Is Neurotransmitter therapy the key to recovery?

I know what you are saying… you can masturbate a lot or not at all and you still have low sex drive. However, during your brief recovery, you weren’t the same person and you said what I’m assuming is more sex drive. You didn’t really answer the question… did you masturbate during your recovery and if so how much?

The reason I ask is because it’s a fact that neurotransmitters are affected by masturbation, and “over masturbating” brings on serious neurotransmitter issues that are stuck in a bad loop. Not saying that you over masturbate, but I was wondering if it was possible that your neurotransmitters got back in line and then possibly by you masturbating, it brought it back into the bad loop again.

What a load of bullshit.

I think your theory is completely proposterous, but, if you must know, I didn’t “overmasterbate”

I know I crashed after masturbating three times one day in fairly close proximation. Also, I know that the best I ever felt was toward the end of periods of complete impotence, maybe 2 week stretches. After one of those I had about a 60-70% recovery. And I also know that masturbation is very taxing on you; chemicals are released, electrical charge goes off in your brain, etc. Not disagreeing and I do not know what effect masturbation has on neurotransmitters. Those are just my personal observations.

just read thru the entire thread.

joetz: any updates? what happened after the shop bought 30 day detox?

Bump.

After doing some research, it appears that what my doctor told me (everything looks fine) was wrong.

Serotonin = low
Norepinephrine + Epinephrine = low
Dopamine = medium low

mooman1,

so what are your next steps? What medications/therapy are you planning?

Well I’m still sick and I’m still here on this site
Any and all gains I made pursuing this angle were always unsustainable

Start taking precursors. About a week ago I started taking 5htp, Mucuna Pruriens, and ALCAR in the morning. Mental stability (depressive symptoms) have already improved quit a bit.

I think I am going to try Tyrosine, Tryptophan, and Green Tea Extract next to compare.

Its important to get Vit B complex and Vit C with these.

I used to not think that masturbating affected me. I have gone 2 months multiple times without masturbating and did not notice improvements. But lately I think I have been able to connect that I get pretty depressed the day after I masturbate…

So feel the most here. My symptomes get worse… Short after I had my fun, I feel much better,
the days after are wose. Pain in the lower back, Depression and so on…

What I know is, short after Sex, oxytocin and prolactin goes up. Testo drops. The days after Sex the body starts to make more Testosteron (but corect me when I´m wrong)

But, sadly I dont have the time to have a deeper look in the Hormonal changes after sex.
If some have time to look for some good studies about this topic, would be great.

While not a scientific source, this article talks about the increase of prolactin and decrease in dopamine after orgasm:

reuniting.info/science/dopamine_separation_after_orgasm

Hi Joetz

6 years later, any feedback on your situation ?

Did you recover or you accepted your situation and still live with pfs ?

I still have pfs. Have had it now for 20 years. The neurotransmitter therapy was one of so many things I have tried…it got me a great 2-3 days max, then back to baseline

I’m at the point where I can live my life. I still want a cure like everyone else.

I’m now thinking that part of the issue might be cause by viruses the immunity system can’t keep in check for some reason.

Got my hands on some valtrex and man what a huge difference it made for brain fog and cognitive ability. I had to stop because my colitis went bonkers and I was on the verge of an intestinal blockage, but I had sustainable improvements, not this three day crap and then returning to baseline. It changed the way I look at PFS and I am really curious now if anti-viral meds are the secret to defeating PFS

3 Likes

Bosto,
Please could you update us on your progress with T3 cycle w/clomid? I would really appreciate it
Thank you

Is there a link between Lyme disease and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?

In some cases, yes. In addition to those suffering from Lyme disease, our new test has also proved to be important to those suffering with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), including substantial problems with short-term memory or concentration, sleep dysfunction, and feeling worse with exercise or stress – many of the same symptoms mentioned earlier.

Hi Joetz, have you been screened for lyme disease of CFS?

also to all the anti-abstinence folks and chronic masturbators shooting their life force into tissues in a trash bin, that prolactin you are building up is inhibiting dopamine and causing some serious brain fog. Abstaining for sufficient time will allow you to feel human again (I speak from deep experience lol).

