Help? ED from 4 weeks on Fin? Recovery Chances?

Hello everyone - probably just another desperate guy around here, but I’m so upset with this. Can anyone give me a view on what my chances of recovery might be? Here’s my story:

Where are you from (country)? - UK

How did you find this forum - Searched for “pfs forum finsateride”

What is your current age, height, weight? - 35, 6’, 85kg (lean/slightly muscular - gym 4x/week.)

What specific drug did you use (finasteride, dutasteride, saw palmetto, isotretinoin/Accutane, fluoxetine, sertraline, citalopram, leuprorelin, etc…)? - Finasteride.

What dose did you take (eg. 1 mg/day, 1 mg every other day etc.)? 1mg/day 18-21 Sept, 0.5mg EOD 24 Sept - 10th Oct 2018

What condition was being treated with the drug? MPB

For how long did you take the drug (weeks/months/years)? < 1 month

How old were you, and WHEN (date) did you start the drug? 35 years old, 1mg/day 18-21 Sept, 0.5mg EOD 24 Sept - 10th Oct 2018

How old were you when you quit, and WHEN (date) did you quit? - Quit 10th Oct 2018

How did you quit (cold turkey or taper off)? - cold turkey.

How long into your usage did you notice the onset of side effects? October 10th - 3 weeks.

What side effects did you experience that have yet to resolve since discontinuation? ED, loss of libido.

Check the boxes that apply. You can save your post first, then interactively check/uncheck the boxes by clicking on them. If your symptoms change, please update your list.

Sexual
[X ] Loss of Libido / Sex Drive
[X ] Erectile Dysfunction
[ ] Complete Impotence
[X ] Loss of Morning Erections
[X ] Loss of Spontaneous Erections
[ ] Loss of Nocturnal Erections
[ ] Watery Ejaculate
[X ] Reduced Ejaculate
[ ] Inability or Difficulty to Ejaculate / Orgasm
[ ] Reduced Sperm Count / Motility

Mental
[ ] Emotional Blunting / Emotionally Flat
[ ] Difficulty Focusing / Concentrating
[ ] Confusion
[ ] Memory Loss / Forgetfulness
[ ] Stumbling over Words / Losing Train of Thought
[ ] Slurring of Speech
[ ] Lack of Motivation / Feeling Passive / Complacency
[ ] Extreme Anxiety / Panic Attacks
[ ] Severe Depression / Melancholy
[ ] Suicidal Thoughts

Physical
[ ] Penile Tissue Changes (narrowing, shrinkage, wrinkled)
[ ] Penis curvature / rotation on axis
[ ] Testicular Pain
[ ] Testicular Shrinkage / Loss of Fullness
[X ] Genital numbness / sensitivity decrease
[ ] Weight Gain
[ ] Gynecomastia (male breasts)
[ ] Muscle Wastage
[ ] Muscle Weakness
[ ] Joint Pain
[ ] Dry / Dark Circles under eyes

Misc
[ ] Prostate pain
[ ] Persistent Fatigue / Exhaustion
[ ] Stomach Pains / Digestion Problems
[ ] Constipation / “Poo Pellets”
[ ] Vision - Acuity Decrease / Blurriness
[ ] Tinnitus (ringing or high pitched sound in ears)
[ ] Hearing loss
[ ] Increased hair loss
[ ] Frequent urination
[ ] Lowered body temperature

[ ] Other (please explain)

What (if any) treatments have you undertaken to recover from your side effects since discontinuation of the drug? - L-Citrulline and Pycnogenol.

If you have pre or post-drug blood tests, what hormonal changes have you encountered since discontinuing the drug (please post your test results in the “Blood Tests” section and link to them in your post)? - No blood tests.

Anything not listed in the above questions you’d like to share about your experience? - Not really.

Tell us your story, in your own words, about your usage and side effects experienced while on/off the drug.

Hi again - started just experimenting with this, just to see. Swore to myself if I got any sides (ED especially) I’d quit. Didn’t think ANY of this would be happening to me…

I started with 1mg daily for the first four days. Strangely enough, seemed to get harder spontaneous erections for these four days. I tapered off to 0.5mg EOD until one fateful Wednesday three weeks later. I was sexting a new date, and for the life of me could NOT get it up, this is literally the first time IN MY LIFE this happened! From that moment on I stopped taking Fin; we were due to ‘meet up’ the following weekend, so I didn’t want any issues. Fast-forward to that following weekend and EVERYTHING was normal; I felt fine, we had sex all day from when we woke up, felt as great as ever, all perfect I thought…

…Then the following week things started to go wrong. I couldn’t keep an erection long, and when I did it was about 70-80% hard. Nerves and panic set in and the relationship ended when I confessed everything. I’ve lost morning wood now, if I mastrubate I can get about 80% hard, then it’ll just go soft again, then only gets hard again to about 80% before ejaculation, which is now (I’m pretty sure) slightly less than it was. Still feels as good though.

I’m in a panic constantly thinking I’ll never get better, and this’ll never improve. It’s affecting my work and my life in a huge way.

Bottom line is, and I’m sure what everyone in this position wants to ask is, how long until this gets better and will I ever get better? I only took this for a few weeks, not even a month! And not much of it.

