How does prolactin cause reduced sex drive?

I’ve been reading around on the internet trying to figure out how exactly prolactin reduces sexual desire, and I can’t figure out if it is the innate function of prolactin (i.e. it’s just part of its job) or if it’s because it reduces production of testosterone along with other thyroid hormones involved with libido.

I started looking into this because I recently got blood work done and my prolactin levels were high (will post results at the end), and according to all of the sources I was reading, this should have meant that my testosterone and thyroid hormones (FSH/LH specifically) should have been low too; however, this is not at all the case for me. Any insight is appreciated.

Hormone/My Results/Reference Range

Prolactin: 36.1 ng/mL 4.0 - 15.2
Total Testosterone: 952.7 ng/dL 264.0 - 916.0
Vitamin D: 43.8 ng/mL 30.0 - 100.0
DHT: 78.8 ng/dL 30 - 85

I wanted to post my vitamin D levels too because it was on the lower side, and I can also post other tests that were done, but they all were within the normal range.

edit: Added DHT levels

when prolactin goes up dopamine goes down (and vice versa if dopamine goes up prolactin goes down)… high prolactin low dopamine induces a state of being content not really desiring sex or achieving things… just sleepy, content… low prolactin, high dopamine isn’t good either (I was in such state for few months when taking cabergoline and felt worse than with high prolactin low dopamine)… dopamine levels are very important for libido you can have high testosterone, no pfs or pas or other conditions but if your dopamine is very low you will not have sex drive
drugs that lower prolactin are typically dopaminergic drugs (d2 agonists like cabergoline, pramipexole etc)
dont take any d2 agonists unless doctor told you to take one… coming off them is much more painful than hardcore drugs withdrawal if you were taking wrong dosage!

1 Like

This actually clears things up a lot more for me! I forgot to mention that I read about dopamine lowering prolactin, but I couldn’t find anything that said that the reverse also applied. It makes a lot more sense if it’s true that the relationship between prolactin and dopamine goes both ways and not just one. Thank you!

1 Like

and prolactin has function in our bodies… I remember specifically its important for immune system… not useless hormone but can cause problems if too high or too low

1 Like

BearOf17, my results are very similar to yours. Did you do any treatment prolactin related and how do you feel by now?

There have been times in the past 8 years that my prolactin has been higher than normal, similar to your number you posted. But my endo has said that a prolactin tumor in the brain/pituitary usually produces a number in the hundreds or thousands. So you probably don’t have a tumor. But any sexual especially nipple stimulation can temporarily increase prolactin. So does orgasm. After orgasm, for a short or longer period of time for humans, there is no desire for sex, which the normal action of prolactin on the brain.
Anecdotally, I have known some people, mostly guys, who have been taking drugs or medications that increase dopamine–they become hypersexual, it’s as if the increased dopamine has blocked any prolactin-refractory period. They don’t get the usual downtime after orgasm like most people–they are OD-ing in a way on dopamine and they want more and more sex.

Question, do you have issues with dry skin/muscle gain? Or is it purely libido?

@Zonz You mean from increased prolactin? For me higher prolactin (blood test) was part of my lowered libido and lack of function. I have never had dry skin–before or after finasteride.

Was trying to get input from the OP because he listed dry skin as one of his symptoms. I myself have dry and thinned skin as a result of Finasteride.

But that’s interesting that you don’t have skin issues. So reducing your prolactin fixed your libido?

My prolactin went back to normal, I am not sure exactly why.
But I have been on thyroid hormone, testosterone, and others that may have restored it…?

are there any drugs that suppress prolactin permanently ?

Low thyroid causes elevated prolactin, so yeah

1 Like

You don’t want to suppress any hormone or biochemically permanently! That is what got us here with PFS in the first place. All of the hormones have to be in a delicate balance. Taking a chemical drug is like a huge bazooka gun that upsets the entire balance, no matter if it is testosterone or prolactin or whatever!

1 Like

Okay but which drugs can temporary suppress prolactin? i think mine is too high

How do you know it is too high?

I have low dopamine since pfs. Im pretty sure cause smoking weed as example doesnt have the same effect anymore. like no dopamine can be released

My suggestion is to get blood tests for hormones including prolactin so you know for sure what’s up. And if you enjoy weed, don’t stop now or it will confound the tests.

Dht controls dopamine receptors. That’s why nofap used to give us more dopamine before Fin.

Prolactin induces ed for sure.
It is imperative to make it controlled and under the upper limit.

wtf. and we cant reverse this ?