Valtrex is valaciclovir an antiviral used to treat herpes. I’ve had severe herpes 12 years ago and have been on acyclovir since then for prevention. ( Acyclovir is an older, cheaper version of the same drug, with a much shorter half life). I take 200 mg every day. I haven’t seen it have any effect but to prevent herpes, but than again, when I crashed it looks like I didn’t get it as bad as others.

I’m currently on a very strict regime of zero carbs, ketogenic / carnivore diet and take protein shakes as well as a bunch of individual amino acids. I do weight lifting and the result of all this is I’m 98% symptom free. I just have trouble sleeping but I get enough rest to be 100% functioning during the day.

I wonder if the antiviral I’m still taking is contributing ?

Strange that things like this and the prep have helped certain people

Well, acyclovir is very well tolerated and does not have any side effects (for me anyway, and I’ve taken up to 1200 mg a day)

Just out of curiosity, I’ll increase the dose to 400 mg, twice a day (total 800 instead of 200 mg) and see what happens.

joetz,

I am curious to know if you are still around these days. I have had PFS for ten years. I recently looked into neurotransmitters in July of 2020. I did not go to a doctor. Instead I purchased my own urine neurotransmitter test through ZRT lab. The results showed among other things that I was low in urine serotonin. I took the precursors L-Tryptophan and 5-HTP along with cofactor B6 for 64 days. It completely cured my constipation. I retested in December of 2020 and the results showed that I increased my natural serotonin production to the optimal range. Most serotonin is made in the gut where it stimulates gut motility.

For the 64 days I was also taking several other precursors and co factors to adjust several other neurotransmitters and I fell back into severe PFS like insomnia. So like you I have experienced how adjusting natural neurotransmitter production has the ability to substantially impact PFS symptoms for the better and worse. I am taking this theory a step further. I think that certain neurotransmitters react to certain receptors in the brain in a very similar and sometimes exact same way that certain neurosteriods impacted by taking 5AR inhibitors do.

Of course after experiencing this I want to explore this path further like you previously did. However I don’t want to pay a doctor thousands of dollars to continue experimenting down this path. I think this has potential and is clearly under explored but anyone else can make the same mistake you did by paying a doctor thousands of dollars and be forced to give up because you could no longer afford to keep paying for the follow up tests and supplements. And lets be honest any doctor that takes thousands of dollars from people in our position for experimental things like this is a dirt bag. We don’t want to let them take advantage of us.

I am trying to figure out a way to replicate the protocol that that you paid the doctor to do for you. I noticed how you said that you never asked for the test results and the doctor never offered them. Well of course the doctor never offered to give you the paperwork because if you had all your labs you would be able to learn and replicate the protocol without his help. We can buy ZRT labs urine neurotransmitter test for cheeper if we don’t go through a doctor. We can then buy the supplements on our own from bulk supplements for cheep. In other words others can experiment with what you did for much cheeper.

If you could go back to the doctor milking your for all that money and get your medical records and post all those urine neurotransmitter test results here as well as the updated supplement adjustment recommendations that go along with each test I think we could learn the protocol and we could replicate it on our own.

what was the doctors name?
what lab did he send your urine samples to for neurotransmitter testing?
what is your status now?
if you are not recovered why did you not stay on the neurotransmiter path. Based on this thread it sounded like it was the answer for you. It may have just been the matter of continuing to adjust the supplements. Also do you know how this doctor came up with the exact protocol that you described at the beginning of this thread with “the four different types of neurotransmitters”? I ask because maybe the better way to go is to stick with adjusting certain neurotransmitters with certain supplements for a longer period of time. Constantly changing them may be better for the doctor selling you the supplements but may not be the best way to allow for the best chance to see how you respond to each adjustment. It seemed like you were changing supplements every week. That really does not make sense if you think about it. And it’s not like urine neurotransmitter levels are telling you the exact levels in the CNS at that time. So with this being said what was the logic behind changing supplements so frequently?