I’m so so sorry if this is a rambling panic, but I really don’t know what to do. Will I get better?

Thanks so so much to anyone who reads and anyone who can help with anything.

2 Likes

Hi,

I am sorry this is happening to you. Unfortunately, noone can give you any percentages or guarantees. There have been people that took only a handful of pills or less that have been screwed way more than you. So the fact that you only took Fin for a short time does not necessarily mean you will be fine. However, most people seem to recover largely or fully, so chances are on your side. All you can do is wait and try not to obsess about this (I know that is easier said than done). Good luck! And never touch Fin or anything like it (Dutasteride, Accutane, SSRIs) ever again!

4 Likes

Thank you so so much - and goodness no I’m never doing anything of the sort ever again.

Hey there.

I have recovered my erections. I think a lot of people try and test themselves when this happens. I made a conscious decision to not do that when this happened, as I didn’t want to give myself a complex about it.

I think it’s good to make sure the blood is flowing and try and get an erection daily. BUT if it’s not happening, just give it up for the day.

I recommend you drink a little pomegranate juice (seriously!) every day as this helps with Nitric Oxide, which is necessary for erections.

Try and stay positive, the odds are in your favour.

3 Likes

I’m not an emotional guy, but literally cried a tear now - feeling hope for the first time in days and days. “Testing” myself and feeling destroyed over and over is exactly what I’ve been doing too!

I’ll get pomegranate juice in. If I might ask, how bad were your symptoms, what were they exactly, and how long did you take to recover fully?

Thank you both so much.

1 Like

Ok, so for me, my symptoms have cycled fairly consistently from about 2 months in.

I had some pain in my groin (seems to be resolved), fatigue (ongoing) difficulty with erections (resolved mostly, though sometimes it’s quicker than others) intermittent flaccid shrinkage (ongoing) and various headaches, difficulty concentrating, extreme insomnia, bad digestion, lack of motivation and creativity, all of which are better but come and go.

I think a month off I was definitely unable to reliably get an erection. I think you’re looking at waiting it out for at least another month, maybe 2.

You may or may not know much about what’s going on (and to be fair, scientists are still working it out) but you should, in my opinion, avoid any foods that inhibit the 5AR enzyme. This is what finasteride does. There are lots of these. It will be a pain at first.

Tomatoes, liquorice, soy, avocado, nuts, some mushrooms, mango, brown rice, are all on the list. A good idea would be to look on a hairloss website and see what they think you should eat to save your hair and then never eat those things.

Try to reduce your stress any way you can. At the beginning my fatigue was insane. I reduced my work to one day a week and could basically just about manage that. After a couple of months it was still a massive battle but I could manage a normal working week. Now, I can manage easily but have no energy for anything but sitting after work. Even going to dinner can be tiring.

Basically, I think you should take it easy for a while. Be kind to yourself and be selfish when it comes to other people’s demands on your time for a while.

4 Likes

So sorry to see your here with us mate
Don’t panic at this stage its early days unfortunately its all a waiting game to see if things improve or get worse.

Fingers crossed all comes good :+1:

4 Likes

Thanks hugely both of you.

Just been to the gym, sorry for the details but achieved an erection in the shower for about 3-4 minutes, at about 90% ‘strength’ for sure.

I’m not sure if that’s the creatine/DHT situation (I’ve read a lot, understood little so far) and if that’s even a good sign.

I’m so so so trying to be hopeful and positive, but this is a nightmare. Thank you all again.

1 Like

Hey No need to apologize here mate
I know its definitely not a subject that we talk about in everyday life but people are different here mate also we have to talk about these things or we would get nowhere in terms of understanding what side effects each of us experience talking also in stopping us from feeling so alone and isolated whilst trying to come to terms with things.
It’s really good news mate everyone will be happy for you we all know how exactly what you are going some of us have been stuck in this situation for years its nerve racking and very confusing.
From what you say things do sound to on the up
(No pun intended) I hope that made you smile.
All sounds good upto now matey fingers crossed you will be fine you did the right thing stopping the drug in the early stages of side effects :+1:

Keep us upto date its great to hear some positives here they truly are rare thing on this forum.

1 Like

I’m seriously overwhelmed right here at any grain of optimism. I realise this can take months or even years to resolve itself, but clutching at any positivity right now is keeping me going.

I’m truly grateful to anyone who’s replied or read this even, but thanks so much for the reassurance. I wouldn’t know what to do if this forum wasn’t around.

I’ll try and relax, maybe ease off “testing” and masturbation and creep along for a while. Also booked in with the Dr, will see what happens.

Again, thanks so so much everybody.

3 Likes

Hi all - I failed at not “testing” it, it’s not been brilliant these past two days. Mostly at 10-50% ‘hard’ I’d say over four times. I did wake up today with about 50% morning wood though. This looks on balance to be declining still, though I’ve stopped all supplements now, and had no creatine since Friday afternoon, which definitely did seem to help things.

I felt so so manic and low Friday night and into Saturday night; I thought I couldn’t face life this week. Today, coincidentally I fasted and slept/stayed in bed, and now do feel better for it. Like I could almost ride it out even if it did take months or years to improve.

