I have been able to connect that I get pretty depressed the day after I masturbate…

So feel the most here. My symptomes get worse… Short after I had my fun, I feel much better,
the days after are wose. Pain in the lower back, Depression and so on…

What I know is, short after Sex, oxytocin and prolactin goes up. Testo drops. The days after Sex the body starts to make more Testosteron (but corect me when I´m wrong)

But, sadly I dont have the time to have a deeper look in the Hormonal changes after sex.
If some have time to look for some good studies about this topic, would be great.

While not a scientific source, this article talks about the increase of prolactin and decrease in dopamine after orgasm:

reuniting.info/science/dopamine_separation_after_orgasm

Hi Joetz

6 years later, any feedback on your situation ?

Did you recover or you accepted your situation and still live with pfs ?

I still have pfs. Have had it now for 20 years. The neurotransmitter therapy was one of so many things I have tried…it got me a great 2-3 days max, then back to baseline

I’m at the point where I can live my life. I still want a cure like everyone else.

I’m now thinking that part of the issue might be cause by viruses the immunity system can’t keep in check for some reason.

Got my hands on some valtrex and man what a huge difference it made for brain fog and cognitive ability. I had to stop because my colitis went bonkers and I was on the verge of an intestinal blockage, but I had sustainable improvements, not this three day crap and then returning to baseline. It changed the way I look at PFS and I am really curious now if anti-viral meds are the secret to defeating PFS

3 Likes

Bosto,
Please could you update us on your progress with T3 cycle w/clomid? I would really appreciate it
Thank you

Is there a link between Lyme disease and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?

In some cases, yes. In addition to those suffering from Lyme disease, our new test has also proved to be important to those suffering with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), including substantial problems with short-term memory or concentration, sleep dysfunction, and feeling worse with exercise or stress – many of the same symptoms mentioned earlier.

Hi Joetz, have you been screened for lyme disease of CFS?

also to all the anti-abstinence folks and chronic masturbators shooting their life force into tissues in a trash bin, that prolactin you are building up is inhibiting dopamine and causing some serious brain fog. Abstaining for sufficient time will allow you to feel human again (I speak from deep experience lol).