Is any of this good or sounding positive? Should I try and fast tomorrow too?

Thank you all again so so much. Please tell me anything at all I might do.

For me they shouldn’t sell this drug any more!
Is it possible there is not anything to do to prevent that situations like this happen again?!..

Okay, I’m feeling like I need to try at least something, so I’ve ordered some Gingko Balboa. I’m hoping things get better, really struggling now. Is this sensible? Should I just not take anything?

1 Like

Hi mate
Theirs been one or two good reports from Ginko on this forum lately it doesn’t cost much and I doubt it will do you any harm to try.
Your still in the early days of problems and as manic alarming and desperate the situation seems you have to hold tight and keep things together mentally.
You didn’t take the drug for long you may just have to wait a little longer for things to level out mate.
Do you actually have the urge to masterbate or you do this just to test if your getting better ?
If you have a libido and want to masterbate its a positive sign.
I know its easy said but try to relax take your mind off of things and just let the clock tick mate. :+1:

1 Like

I will try, and thank you yet again - your PM and help here have been wonderful.

I do want to masturbate for sure, it doesn’t feel like I’ve lost any feeling in my penis exactly. I did say in the checklist above that I had, but actually I think that feels ok. I do for sure also/often want to test myself, and more often than not nothing happens down there, but here in bed a little while ago I got to about 80-90% even. Drops right off if I stop though.

If I test things (say at work/gym shower) and nothing happens, I get this horrific rising dread-panic, which is probably where posts like this come from… once again I’m so grateful for the help from yourself and everyone who’s replied, and doubly so for ANY glimmer of hope for me.

Today I took L-Citrulline and Pycnogenol, as well as my regular creatine/PWO. I don’t know if these help or hinder anything. I’ll try the Gingko when it arrives at 6000mg/day for a few weeks. Keeping motivated for gym is hard, and I used to love the gym so much.

I don’t know what I’d have done without finding this place, thank you all so much.

Hey keep us updated man. I used Fin for 6 months and quit in Jan 2018, and now 8 months later side effects returned. I’m having low libido, ED and loss of sensitivity, unable to get hard without manual stiumlation and losing erections fast. I’m hoping maybe its hormones adjusting or something else. Do let us know how you feel. I feel like I’m in the same boat as you. Hope you recover soon man!

I SEEM to be slowly slowly responding well to ginkgo at 12,000mg/day plus the above and a few others. I’ll keep updates coming as and when… Thank God this is at least leveling out if anything. Not fapping every day but EOD, seem to maintain now between 90% and 50% hardness, which does indeed fluctuate, but it’s an improvement already.

Saw the doctor also, who has seen most people rebound and recover on symptoms like mine for eg prostate fin prescription, but said it can take months.

Had nothing waking up today, but semi wood (about 20-30%) happened moments after, then subsided.

Anxiety seems to be a TOUCH better, feeling weak during the day sometimes, sleep is not terrible but MILES worse than it was before; tend to get to sleep about 10pm, wake up about 3-4am then doze. Work I’ve done, and the working day is ok-ish now if I try and stay stress-free. Not been to the gym this week though, might just rest this ouot and go back from next week.

Libido is still kinda there, blunted by the prevalent anxiety a bit I think but I still want to. Trying to remain positive, and doctor’s assurance that improvement is probably/likely has been an absolute godsend.

Please please cross fingers, send positive vibes and wish me luck - positivity in general seems to be helping a lot.

Supplements are:
Half tablespoon of Evening Primrose Oil Daily with pomegranate juice. (AM)
Vitamin D (AM)
Magnesium (AM)
B12/Methly combo. (AM)
Milk Thistle (AM)
Probiotic yoghurt drink

Gingko - 12,000mg split (AM) (PM)
Creatine - 4g (split AM/PM)
Tribulus - 750mg tabs, 2x (AM) 2x (PM).

Phosphatidylserine - 100mg (PM)
Pycnogenol [edit] - 1x tab (100mg) (PM)
B6 P-5-P - 50mg (PM)
L-citrulline - 1000mg (PM)

You are only a few weeks after discontinuation of Finasteride. It’s fairly common for people to improve in the first two years, so I’d be careful to attribute improvements to certain supplements you are taking. In fact, if I were in your shoes I’d not take anything. There is a good chance that you will improve on your own and there is a good chance that you may take something that will screw you up. Looking at your list and the supps I am familar with, Creatine and Milk Thistle has screwed people up here. Gingko also has antiandrogenetic effects. This is exactly what we want to avoid in general.

So, be careful, and if you insists on taking stuff, please research carefully. People have experimented for over a decade and a lot of peope have screwed themselves up by taking the wrong supps/meds.

Good luck!

4 Likes

This, 100 times.

Maybe more to ensure I hit the 20 character limit.

6 Likes

Gosh thanks folks - yes I’ve been doing a TON of research these past few weeks, settled on the above as the most sensible. Creatine I’ve taken for about forever (do weightlift) - shall I stop it dead or taper off?

Thank you both - thank you thank you. Hopefully I’ll still be mending and you stopped me in time…